Author Topic: Safety Recall  (Read 443620 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Safety Recall
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2022, 04:41:24 PM »
My car had its first service yesterday. At just over a year my mileage was 10020.

The recall update is supposed to have been carried out;  I detect no difference.

I was hoping that when using ACC* the car would no longer get spooked by vehicles parked off the road on the left while driving through rght hand bends. No change there! I still had to dab the accelerator to get her to gee-up. Maybe a sugar lump suspended on a string in front of her nose would help.

* I like ACC
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
I don't know about you, but in my urban driving I would be indicating every few seconds as I weave in and out of the parked cars and the clear spaces in between. I'm sure following drivers would wonder why I kept flicking my indicator on and off all the time for no apparent reason.
You are concerned about what following drivers think of you?!  :P

Anyway, I believe you can minimise the amount of nudge you get from the car when crossing centre lines. Or you could just steer through it;  it's not that strong is it?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:46:34 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2022, 05:04:15 PM »
Not strong but very annoying.

I do occasionally forget to turn it off and the first wobble it's off. Fortunately I know the keypresses off heart and I can do it on the move.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2022, 05:29:48 PM »

I was hoping that when using ACC* the car would no longer get spooked by vehicles parked off the road on the left while driving through rght hand bends. No change there!

The online owners manual page 448 says ,among others, do not use ACC  "On roads with sharp turns".     Maybe  bends sharp enough to pick  up cars parked on the verge   amounts to 'sharp turns'.

I only use mine on motorways and dual carriageways,   and occasionally on a long straight single carriageway with few hazards.  I wouldnt use it on a road with bends, parked cars etc.  There is too much going on requiring driver control of speed.  Also even on a slight bend  a car (and motorcycle ) is more stable if you bear in mind the benefits of  the 'slow in-fast  out' technique.   I'm not saying speed up as such ,just keep the car better poised by subtle throttle control .   ACC will simply keep to its preset speed without reference to what gives optimum stability and control.   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:38:11 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2022, 05:38:06 PM »
.... Also even on a slight bend  a car (and motorcycle ) is more stable if you bear in mind the benefits of  the 'slow in-fast  out' technique.   I'm not saying speed up as such ,just keep the car better poised by subtle throttle control .   ACC will simply keep to its preset speed without reference to what gives optimum stability and control.   
While using ACC I tend to use the speed control on the wheel to adjust to road conditions. My foot is always ready to brake or accelerate. On a blind bend I'll dab the brake to take the car out of ACC and dab the accelerator to restore ACC when it's safe.
Neil Ives

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »
I booked a service on 13 September online, and before that date found out from the internet about the recall. When the dealer phoned just before that date to remind me about the service, I mentioned the recall, and they said it could be included - but only if I shifted the service date to 14 October. As the service was due under the warranty before that, I declined the opportunity and had the service done on 13 September anyway.
That normal service was completed by about 1pm and because of that, the dealer initially looked to get the recall work fitted in on my car that afternoon and done by the 5pm closing time, but as was explained to me when I arrived to collect the car, that had proved impossible because the reprogramming on another Jazz for the recall had crashed, and they had had to start that one again. That is why the work is said to need 2.5 hours but you are asked to leave it for longer.
On asking when I could now have the recall work done separately, the date had become much later as letters had been received by lots of people the day before. The earliest available was now mid-December. It is now booked for Wednesday 28 December.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2022, 05:58:27 PM »
While using ACC I tend to use the speed control on the wheel to adjust to road conditions. My foot is always ready to brake or accelerate. On a blind bend I'll dab the brake to take the car out of ACC and dab the accelerator to restore ACC when it's safe.
I  expect with due diligence  you can safely control speed  using ACC in this way.  But much as I am in favour of these driver aids  I would have thought you are having to learn a whole new set of speed control skills,with constant twiddling of knobs and adjustments  There comes a point when its easier to switch ACC off and do it  the 'old fashioned' way with throttle and brakes ?  You dont even have the added 'complication' of having to be in the right gear.  We may have a different opinion on when this becomes necessary. 

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2022, 06:50:28 PM »
However, it is easy to avoid such a "prompt": Just indicate before crossing the line....

I don't know about you, but in my urban driving I would be indicating every few seconds as I weave in and out of the parked cars and the clear spaces in between. I'm sure following drivers would wonder why I kept flicking my indicator on and off all the time for no apparent reason.

Leaving your lane and crossing the line is not an apparent reason?
If following drivers ask you, you can explain it to them now...
If nothing goes right, go left!

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2022, 08:02:36 PM »
Just had mine booked in for this URGENT SAFETY RECALL………….for the 20th DECEMBER!

I should be highly proficient in turning it off automatically by then!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Hub

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 62mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2020
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »
Just had my Safety Recall done, originally told 2 - 4hrs, which was just acceptable , ( was going to shop, eat and drink coffee with wife ! )  but when I arrived the time had increased to 7 hrs. After some discussion! with the  Service Manager they offered a loan car - 2021 Civic 1.0 Vtec Turbo, 3 cylinder DOHC which meant we could go home until they finished the S/W update.
Interestingly,  it made me realise  how smooth and comfortable my Crosstar  is, it's  a long time since I've driven a normal  Auto ICE as I've had Toyota  and Honda hybrids for  17years.
By the way, I have to admit I had to ask the  Service Receptionist how to start the Civic as I just placed the key in a cup holder and searched for a Start button!  After she showed me that the Key had to be placed in the steering lock/ignition switch I had still forgotten that the key had to be turned to actually  start the  ICE!,

Also, the Civic seats seemed very low compared to the Crosstar and no good for someone active but over 70.

The Jazz is a very good, economical car -, (Crosstar, ~10,250miles, ~63mpg Ave. over 2 years.!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2022, 12:17:02 AM »
Interestingly,  it made me realise  how smooth and comfortable my Crosstar  is, it's  a long time since I've driven a normal  Auto ICE as I've had Toyota  and Honda hybrids for  17years.
I had occasion to drive my old 58 plate Mk2 Jazz the other weekend. I've spent over a year driving the Mk4 and was used to the automatic transmission, so my use of the manual transmission caused a bit of bunny hops to start with. But the thing that really hit me was how refined my Mk4 was in comparison.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2022, 07:45:29 AM »

Dabbing the accelerator doesn't restore ACC... at least not for me.  Is it supposed to?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »
Just had my Safety Recall done, originally told 2 - 4hrs, which was just acceptable , ( was going to shop, eat and drink coffee with wife ! ) 
I was spoiled with my Yaris, the dealership was within  walking distance.    I will now need to travel to another town .My wife has already pointed out it has a nice Marks and Spencer's and we can do lunch.  Shes never before shown any interest  in coming along while I get the car serviced!  :P
Hint to Honda dealers, M+S do gift vouchers.     

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2022, 04:30:59 PM »

Dabbing the accelerator doesn't restore ACC... at least not for me.  Is it supposed to?
Sorry, my memory was playing up. A touch on the Res/+ button on the steering wheel does the job.

I hope I'm correct this time: While using ACC when the car brings itself to a standstill, in traffic for instance, a touch on the accelerator gets the car moving again without loosing ACC.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
As well as software I wonder if a recalibration is required ?

I have heard that this calibration can take quite some time :

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repair-and-replacement/windscreen-recalibration/

Reminded me of a post about an early 10G Civic :

SR Calibration Report

At last after 5 weeks off the road I have my SR back in working order. The calibration tool arrived at my dealers in a big box 3 metres long. It had to be assembled before it could be used.

When doing the calibration it needed over 25 yards of space in front of the car where nothing moved for the whole time of the calibration. (This is because of the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning system). The dealer's car park had to be sealed off for the 5 (yes Five) hours it took to calibrate the car. After calibration was finished all error lights went out and everything worked OK.

It was suggested by the dealer that the car when built had not been calibrated properly but would now be reliable
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: