Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
I canít look at the front of the car without remembering the review on CarWow. The reviewer likened the front to an elderly fat man gurning
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: New South African variant.
« Last post by JimSh on January 21, 2022, 09:00:19 PM »

The life expectancy figures the ONS use are based on lifetime expectancy. You confused the issue by introducing incremental life expectancies of healthy people based on age today.  The figures you posted that a 85 year old can expect another X number of years certainly apply to a healthy person, but not, as I pointed out an already very sick 85 year old.  Your figures have no relevance to the subject being discussed.
I think you have misunderstood the figures Bazzer was quoting.
The lifetime expectancy at birth is going to include people who die young.
If you survive child hood illnesses and car crashes in your young daft days etc. you can expect to live longer than the average life expectancy of a person at birth (which includes the ages of people now deceased)
« Last post by JimSh on January 21, 2022, 08:46:44 PM »
I notice that for the last few days the BBC news, when reporting daily  deaths 'within 28 days of a positive covid test' now specifically say  this includes deaths that were not actually due to covid. 

The current daily figures, typically 300 -400,sound a lot compared to summer figures, and dont sit well with proposals to relax restrictions.  But may need to be put into context  Death rates have always risen considerably in winter months.
AS Jocko pointed out earlier the only really reliable statistic is excess mortality

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/excesswintermortalityinenglandandwales/2020to2021provisionaland2019to2020final
Explanation of changes in presentation.
https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2022/01/12/understanding-excess-deaths-during-a-pandemic/
« Last post by culzean on January 21, 2022, 08:41:56 PM »
I seriously doubt if those figures apply to people with multiple ( 2 or more ) serious health conditions, which is the cohort being discussed in relation to covid deaths.

At least we agree on something.

But YOU were the one who introduced the life expectancy figures, prompted by the bloke in the YouTube video.

The life expectancy of children born today - those were the figures that you posted - will not be affected by last year's COVID.  It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

If a prevention/cure can be found for prostate or ovarian cancer, that's the sort of thing that will have a positive effect on the life expectancy of kids born in the 2020s.

The life expectancy figures the ONS use are based on lifetime expectancy. You confused the issue by introducing incremental life expectancies of healthy people based on age today.  The figures you posted that a 85 year old can expect another X number of years certainly apply to a healthy person, but not, as I pointed out an already very sick 85 year old.  Your figures have no relevance to the subject being discussed. 
Just proves how ignorant 14 year olds are :P.
I love the look of the Crosstar (with maturity comes wisdom) ;D
Not quite so keen on the 'ordinary' MkIV, but wouldn't call it ugly, let alone 'FUGLY'
« Last post by Bazzzer on January 21, 2022, 08:20:27 PM »
I seriously doubt if those figures apply to people with multiple ( 2 or more ) serious health conditions, which is the cohort being discussed in relation to covid deaths.

At least we agree on something.

But YOU were the one who introduced the life expectancy figures, prompted by the bloke in the YouTube video.

The life expectancy of children born today - those were the figures that you posted - will not be affected by last year's COVID.  It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

If a prevention/cure can be found for prostate or ovarian cancer, that's the sort of thing that will have a positive effect on the life expectancy of kids born in the 2020s.

Does anyone have a similar issue with family members or friends disliking the Mk4's looks?

Not a mk4 but our oldest daughter used to hide when in the mk1.  Our younger daughter liked it so much she bought a mk2!
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020 - / Re: Can you help me please - Inside window problem
« Last post by Expatman on January 21, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »
Owners manual content:
We'll, that's a bit silly!
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Puncture?
« Last post by Jocko on January 21, 2022, 06:25:11 PM »
TBH  I would only check a valve if there is excessive pressure loss on just one tyre.
That was my philosophy until I checked my tyre pressures one afternoon, put the car in the garage, came down the next morning in the dark, drove my wife the 3 miles to work, came home, went to collect her four hours later and the tyre was pretty well flat. I reinflated the tyre to go and pick her up then went to my tyre fitter of choice. That six-mile trip had destroyed the tyre and it cost me £60 to replace a tyre with 3,000 miles use. All because the valve was leaking after checking. Now I check the valves are not passing every time I check the pressures.
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020 - / Re: What good reasons are there to buy a MK4
« Last post by John Ratsey on January 21, 2022, 06:06:11 PM »
With respect to the What Car accolade, I would have mentioned easy to drive, particularly quick response and plenty of torque, rather than the ride quality.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
anything