Author Topic: Honda e  (Read 185569 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda e
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »

Press release for the Honda e:

https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/pressreleases/187281/frankfurt-international-motor-show-2019-3

More information will added here when available.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:33:35 AM by RichardA »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Honda e
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
Or check these four pages out here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11161.0

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

beerbelly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 05:10:16 AM »
"funny how time just slips away" ;)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »
I thought that the Honda e was a fairly small car. Evidently not!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »
One of the things that interests me about the Honda E is the relatively small battery. I've read various articles about this and Honda are quite unapologetic about this emphasising that this is an urban/city car. In due course, no doubt, bigger cars with a longer range will be introduced.

If the UK charging network wasn't so poor, 120 miles would do me.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »
Yes, the Honda e is specifically designed as a town car for which the range is fine. I also suspect that the range will drop off substantially if doing out-of-town cruising at 50 mph or more as the boxy shape can't be very aerodynamic.

We have to wait and see how Honda provide a longer range battery vehicle. Will the next Civic, for example, include a BEV option or will Honda produce a separate BEV model? Tesla, who only produce BEVs, make the floor pans as two sheets of metal with a load of lithium cells sandwiched between them but this isn't such a practical option if a BEV is a variant of a standard model which could offer combustion engines, mild hybrid, PHEV and BEV depending on the target market. Or maybe they'll go down the hydrogen fuel cell route for which the Honda Clarity https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/clarity-fcv is an example.  All will be revealed in due course.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 02:40:24 PM »
Yes, the Honda e is specifically designed as a town car for which the range is fine. I also suspect that the range will drop off substantially if doing out-of-town cruising at 50 mph or more as the boxy shape can't be very aerodynamic.

The range of BEV drops off quite steeply over 50mph anyway, as does the range of ICE, but maybe to a lesser extent.  50 or below is the sweet spot for most vehicles for best efficiency,  the Jazz that went Lands End to John O'Groats stayed pretty much at 40mph.   Seen tests of Tesla and if they took them on motorways for any distance range dropped like a lead balloon -  bank on 60% of claimed range,  especially if cold and wet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:45:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 03:35:46 PM »
I read a book about the Nissan Leaf a couple of years ago. Michael Boxwell iirc. Anyway he organised a test between the very first Nissan Leaf which had a very inefficient heater and a brand new one. Both were 24 kwh versions. The newer one would do a 100 miles in an urban stop/start environment but only 51 miles at 70 mph.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
Finally seen my first Honda E in the flesh here in Yorkshire. Maybe it’s a Honda E By Gum! It was parked alongside my RAV4 when I came out of Tesco. Quite a bit bigger than I imagined. Golf sized.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
Honda E By Gum! Love it!  8)

Its good to see a photo of the car in its natural surroundings. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh myself.

Question: Where have the wing mirrors gone?  ???

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
They are cameras now in little pods. It’s very spacious inside.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »
The Honda e is tested by Chris Harris on Top Gear tomorrow night, there is a preview on YouTube now

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
I was hoping they would put those cameras on the Mk 4 Jazz as there would be a useful reduction in wind drag. Electronics are cheap and probably cheaper than mirrors with motors and heaters. However, either Honda felt that the unconventional looks would scare potential purchasers or realised that the internal screens, if put next to the cameras, couldn't easily co-exist with the cup holders.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »
I was hoping they would put those cameras on the Mk 4 Jazz as there would be a useful reduction in wind drag. Electronics are cheap and probably cheaper than mirrors with motors and heaters. However, either Honda felt that the unconventional looks would scare potential purchasers or realised that the internal screens, if put next to the cameras, couldn't easily co-exist with the cup holders.
The air drag contribution of door  mirrors is tiny compared to all the other "bits and pieces" underneath the car,  mirrors are also cheap and last forever,  cameras deteriorate,  an owner of an Audi EV with cameras  for rear view is  complaining about the cameras  life expectancy of 18 months,  at 18 months of service the image quality deteriorated to poor,  they were not cheap to replace!

Tags: news jazz 

anything