Author Topic: Handbrake well stuck.  (Read 1936 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Handbrake well stuck.
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:16 AM »
This morning, when I came to drive car out of the garage, I found the handbrake was well stuck. It took 3 attempts, about on the verge of stalling, before it released and for the first couple of brake applications afterwards the brakes were audible in their action.
I put the car away at Saturday lunchtime, after a 40 mile drive in heavy rain, surface water and spray. Today was the first use since.
As I seldom use the brakes they didn't get a chance to dry out, and the pads obviously stuck to the disc. I will try and remember to leave the handbrake off when the car is in the garage. I always leave it in gear anyway.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Handbrake well stuck.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
This morning, when I came to drive car out of the garage, I found the handbrake was well stuck. It took 3 attempts, about on the verge of stalling, before it released and for the first couple of brake applications afterwards the brakes were audible in their action.
I put the car away at Saturday lunchtime, after a 40 mile drive in heavy rain, surface water and spray. Today was the first use since.
As I seldom use the brakes they didn't get a chance to dry out, and the pads obviously stuck to the disc. I will try and remember to leave the handbrake off when the car is in the garage. I always leave it in gear anyway.

If I was parking on a level garage floor or even a level driveway (ours is anything but level) I would always leave car in gear with handbrake off as ours have stuck a few times (the rear drums never used to). I always leave car in 1st gear even when handbrake is used anyway - I don't trust handbrakes as a cable can give way at any time and I don't trust disc handbrakes at all.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
I always leave my car in gear as well. Not that I don't have faith in a disc handbrake. I don't have faith in ANY handbrake. Loved "Park" on the automatics.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
After leaving my car in the garage, with the handbrake off, I have had to revert to using it. I have found that I use the handle as a support, as I slide into the driving seat, and having the handbrake off, cheated me of my aid!
That's what happens when you approach 70.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
At 81 I find I have to use the armrest for the same reason ;D

Tags: