Author Topic: Garmin Maps Europe 2024 Available  (Read 16551 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Garmin Maps Europe 2024 Available
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 08:37:08 AM »
I wonder if it's a Garmin issue or the headunit capacity ?

On the older Garmin PND's, rather than use a SD card to boost storage I reduced my maps from full Europe to just UK & Ireland
Let's be careful out there !

dayjavoo

• Registered Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024, 01:22:15 PM »

On the older Garmin PND's, rather than use a SD card to boost storage I reduced my maps from full Europe to just UK & Ireland

That's the sort of fix I would find acceptable but tailoring the map update files doesn't seem to be an option in Garmin Express - it's either all of Europe 2024 or nothing.  At the very least, I think the latest set of EU maps (2023) small enough to fit into the head unit should be made available.  Otherwise, if for some reason the satnav mapset becomes corrupted there will now be no means of obtaining a set of maps which can be reloaded.  There seems to have been monumental lack of foresight in the Garmin/Honda design team to have provided a system with such a limited headroom in the map storage capacity.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 03:40:06 PM »
I wonder if it's a Garmin issue or the headunit capacity ?

I use to keep as backup in may NAS the last map set uploaded in the unit, so a couple of days ago I tried to upload again in the Connect  the EU 2022 version: the process went fine, so there are at least 7,7GB memory working.   Opening the .xml file generated by the unit during the first step of the update process, I can read:
<Volumes>
<Volume Name="Internal-0" Id="1017266152" Free_space="608710656" Permissions="1"/>
<Volume Name="Internal-1" Id="1017266152" Free_space="1302839296" Permissions="-1"/>
</Volumes>

so Garmin Express knows the capacity of the unit and should generate the proper set of files. The EU2024 is 0,6GB bigger than the EU2022 reaching 8,4GB.

dayjavoo

• Registered Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2024, 01:15:42 PM »
My xml file shows similar, but not identical, indications of free space to what jazzaro has published.  However, I don't see how Garmin Express could tailor the EU map files to the available storage space without reducing the area of coverage - and for that it would have to know which regions are of interest to the user.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2024, 02:45:10 PM »
With my Garmin standalone you could specify areas to make it fit your capacity. IIRC it was not just a choice of dropping back from  'all Europe' to UK and Ireland only.  I think  you could selectively exclude  outlying areas such as those parts of Russia, Turkey etc sometimes included  on European mapping. 

If full coverage now exceeds the  capacity of some units   I dont see why Garmin   cannot give a choice of Europe update  versions with slightly reduced coverage to fit  under 8GB.   I think they already limit the area of  updates based on the price you pay.  eg   UK and Ireland only , Western Europe only, All Europe, etc. Why not add an all  Europe sub  8gb  version? . (Or  versions-  You chose which are coverage best suits your needs. )  Its bad enough that they might render a standalone obsolete in this way, but they shouldnt be able to do it on a unit fitted to your car, if you willing to pay for updates. 

I believe the Garmin Explore web site lets you manage way points and routes etc on some GPS trackers.   But as far as I know  it cant be used to download  the map updates to your computer ,  delete map files for   countries you dont need  and then upload a smaller update to the car.       Unless someone knows different  :D.  Possibly a security risk  to their paid for updates     
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 03:10:48 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2024, 03:26:20 PM »
I'm still of the opinion that the problem is that each update isn't wiping all previous data, as seen in the MyMaps screen where, on mine at least, it still shows it has data from 2021,2022 and 2023

The head units are slowly filling up

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 03:45:07 PM »
My xml file shows similar, but not identical, indications of free space to what jazzaro has published.  However, I don't see how Garmin Express could tailor the EU map files to the available storage space without reducing the area of coverage - and for that it would have to know which regions are of interest to the user.
Yep, hardly GE can tailor the update but it could immediately give an error message when you connect the pendrive to the PC. I've paid for the update BEFORE getting the error message.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 03:45:56 PM »
I'm still of the opinion that the problem is that each update isn't wiping all previous data, as seen in the MyMaps screen where, on mine at least, it still shows it has data from 2021,2022 and 2023

Something could still be stored, yes..

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 03:58:40 PM »
I've got no intention of updating my built in maps

I'm perfectly happy using Android Auto Google Maps. Far superior IMO

dayjavoo

• Registered Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 10:58:49 AM »
Well, that sounds a good scheme if available.  But is the Jazz Mk3 compatible with Android Auto?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 11:15:58 AM »
Well, that sounds a good scheme if available.  But is the Jazz Mk3 compatible with Android Auto?

No.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2024, 02:08:52 PM »
Note to self ......  must pay attention to the Jazz model

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 03:32:56 PM »
been using Google Maps a lot more now , already found some advantages over the onboard Garmin.

- I prefer the satellite view

- advises of closed roads and reroutes automatically

- advises of traffic congestion.

- can work out the route at the desk on the PC and send directly to the phone.

- can set the route by touching the screen and placing pins for start and destination.

no doubt there's more I haven't found yet and probably disadvantages too.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2024, 07:59:23 AM »
I like to use built-in navi in my GK Jazz, because it is there in appropriate position and always usable without any connection, either data or power supply or need of any holder.

I use my smartphone as navigator in rental cars abroad, and it is such a hassle that I really don't like it.

I really hope I can load the latest map update to my Jazz unit.

dayjavoo

• Registered Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2024, 09:11:10 AM »

Something could still be stored, yes..

I've checked MyMaps and only the 2023 map set is shown. But I do agree that residual redundant files could be left over from previous uploads if the IT housekeeping isn't very clever.  I do seem to have coverage for the whole of Europe, divided into two regions, North and South.  In my circumstances I guess I could manage with just EU North, if it's a question of saving space, but I wouldn't know how to tailor the download to build maps for just this region.

Tags: