Author Topic: Jazz 2018 SE Water in Driver Side footwell !  (Read 6073 times)

Philno

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
Jazz 2018 SE Water in Driver Side footwell !
« on: November 19, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »
Hello all

I live in Yorkshire and like the rest of the UK we've had a lot of heavy rain the last few days.

I have not used my Jazz for a couple of days and when I opened the driver's door this afternoon I was shocked to find a pool of water about 1" deep in the driver's footwell. I am assuming it was rain water that had got in as it was clear in colour and did not smell of coolant. Having mopped it up, I drove the car to the Supermarket and back. Due to failing daylight I couldn't really start looking at what the cause could be and will make a start on this tomorrow.

I park my car on my drive, which slopes about 30 degrees downwards. It is not horizontally flat either and so when you look at the parked car from the front, the drivers side is tilted downwards by about 15 to 20 degrees- therefore when it rains, water flows down the car more to the front left (drivers) side.

I'm just wondering if anyone with a 3rd gen Jazz has had similar problems. The passenger front footwell is bone dry. I have read on your forum that older Jazz's have had similar problems, both front and rear.

Obviously, I will check door drain holes and seals, plus the area below the windscreen and under the bonnet. The leak does not appear to be coming from where the pedals are located as the carpet felt there is dry.

The car has only done 15000 miles and I've never experienced this on previous cars so any ideas would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Phil

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
Re: Jazz 2018 SE Water in Driver Side footwell !
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 11:32:44 PM »
Might be worth parking the other way around to see if the water collects on the other side.
Beyond that it could be the usual suspects, has the windscreen been replaced and not sealed properly? Or are the plastic sheets behind the door cards letting water in, has a side window been replaced?
The footwells are quite deep, so it's unlikely it's travelled from passenger to driver's side.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 06:28:14 AM »
Had previous 2014 model where a grommet in front left pillar to seal electric wire had been omitted at build letting water in on flooded road?

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 08:46:09 AM »
A 2014 is a Swindon built car and the error is excusable, but the OP has a Japan built car, if that had happened the worker would be in prison for many years lol....

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 02:34:59 PM »
I have had this problem. It arose after having the passenger door repainted due to being scratched.
I experienced water on the bottom of the door seal and water at the base of the door panel, I took the panel off and noted that the plastic door sealing sheet had been refitted with a gap (kinked) allowing water to pass through.
Luckily, I was able to smooth out the kinks, however the sealant beading isn't as thick and there's some residual water which stays behind the sheeting. Have a look at the photo, there was a few areas like this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 02:37:14 PM by Toptek »

Toptek

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »
Before I took the panel off, I read of a solution to trim back the seal on the bottom edge of the door which covers the drain holes (just around the holes). I lay on the floor and made a few small cuts but that wasn't a successful outcome.
It seems like a a few people have experienced issues with the sheeting following a Google search and watching a few videos on YouTube.

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 04:20:45 PM »
Many thanks to all who have took their valuable time to offer suggestions. Since it was dry and sunny today I have been able to make a start having a look at what may be causing this.
It rained last night, but not as heavily as a couple of days ago, so there was no big puddle when I opened the door this morning.
I realise that I'm not going to sort this straight away so I am going to try and check things methodically.
I bought the car from Cazoo 18 months ago and had no problems with it last winter.
One thing I have noticed is that where the bottom of the windscreen mates with the plastic panel from which the windscreen wipers emanate, the rubber seal is not sound for about two thirds of the length.
The seal is in good condition, so I'm thinking that the very hot heat we had this summer may have caused the plastic panel to disengage from the glass.
Pushing the plastic down does not re-engage the seal.
Could this be a possible cause of the internal leak ?
I have temporarily covered the gap with black vinyl tape for the time being.

Thanks all. I will keep you all informed on my progress with this so that anyone with a mark3 may find this useful in the future.

Phil

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 06:29:05 PM »
Also check the pollen filter,it's behind the passenger glice box. A fav place to get blocked then water enters the car. Also https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/191579-solved-water-leakage-problem-honda-jazz-city.html basically blocked drain holes.

Toptek

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:03:56 PM »
I followed the info posted by olduser1 but for me the issue was with the plastic door seal.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:48:48 AM by Toptek »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 11:22:45 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that where the bottom of the windscreen mates with the plastic panel from which the windscreen wipers emanate, the rubber seal is not sound for about two thirds of the length.
The seal is in good condition, so I'm thinking that the very hot heat we had this summer may have caused the plastic panel to disengage from the glass.
Pushing the plastic down does not re-engage the seal.
Could this be a possible cause of the internal leak ?
In modern cars the windscreen is bonded into the frame. it forms part of the structural integrity of the car. There is no rubber seal on modern windscreens. The rubber you are talking about, assuming it is similar to my Mk1, just fills the gap to the plastic trim.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »
My driveway is sloped and for the 14 years I owned  it, from new , my Yaris was prone to excessive condensation. I never did find the source  , which doesnt help you much    :-[   . It never extended to wet carpets  as such.
I'm fairly sure it was related to the fact rain  water  sometimes pooled on ledges etc which would have drained themselves had the car been parked on the level.

Water can sometimes  trickle quite a long  distance from where it leaks in.   

You could try getting the car  dried out as thoroughly as possible. ( Easier in a hot summer   ;D)  and search various nooks and crannies to check they are currently dry. (and crooks and nannies  if you want)   Then put a hose on the car in strategic areas  and check again for dampness.    The reason for the before and after is it might help you trace the progress of new  dampness/wetness as its spreads from the leak.        I find dry fingers are a good judge  of dampness, perhaps aided with a bit of something like talcum  powder. 

I dont know if there is any damp meter that could aid in this.    I have experimented in the past using an ordinary digital multimeter set on 2000k ohms.   When you place the probes near each other  ,but not quite touching , there is sometimes a slight trickle of electricity and a reading if if its wet  (battery voltage)   But  never found it any advantage over dry  fingers  (I think damp meters with probes work on the  same principle, but presumably they are much more sensitive.) 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 11:17:41 AM »
Check for leaves blocking the drain holes under the windscreen . that may cause internal flooding.
When I replaced my Mark 2 plugs and removed the plastic panel at the foot of the screen, I was amazed at the collection of dirt underneath

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »
Check for leaves blocking the drain holes under the windscreen . that may cause internal flooding.
When I replaced my Mark 2 plugs and removed the plastic panel at the foot of the screen, I was amazed at the collection of dirt underneath
I had that trouble on a previous car (Renault Scenic). The vent intake plenum was under a grille in front of the windscreen, and was drained by a couple of tubes, one each side. The plenum got clogged with leaf litter, which blocked the tubes. Water sloshed from side to side, and eventually overflowed onto the passenger's feet. Clearing the drain tubes was a real PITA. Haven't had that problem in the Jazz, but I am now conscientious about clearing fallen leaves from in front of the windscreen.

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 02:19:44 PM »
I am thinking that the source of this footwell leak MAY have come from beneath the plastic trim where the hood and petrol cap release pull buttons are located.
This is in the area where this trim meets the carpet.
Still doing my detective work when the weather and available daylight allows.
It's been raining again, not heavily, but the mopped up area has not got any worse as when I left it yesterday.
I have checked the door drain holes and grill area beneath windscreen for blockage/debris-they appear Ok but I will check them further when weather conditions allow.
I've checked the pollen filter -it was dry and clean with no debris. I changed it for new this Spring.
I am also investigating a 15mm circular hole on the edge of the drivers door near the lock. On the passenger door this hole is covered by a black plastic cover, but not on the driver's door.
l will keep persevering.........

Many thanks

Phil

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 03:05:36 PM »
My driveway is sloped and for the 14 years I owned  it, from new , my Yaris was prone to excessive condensation. I never did find the source  .......,
FWIW I had a mk.1 Yaris which eventually (20yrs old) succumbed to the sill rot just forward of the rear wheel arch which is a common failure in the old Yaris. I'm 99% sure it is down to the roof seam sealing eventually failing (under the black trim strip) and leaking water into the roof rail just above the B/C post, the water runs down the post and into the sill. I found that on odd occasions the headlining would be slightly damp just above the B/C post, though it never did stain it. Someone bought my Yaris to renovate it, I told them of the faults and they were happy to take on the project.
Early Jazz models had a similar roof seam leak issue at the rear, leaking water into the boot space. Possibly it was an ageing process of the sealant used back then??

Tags:

anything