Author Topic: Key Fob Battery Life - Mk3 EX  (Read 1977 times)

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
Key Fob Battery Life - Mk3 EX
« on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:59 PM »
The car would not unlock/lock using the fob after only 18 months from delivery of the car new. The replacement  battery  then failed to start the car using the push button start (according to warning display) after only a further 3 months. :o  Dealer supplied the first replacement and replaced the second battery free of charge. Thank you. :)

At the same time as the engine failure above, the second spare key fob with its original battery also quickly became weak according to the dash warning display(large orange key). it managed to start the car. Dealer replaced battery free of charge. And no sensor fault indicated by diagnostic test at dealer. Thank you  :)

Does anyone else have experience of short life key fob batteries ? What should you expect with so many functions using it ?  ???

Bearing in mind the battery in the fob has to trigger central locking, the push button engine start and perhaps even the stop-start restart at traffic lights, the life I suppose would be less than in the old days for just remote central locking (when batteries seemed to last 9 or 10 years). It also prevents the car being started without the key fob close by the push button inside the car which is added security  :'(

Avoiding pressing the fob to unlock the car by touching the front door or the rear hatch handle, and locking the car by pressing the button on the front door handle...do these make any difference to key fob battery life ?  :-\

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:32:20 PM by DaveBerks »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Key Fob Battery Life - Mk3 EX
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
I replaced mine at about the two year mark.
I always lock and unlock the car with the door handles/boot buttons and do about 6000 miles a year.
It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

DaveBerks

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
But I think it is quite reasonable to have some expectation of key fob battery life given the various essential functions in the car which depend on it. One expects a modern car to be designed to be used on daily basis.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
Mine seemed to last about two years. It never actually failed but I had a couple of odd messages appearing on the dash and the car beeped a few times unexpectedly. Replacing it was easy enough.

Tags: