Author Topic: Installing Android Apps on your head unit  (Read 6628 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Android Apps on your head unit
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
Doug

Sygic. I followed the instructions on CMDroid.com, including putting the Sygic files in the root of a USB stick, but when I try to start Sygic it tries to download from Google Play and stops with an error. Can you advise what you did to avoid this?
No troubles also for me using Sygic on the Connect.
Put the folder Sygic in the main root of a USB stick (FAT32 filesystem, NTFS will not be read, and  it doesn't matter if the USB stick contains also other files like mp3 or txt),  and then install the app Sygic, it should see the folder immediately.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:45:18 PM by jazzaro »

Garth

• View Profile
  • My Honda: Jazz es1.3
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
I have tried to add Google maps to my 2017 reg jazz. Using the two regular methods I have failed totally. cmdroid permissions won't install. I use LGMirrordrive to connect up and have gmaps ready on the phone front screen. A bit clunky but it works. Samsung car mode does not mirrorlink. What is the problem and what is the cure?

andruec

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
I have tried to add Google maps to my 2017 reg jazz. Using the two regular methods I have failed totally. cmdroid permissions won't install. I use LGMirrordrive to connect up and have gmaps ready on the phone front screen. A bit clunky but it works. Samsung car mode does not mirrorlink. What is the problem and what is the cure?
The problem is Honda/Pioneer not understanding the pace of change in the IT world and probably not giving a flying fig anyway. The version of Android that the infotainment unit runs on was obsolete before the car even went on sale.

Hardware manufacturers have never understood software and never given it the credit it deserves. To them it's an afterthought - something to be farmed out to the lowest bidder. There is so much more they could have done here. They could have produced something revolutionary something genuinely significant. Instead they shovelled out some barely functioning crap and pretty much forgot about it.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • My Honda: 2016 Mk3 EX CVT, Red
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
Why is it not possible up upgrade the Android version with a download from the Android website, in the same manner as you would with Win8 to Win10? or have I completely misunderstood the problem.

andruec

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
Why is it not possible up upgrade the Android version with a download from the Android website, in the same manner as you would with Win8 to Win10? or have I completely misunderstood the problem.
No, that's a reasonable question. The most likely reason we can't is because 'Android' comes in many flavours and is typically customised for the hardware it will run on. It may be possible to customise the current version in the same way and install that but I doubt it. Each major version of Android tends to be bigger and perform more tasks than the previous one. It's unlikely that the infotainment unit has enough memory or processing power to handle the current version. I'd be pretty sure that it was given just enough resources for what it was sold as with no spare capacity for anything else.

It's also likely that Honda/Pioneer have attempted to prevent that being done because..um they don't want us to. They'd probably argue that it could damage the infotainment unit or cause a malfunction that destroys the global ecosystem or some such drivel. It's not really in their interest to let us. They'd far rather sell us a new vehicle. Or maybe even they just don't give a damn and the easiest way for them is to make it such that there's nothing we can do so we won't bother them about it.

In way that's fair enough. We bought a car not a computer with wheels. But..it could have been a lot better than it was. They could have gone with better hardware, up to date software and produced a world leading infotainment experience that demonstrated they had their finger on the pulse of modern personal technology.

But they didn't. Maybe next time  :'(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:41:31 PM by andruec »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • My Honda: 2017 HR-V 1.6 EX
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »

Have you initially done a factory reset before trying to install permissions? Have you look to see what build version you have? Is it 0F.95.**.** by any chance?

Tags: