Author Topic: Cracked windscreen  (Read 2330 times)

Beaver

• Approved Member
Cracked windscreen
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »
Just for information, I have a 2012 model Jazz that suffered two cracks to the front windscreen caused by airborne stones on 16th May this year.   I reported this to my insurer and Autoglass was tasked with replacing it, with a fitting booked for the following Wednesday (23rd May).

On 23rd May I received a text message stating that the glass wasn't held in stock and the fitting appointment was cancelled.   Since then, I've made two calls to Autoglass to chase this up, as no further fitting appointment has been offered.

On both occasions I have been told that the glass has been ordered and that it's in transit to Autoglass.   As I write, on 7th June - 15 days after I requested a replacement windscreen - still nothing.

I'm not writing this to complain about anything.   I'm lucky enough that the car is driveable and safe.   It's just a heads-up to anyone who may need a similar replacement, that some considerable delay may occur if Autoglass is the company your insurer uses.

I'm wondering if the delay is being caused by the glass having to be shipped from Japan.

Has anyone else had an issue with glass replacement?

Stickshifter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 S 2014
Re: Cracked windscreen
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:01:38 AM »
I had to have my Mk2 Jazz's windscreen replaced by Autoglass last Summer. A wheel nut was flicked up on the motorway by a truck and put a crack right in the centre of the glass at the bottom. It was replaced in 2 days by Autoglass but the guy did say there was only one screen in stock at the time so I was lucky to get it. I guess they don't keep many in stock.

Incidentally, after they fitted the new one I had an annoying wind noise from the front passenger side of the screen at the bottom. It turned out to be a broken clip under the bonnet hinge cover that allowed the plastic piece to vibrate at higher speeds. It must have snapped when the screen replacer removed the cover.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
I'm wondering if the delay is being caused by the glass having to be shipped from Japan.

I wouldn't have thought Autoglass would ship windscreens from Japan, the cars are made in Swindon and I would have thought that even OEM glass would be sourced locally.

In any case, Autoglass would probably fit one from an aftermarket supplier - my local supplier has them in stock for £73+VAT.

If you can't get any joy from Autoglass, go back to your insurer and explain the situation. They should be able to organise an alternative company, or at least authorise you to go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:35:04 AM by sparky Paul »

Beaver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

The nearest genuine windscreen that Honda UK can source is in Belgium at £324.78.   Although my car was a Swindon production, no Jazz has been built there since 2014.   Jazz production was moved back to Japan.

I feel that Autoglass are sourcing abroad (via Honda UK) as they have told me they would try to fit a genuine Honda screen if available.

Fingers crossed.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »
Good luck, I hope it gets sorted soon.

You would think, with the number of Jazzes in the UK, that somebody would keep one or two in stock.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:20:50 PM by sparky Paul »

Beaver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »
UPDATE

Just for info - Having reported my cracked windscreen on 16th May, Yesterday (19th June) it was finally replaced by Autoglass.

No explanation was offered as to why it takes such a long time to procure the correct screen, but then again, the unhelpful chap they sent is at the wrong end of the food chain to have that information.

Here's hoping I don't have the experience again.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
Years' ago my brother's wife scratched his screen with her diamond ring.  He went to the glass company to have it replaced under insurance.  The guy said that is was not broken and would not be covered.  "That's the other thing", my brother said "Do you have a broom I can borrow?".  An hour later he drove away with a replaced screen, all covered :)

Tags:

anything