Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 2490 times)

guest7483

Brakes
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
Hi

I'm going to refresh my rear brakes, what are a decent make of pads?

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
I use Brembo from Eurocarparts front and back. Seems ok.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
Hi Molly, I've just done mine all round pads and discs (75,000 miles) and did the discs because they will inspected more closely after May on MOT. Mine was MOT'd last week and the new brakes I used bedded in by the time of the test.
Brembo are a good make and often used in high performance cars.
I use Pagid brake pads (and discs this time) and have always used Pgid since I had my Jazz and also do my two sons with Pagid pads as well. Euro car parts often do a 50% sale on brake parts. Pagid are slightly cheaper than Brembo.
I paid about £126 for front and rear pads and discs for my 2013 Jazz.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
I've always used Mintex pads and discs whenever possible, never had any problems.

Pagid and Mintex are part of the same company, so I wouldn't expect problems with either.

guest7483

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
Thanks all I'll have look at them.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »
I used Brembo front and rear.
Excellent.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
Molly, if you are intending to the job yourself, be aware of the bolt that secures the handbrake cable to the suspension. I found out the hard way and it has been discussed here. It is possible to change the pads without removing this bolt BUT it is easier with it removed. ( there isn't much slack in the cable even with the bolt removed).
I would suggest you refer to the on line manual.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
if you are going to do rear brakes you need a 'retract tool' to turn and push the hydraulic piston back in,  http://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/1314  I have had one of these for many years and it makes the job easy.  There are also little raised pegs on the rear brake pad backing piece that fit into the same radial slots in the piston face as the pegs on the retract tool use,  make a note of where the slots are on the piston when you refit the pads (one of the slots horizontal to align with pegs) otherwise the pegs on pad backing plate can case a gap between piston and back of pad,  I have no doubt the pegs and slots will eventually twist and line up but much better to try and make sure they do straight away.

The front pistons just push back,  but because of the way the handbrake works to rear pistons have to be rotated as you push them back.   As pistons are pushed back brake fluid will be displaced back into the reservoir so make sure it does not overflow and make a mess (also a very good paint stripper).

You can use long nosed pliers to fit into slots and twist piston back in (RH thread) but I found the proper tool a lot better. Strangely Halfords sells the laser tool above for about £35.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:15:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7483

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the tips on replacing the pads. I shall acquire the tools necessary next week :)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
Check ebay prices on tools..there are some real bargains  -IF you are careful..(I bought a cheaper retractor -http://tinyurl.com/y973fv4z - which worked fine after adjustment of the pins with a file)

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
I must admit as standard I now remove the coil spring on the handbrake return on each side so I can check it's free and grease it all up. i take the two bolts out of the handbrake cable restraining bracket so I can disconnect the cable all together. I know the other methods but this works for me so is my method of choice. I was told to line up the cross in the middle of the rear piston with the hole at the bottom of the calliper to ensure piston is in the right place.  I'm not sure you can get the pads in and fitted around the disc if the lugs on the pads aren't in the recesses anyway. Molly see if you can do inside, it's not the weather yet for outside brakes! Good luck but it is straightforward. 

Tags: