Author Topic: Changing wheel sizes from 16" rims to 15" rims  (Read 1989 times)

guest4871

Changing wheel sizes from 16" rims to 15" rims
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Inspired by Culzean's regular endorsement of the general concept, I am pondering changing my 16" alloy wheels with 185/55 R16 tyres on my Mk2 EX to 15" alloy wheels with 175/ 65 R15 tyres.

If anyone else has done this, I would very much appreciate your thoughts and/ or experiences.

(a) Did you notice any obvious benefits particularly in overall ride, handling and comfort?

(b) If you have made the change, did you have any issues with your insurance company?

(c) Are there any points to be aware of?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Changing wheel sizes from 16" rims to 15" rims
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
Inspired by Culzean's regular endorsement of the general concept, I am pondering changing my 16" alloy wheels with 185/55 R16 tyres on my Mk2 EX to 15" alloy wheels with 175/ 65 R15 tyres.

If anyone else has done this, I would very much appreciate your thoughts and/ or experiences.

(a) Did you notice any obvious benefits particularly in overall ride, handling and comfort?

(b) If you have made the change, did you have any issues with your insurance company?

(c) Are there any points to be aware of?

Both wheel / tyre sizes are on drivers B  pillar label, so both sizes homolgated for the mk2 Jazz. 

Besides the quieter and more comfortable ride, better mpg, less chance of pothole damage, and longer tyre life,  you will also notice you pay less for tyres and have more choice ...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:05:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:19:00 PM »
I put our 2009 EX on 15" wheels - intended it to be an experiment with Michelin Alpin winter tyres but they worked well in all conditions and lasted so much longer than the original 16" Dunlop SP2030's the car came with that they've been left on year round ever since.  Back then there wasn't much choice of summer tyre for the 16" size and they were expensive.  I got the Michelins from Costco for £60 each, but I'm sure they'd be dearer now.

Son-in-law has the car now.  I was pretty amazed when he changed the tyres recently and put the same ones on again.

We used the car for pottering about and I can't say I noticed any difference at all.  My wife astonished me by saying she felt the steering was less precise - quite where she even got that expression from, I have no idea.  The windscreen could be missing and I doubt she'd notice unless it was raining.  Jazz isn't a car you'd think of for precise steeering - perhaps she drives much harder when I'm not in the car!

No issues with our insurance company (LV=) they said they were only concerned if bigger wheels/tyres were fitted.  I know son-in-law told his insurer (Hastings, I think) and I don't believe it was an issue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:20:58 PM by Rory »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
My wife astonished me by saying she felt the steering was less precise
The 16 inch wheels with Dunlop SP2030 sports premium tyres should make the steering better. That is one of the things they are designed to do.

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
I changed from 16 to 15 inch rims and fitted Michelin Cross Climate tyres and have never regretted doing so.  the ride is improved and less road noise. These tyres being wider also reduce the risk of damaging the rims on the kerb.
The wheels I obtained via a Honda dealer on Ebay and paid £229 delivered for 4 brand new rims and the tyres I got from Black Circles on line. I haven't notified my insurer as both sizes are available on new cars.
Hope this helps.

Tags: