Author Topic: Brake wear  (Read 3851 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Brake wear
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
how did you know cvt oil had not been changed
Although I have a pre-paid 5-year service plan, my 2nd year service at 20,000 itemised all the expenditure, including £45.74 (+VAT) for 4 litres of CVT fluid.  Mind you, that doesn't prove that it was changed!  The total notional bill was £288.65, and as I paid only £550 for the 5-year plan, the apparent profit margins are considerable.  The discs and pads were coded green, as opposed to amber or red.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
cannot find any info as to when air filter due to be changed, report says 25000 but dealer has said that these sheets are for all models so not very accurate, they have said 35000, can anyone confirm this.

The mk2 is 37,500 and 75,000 miles for air filter, I would think the mk3 would be the same. I know that because when we bought our mk2, it was supposed to have had it's 50K service, but had a dirty air filter. zzaj helpfully pointed me to a service checksheet that had been attached to another post by another member (John Ratsey I think?).

I also asked them what was reported on brake wear, they are still saying 65% fronts and 70% rear, car was a year old when bought it so obviously do not know what treatment the brakes had before me, strange rears are below the fronts ??

As I said above, the front pads start off around 50% thicker than the fronts, so it's not unusual to see the rear pads with less material left. 65% and 70% is more or less the same, it will only be a visual guesstimate after all - unless thay actually remove the pads, put a caliper on them and work it out.

I wouldn't be changing the pads until they were below 2mm anyway. 4 & 5mm might last you several years if you are not heavy on the brakes. Bear in mind that there is also an audible warning device fitted to the pads to stop you wearing them down to the backing plates. If they start squealing, brake pads needed!

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »
It's bad though isn't it. I know, over the years, various secret shopper type tests from Which show something like 75% of garages don't do the service properly. They do seem to change the oil though so that's something. I'd love to find a good independent once I'm out of warranty.
me too.....

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »
cannot find any info as to when air filter due to be changed, report says 25000 but dealer has said that these sheets are for all models so not very accurate, they have said 35000, can anyone confirm this.

The mk2 is 37,500 and 75,000 miles for air filter, I would think the mk3 would be the same. I know that because when we bought our mk2, it was supposed to have had it's 50K service, but had a dirty air filter. zzaj helpfully pointed me to a service checksheet that had been attached to another post by another member (John Ratsey I think?).

I also asked them what was reported on brake wear, they are still saying 65% fronts and 70% rear, car was a year old when bought it so obviously do not know what treatment the brakes had before me, strange rears are below the fronts ??

As I said above, the front pads start off around 50% thicker than the fronts, so it's not unusual to see the rear pads with less material left. 65% and 70% is more or less the same, it will only be a visual guesstimate after all - unless thay actually remove the pads, put a caliper on them and work it out.

I wouldn't be changing the pads until they were below 2mm anyway. 4 & 5mm might last you several years if you are not heavy on the brakes. Bear in mind that there is also an audible warning device fitted to the pads to stop you wearing them down to the backing plates. If they start squealing, brake pads needed!
That was the other ? I was going to ask, does the mk3 have any sensors fro low brake pad wear, so just to confirm you think that there is? 

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »
I went back to the garage yesterday to ask them to recheck, now saying 80% worn and to go back January/February to have them changed, think they are quoting the Honda set price of £138, assuming that is 1 set only...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:15:29 AM by Roddy0000 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »
I was going to ask, does the mk3 have any sensors fro low brake pad wear, so just to confirm you think that there is?

No sensors as such, just some audible wear indicators in the form of looped bits of steel rivetted to the pads, same as the mk1 and mk2 pads.

When the pads wear down, the wear indicators touch the discs and squeal, before any damage is done.

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
I was going to ask, does the mk3 have any sensors fro low brake pad wear, so just to confirm you think that there is?

No sensors as such, just some audible wear indicators in the form of looped bits of steel rivetted to the pads, same as the mk1 and mk2 pads.

When the pads wear down, the wear indicators touch the discs and squeal, before any damage is done.

Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread so .... are the audible indicators on the rear pads as well as the front? I ask because if not then I need to get under the car to check the rears for myself ... :-)

Ta.
Dave
Carpe diem …

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »

Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread so .... are the audible indicators on the rear pads as well as the front? I ask because if not then I need to get under the car to check the rears for myself ... :-)

Ta.

Both the front and rear have audible indicators, these operate about 1.5mm pad left IIRC,  otherwise a torch and small 'mirror on a stick' should let you see brake pads ( if you have alloys with a decent gap between spokes ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 11:33:58 AM »

Ta.

Both the front and rear have audible indicators, ........

Excellent! Thank you.
Dave
Carpe diem …

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 04:05:05 PM »

Ta.

Both the front and rear have audible indicators, ........

Excellent! Thank you.

The alarm metal strip is part of the pad not caliper, but have never seen a set of pads without the metal strip.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything