Author Topic: How do you wash your wheels?  (Read 3792 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: How do you wash your wheels?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »
I did! With silicone sealer.
Not what I'd call an adhesive. I would use super glue or Gorilla glue.

Dayjo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
Not back in those days, you wouldn't!

Nothing wrong with s/s, applied sensibly. I have even repaired shoes, sticking on, new soles.......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
How long ago are you talking about? I have used Cyanoacrylate adhesive (super glue) for almost 40 years, and it was around before that.
Sorry. Rambling again!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
Not back in those days, you wouldn't!

Nothing wrong with s/s, applied sensibly. I have even repaired shoes, sticking on, new soles.......

Superglue has been around a long time, they used it in Vietnam war to stick wounds together rather than stitches. I had a gash on my head superglued together by local hospital a few years ago...

Araldite (two part epxoy) was used to stick Mosquito planes together in WW2,  they have recovered parts where the wood was pretty much gone but the glue was as strong as ever.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:09:35 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 01:45:44 AM »
An original Wheel Woolie (small) will do the job! They are very soft and don’t damage paint and save your fingers. ;)

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
Araldite (two part epxoy) was used to stick Mosquito planes together in WW2,  they have recovered parts where the wood was pretty much gone but the glue was as strong as ever.
The articles I've seen such as this http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_mosquito_far_east.html report that the glue used in the Mosquitos didn't like the hot and humid climate of the far east. This site https://www.fighter-planes.com/info/mosquito.htm reports a change of glue "special casein-based (later formaldehyde) wood glue" which isn't an epoxy glue. I would have thought that relatively viscous expoxy glue, best cured by putting it in an oven, wouldn't be the best choice for wood.

While on this subject, I recall going in 1969 on a school trip to Bristol to visit BAC(?) and Rolls Royce factories and saw parts of jet aircraft wings being made by using araldite to glue aluminium honeycomb between two aluminium sheets.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
I have used TFR = Traffic Film Remover for really stubborn ground in stuff and of course brake dust you can buy from most car accessory shops or on line but just make sure you rinse off and dry You will have to dilute as per instructions on the bottle/container.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
I have used TFR = Traffic Film Remover for really stubborn ground in stuff and of course brake dust you can buy from most car accessory shops or on line but just make sure you rinse off and dry You will have to dilute as per instructions on the bottle/container.

I agree TFR (aka Truck wash) Is a good cleaner but you must be careful with it as it is an aggressive cleaner. Most lorries and buses are plastic wrapped which protects the paint. As a last resort I would use it (carefully) on wheels but not on car paintwork or plastic trim. I find that alloy wheel cleaner and a soft brush work for me but I clean my wheels frequently.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:42:33 PM by Skyrider »

Tags: