Author Topic: 2020 JAZZ HYBRID ROAD TEST AND REVIEWS  (Read 9427 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: 2020 JAZZ HYBRID ROAD TEST AND REVIEWS
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
Other than for the curiosity of it, I’m not sure how interesting the Rev display will be. The RAV4 Hybrid has no tachometer and if it did it would be a complete distraction as it shows the engine stopping, starting again, then running at constant revs or revs not correlating with what the car is doing. Instead, it has a display showing when you are on electric, charging or in power mode, I.e. engine is generating but also adding motive power.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 07:49:58 AM »
Other than for the curiosity of it, I’m not sure how interesting the Rev display will be.
Yes, curiosity and understanding how the engine behaves (eg does it run in particular rev bands and how do they sound?) would be the objective. It doesn't need to be an everyday display.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2020, 08:03:11 PM »
Well I wonder if it will have a screen like this which tells me what I need to know about what the engine, battery and motors are doing.

The first shows all four wheels returning energy to the battery, so the arrows are green and into the battery.

The second shows the front wheels being driven by electric (yellow) and engine (red) power with arrows going to the wheels. Also, the engine is charging the battery.

The third is like the second but the rear wheels are also being driven by their own electric motor. This happens under heavier loads and when the traction control detects it is necessary.

Understanding the engine revs during all of this is almost meaningless I would argue.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 08:21:05 AM »
Well I wonder if it will have a screen like this which tells me what I need to know about what the engine, battery and motors are doing.
One of the options for the multi-function display within the main instrument cluster shows coloured animated graphics similar to those on page 15 of the Jazz user handbook and show the four different operating conditions: Electric Vehicle (EV); Hybrid Vehicle (HV); Engine (Direct Drive); and Regeneration. It's quite small and not so easy to read with a quick glance. The handbook doesn't show that this information can be displayed on the big screen so that passengers can get a grasp of what's happening under the bonnet.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 09:08:27 AM »
One of the options for the multi-function display within the main instrument cluster shows coloured animated graphics similar to those on page 15 of the Jazz user handbook and show the four different operating conditions: Electric Vehicle (EV); Hybrid Vehicle (HV); Engine (Direct Drive); and Regeneration. It's quite small and not so easy to read with a quick glance. The handbook doesn't show that this information can be displayed on the big screen so that passengers can get a grasp of what's happening under the bonnet.

Not being a hybrid owner, I don’t quite understand the function of this sort of display. Does the driver actually need to see this sort of thing, is there anything there that he can react to (eg by modifying driving style) in the same way that an mpg display is useful? Or is it just a bit of “Hey, look at the pretty lights!” bling? If the latter then it sounds like an unnecessary driver distraction. Why not just trust the car to do it’s job of delivering power to the wheels without being distracted by monitoring exactly how it’s doing it?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 09:26:07 AM »
This particular display is really only interesting to me when I want to know the state of the battery or when the rear while drive has kicked in. It’s really a gimmick from the early days of hybrid. The newer Toyota Hybrid system is cleverer I believe and the Yaris I had as a courtesy car had a B setting which stands for battery recharge, which you can engage on downhills instead of braking. I presume it is like engine braking and doesn’t light up the brake lights. On mine I flip the stick over to manual and engage a virtual low gear to recharge rather than using the brake pedal, but only on long downhill sections.

So the display is useful if you want to know the state of the battery and the engine mode to try and optimise things. But in reality, that is missing the point of the car and 99% of the time I just leave it to do it’s thing. It is very clever and the newer generation Toyota system is even cleverer.

I have to say I love the hybrid concept as a stop gap to full electric and I have pretty much convinced myself, pending a test drive, that I will swap to a Jazz or Crosstar in the next 9 months. One of the huge advantages Honda has for me is that along with Nissan they are the only dealerships in Halifax, my nearest town. I can run the 4 miles home from there. Toyota is over 10 busy miles away in the next valley, and that makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:29:42 AM by richardfrost »

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »

Not being a hybrid owner, I don’t quite understand the function of this sort of display. Does the driver actually need to see this sort of thing, is there anything there that he can react to (eg by modifying driving style) in the same way that an mpg display is useful? Or is it just a bit of “Hey, look at the pretty lights!” bling? If the latter then it sounds like an unnecessary driver distraction. Why not just trust the car to do it’s job of delivering power to the wheels without being distracted by monitoring exactly how it’s doing it?

I agree, most people just put it into drive and press the pedal. Fiddling with displays gets boring after a while.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »
This particular display is really only interesting to me when I want to know the state of the battery or when the rear while drive has kicked in. It’s really a gimmick from the early days of hybrid. The newer Toyota Hybrid system is cleverer I believe and the Yaris I had as a courtesy car had a B setting which stands for battery recharge, which you can engage on downhills instead of braking. I presume it is like engine braking and doesn’t light up the brake lights.

I have to say I love the hybrid concept as a stop gap to full electric and I have pretty much convinced myself, pending a test drive, that I will swap to a Jazz or Crosstar in the next 9 months.
The Mk 4 Jazz has a permanent battery status gauge in the instrument display (vertical bar near the left side with a similar vertical bar on the right side for the petrol). The Mk 4 Jazz also has the B mode on the gear shift (where S is on the CVT). I tried the B mode when I did my test drive and it is a very effective equivalent to engine braking. Perhap too effective as it can surprise the drivers of following vehicles.

I look on the power flow display as being part of understanding how the vehicle operates. Once I'm familiar with the sounds and the way the vehicle feels then that display becomes of less interest - that's what happened with my previous hybrid Jazz.

Hybrids make a lot of sense for many many drivers. Better fuel economy and performance than  non-hybrid without jugging around a big lump of extra weight and worrying about where to next charge it. I thought hard last year about getting an EV and discovered that the typical cost of using a public charger was 30p/kWh. Assuming 4 miles / kWh that's 7.5p per mile compared to about 1.5p/mile when charging at home using an EV charging tariff (eg the Octopus Go). So there woudn't be much fuel cost saving on longer trips compared to using a hybrid with the latter not having the range anxiety problem.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
Just picking up on Richard's point about location of dealerships it is absolutely an issue. Warrington is a large town but the only Vauxhall dealer closed a couple of years ago and a pal of mine has to take his car to St Helens - OK not that far but it takes up half a day as he waits for the car to be serviced. He's had Vauxhalls for years but will change next time on the basis of access to a main dealer.

This is much less of an issue if you buy an older car of course. Given the new Jazz's complex drive train, I'd want to be near a dealer.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »

Good test, the reviewer is an engeneer. You can use english subtitles, CRUST is Crosstar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:26:15 PM by jazzaro »

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
Good test, the reviewer is an engeneer.
That's an excellent test indeed I was hoping for.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
Very interesting and thorough review, though the English subtitles are a bit of a challenge!  I’m only sorry that my Mk 3 is nowhere near ready for changing yet.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
Very interesting and thorough review, though the English subtitles are a bit of a challenge!
Use your imagination... ;D
I noticed that this powertrain has finally the right shaft composed of two parts to avoid or reduce torque steer and vibrations during strong accelerations with steered wheels. Finally.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
I can only get subtitles in Italian so I had to give it a miss.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »
I can only get subtitles in Italian so I had to give it a miss.
Click on settings on the youtube page and then subtitles, you can change the language.

Tags: