Author Topic: Engine cut out  (Read 1790 times)

Njazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 SE Sport
Engine cut out
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
Hey all, need help and advice.

My 2002 se sport has been sat on my drive for a couple of months. I have ticked it over and had quick trips lasting from less then a minute to maybe 15 minutes. Not long I know!

Now I have passed my test the first start up and drive out was fine, later that day I was turning the car around slowly and not sure if I stalled but it cut out and didn’t start at all, just a failed start but lights etc were still working.

Took battery out and charged overnight and refitted this morning and started first time. Popped to the battery shop tested battery and was found to be low on power so replaced battery with a Yuasa and checked alternator which is working fine.

Drive home and last junction before home cuts out (maybe another stall on my behalf) but car again doesn’t start at all, bump started it and got it home on drive way which I then turned engine on and off about 3 times to which it started every time.

Took car down garage and mechanic said it sounds fine and to give it a blast on the dual carriageway as it’s been sat around for a while. Done that doing a good 60 for around 21 miles round trip.

Myself and my dad have stalled it on purpose a couple of times to see if it would’nt start again like before but it has started every time.

I’m very puzzled to why it has cut out and not started back up.

Any help would be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:06:32 PM by Njazz »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Engine cut out
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
You need a bottle of redex injector cleaner in a tank of petrol and an italian tuneup ( go for a long drive and rev the guts out of it ) - if still a problem suspect the EGR.   Cars that do not do many miles suffer a catalogue of problems that cars that get usual or plenty of miles do not get.  A blocked CAT, a stuck EGR and blocked injectors to name but a few, also battery suffers from being kept in a low state of charge.

You may also need new spark plugs,  the rear 4 ( of 8 in total)  pretty much never get changed because nobody knows they are there.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
Echo culzean advice +
If the tank is low run until warning light then invest in full tank of Shell V power or BP super unleaded, I've cured a feww town driven vehicles this way.
If you kept your old battery take to local scrap yard and get cash back

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
Thanks for the feed back.

When I put in the redex is it best to do that on a new tank of fuel?

Also this Italian tune up with high revs, how high should the revs be and for how long should I hold them there?

I’ll also buy some carburettor cleaner to clean the egr value. Would this be ideal to clean up the throttle body as well?

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
Not entirely sure if this is causing your engine to stall and then not start without a bump start.

But anyway I improved the engine performance on my Jazz by filling up with a tank of vpower and a full bottle of redex (redex first then fuel to mix it up). Then after warming the engine up I did quite a few runs up the first 4 gears to the redline. The way the engine produces torque low down it rarely sees high revs in my vehicle. After half a dozen of those runs I went for a long steady drive. Once that tank was empty I went back to supermarket 95. I did this in the Summer and it's still running smooth now. Every so often, maybe once a month when the engine is at temperature I'll run 3rd/4th gear out to redline. Otherwise the engine never sees high revs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Thanks for the feed back.

When I put in the redex is it best to do that on a new tank of fuel?

Also this Italian tune up with high revs, how high should the revs be and for how long should I hold them there?

I’ll also buy some carburettor cleaner to clean the egr value. Would this be ideal to clean up the throttle body as well?

Personally I don't redline engine but just make sure you go above about 4000.  Wait till tank is less than half full and tip 500 ml of redex injector cleaner in and then fill up with fuel, it is pretty much impossible to overdose on redex, but for an initial treatment use about 4x the normal dose as a ' shock and awe ' treatment.  Clean throttle body by all means, but see if symptoms are cured before messing with EGR, you may not need to touch it unless redex and Italian tuneup fail.  If you do not know when spark plugs were changed I would make those your next project, as I said earlier the rear 4 plugs rarely get changed and can cause lack of power, misfiring and if the gap has got too big they can damage the coils....which can also cause symptoms.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
8 spark plugs were replaced in July 2015 at 98,000 miles (currently at 113,000 miles) that’s the last history I have.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:57:08 PM by Njazz »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
8 spark plugs were replaced in July 2015 at 98,000 miles (currently at 113,000 miles) that’s the last history I have.

So plugs look ok (it is not unknown to be told that all 8 were changed but in reality only front 4 ) - you may still have a coil problem, but that is harder to prove than a bad spark plug - replacement coils are not expensive, can be found on fleabay.  I would do the cheapest / easiest stuff first -  redex and italian tuneup and if you still have a problem look a bit deeper.

try this thread    https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10359.msg64786#msg64786
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:17:13 PM by culzean »

Tags: