Author Topic: Honda Jazz CVT - Getting the car quickly off the line from rest  (Read 7148 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Honda Jazz CVT - Getting the car quickly off the line from rest
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
I find the 1.5 CVT D mode more than adequate 90% of the time, S mode sorts the rest.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:51:39 PM by Skyrider »

barcam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
I find the 1.5 CVT D mode more than adequate 90% of the time, S mode sorts the rest.

I agree, it just a matter of adjusting your driving style. I had forgotten about the kick down function, I tried it again yesterday with satisfying results.

I have never tried kick down and "s" mode, I will give it a go tomorrow on the motorway. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:37:07 AM by Barcam »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
Oh I agree, even the 1.3 has plenty of acceleration most of the time. But in some circumstances when starting from stationary you need to begin your move a bit ahead of time. That's partly why I always try to avoid coming to a complete halt. With the Mk3 idle stop is another reason but even without that you need to be aware of a slight lag in getting off the line.

You could probably argue that it's only a problem if you're trying to charge into a gap that's barely big enough for you and perhaps that kind of move is just to be avoided anyway. But sometimes at a busy roundabout that's the only way to get out into the flow.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:44:02 AM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »
As the demographic of UK jazz owners is somewhat senior I sometimes wonder how many of them have experienced the effects of I-VTEC. I remember many years ago reading a Ford report saying that the average UK driver rarely used more than a low percentage of their engines total power output. I can't remember the exact figure but 40% rings a bell. This may have changed due to modern traffic speeds but does not surprise me. A couple of my bus pass carrying friends own Jazzes, I doubt if they have ever exceeded 3,000 rpm and would not understand what I-VTEC is even if explained to them, one thinks she has a 1.6 Mk 3 Jazz (it's a 1.3) I have not disallusioned her.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:36:50 PM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
I remember many years ago reading a Ford report saying that the average UK driver rarely used more than a low percentage of their engines total power output.
That's definitely the case. That's why I've never seen the point of driving a powerful car. I out accelerate most people when the way ahead is clear. Even if I'm only kicking the car out of Atkinson mode to 3,000 rpm I usually accelerate faster. Flooring the accelerator opens up quite a gap even if it's a high performance car behind me most of the time.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 01:09:01 PM »
I've definitely mentioned this on another thread but there are a number of roundabouts that I use from time to time when an "assertive" driving style is required. I've found dropping into "S" mode for these situations does the job for me.

Ditto..S mode, floor throttle..great for crossing busy main roads at a junction..

Tags: