Author Topic: Solar Battery Charger  (Read 1243 times)

chris_fl

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Mk1
Solar Battery Charger
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »
Hi there,

Does anyone use solar battery chargers for your Jazz when you go on holiday?
I have looked for a few online but not sure if all of them would work on a Jazz.
Are there any good brand out there that you would recommend?

My Jazz is a 2004 Mk1.

Thanks,

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Solar Battery Charger
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 07:47:51 AM »
Welcome Chris. How long do you intend going on holiday? On two occasions I have left my Mk 1 Jazz for 6 weeks and both times it turned over and started no problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
Welcome Chris. How long do you intend going on holiday? On two occasions I have left my Mk 1 Jazz for 6 weeks and both times it turned over and started no problem.

If you have an alarm fitted ( not the immobiliser, that is a passive device ) they can put a fair parasitic load on battery and sometimes 2 weeks will flatten battery, otherwise if you don't have alarm and your battery in decent nick 6 weeks should be fine.

No good plugging solar charger into cigarette lighter socket on Jazz,  not connected when ignition key out,  you can get a plug that fits into OBD socket and will be able to supply power to battery with ignition key out.  IIRC you can get solar chargers with the SAE socket on them, the same one that fits a lot of battery chargers now ( like the one on end of Halfords lead ) .

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/ring-obd-power-cable-for-solar-battery-maintainers

This solar panel has the SAE plug on to match Halfords OBD lead from above link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Automotive-Motorcycle-Powersports-Snowmobile/dp/B07DFD3RMS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=N0U20QIDHAMJ&keywords=solar+battery+charger+12v+ideal+for+cars&qid=1569011299&sprefix=solar+battery+charger%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVkJKRTcxMkZIOEYyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzg3NTkwMjZCN1I0UjhSWjNaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NTU3NzlVMTFUQjAxNjJTSTYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:29:08 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
As far as I am aware none of the Mk 1 models had an alarm fitted, hence my reply. Unless of course someone has fitted a third party alarm.

chris_fl

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Mk1
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
Last time I left my car for 2 weeks (CAT stolen) and the battery went flat.
I do have a Admiral black box installed a few years ago. Not sure if this has been draining my battery.

proud infidel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 honda fit MT
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:07:27 PM »
get a solargizer from amazon or ebay, my HMMWV never went deadline because a dead battery  ;)

Tags: