Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693882 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #840 on: March 11, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
That's the one I posted the pictures of, back in January, when "Fully Charged" did their piece on it. Doesn't float my boat looks wise.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #841 on: March 15, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
Love the new Jaguar i-Pace, looks fantastic and the tech sounds really promising:

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #842 on: March 15, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
Love the new Jaguar i-Pace, looks fantastic and the tech sounds really promising:
If I had the money, that's the one I'd have. Kicks the Tesla Model X into touch.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #843 on: March 16, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
Porsche have released a press statement saying they are investing €6bn  in "electrification" by 2022.

Porsche is also doubling its expenditure on trends for the future, with a commitment to
invest over six billion euro in electromobility by 2022. The money will be spent on
derivatives of the Mission E, hybridisation and electrification of the current model
range, as well as on developing a charging infrastructure and smart mobility.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #844 on: March 18, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
The latest edition of "Fully Charged" was, among other things, talking about the installation off 350 kW charging stations. Initially 400 charging stations are being installed across Europe (there is one at South Minns Service Station) and these can charge a vehicle from 0 - 80% in 15 minutes. It uses a CCS connector. This is the system that Porsche are talking about in the previous post.
They had spoken to spokesman for the National Grid who says their system can cope perfectly adequately with these systems. The charging station has a 1 MW underground battery pack, which is constantly trickle charged, and when a vehicle charges from it it dumps what is required in the 15 - 20 minutes.
Found this bit on the type of charger we are talking about.
https://nextgencharging.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwnLjVBRAdEiwAKSGPIxPWmRFgoHRnF-FpZJfKlPo4-aGHpa58uk6Cwk_zD6A-RaTzIKlTCRoC2TAQAvD_BwE

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #845 on: March 18, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-16/how-long-will-world-leaders-last

'More hype than sales'  seems to cover it,  people buy PHEV for tax reasons,  but no big interest in BEV.

'Tesla is a cult' also rings true.

The only thing that will get people interested in pure EV is legislation,  not fuel economy or saving the planet.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #846 on: March 18, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
The only thing that will get people interested in pure EV is legislation
No. Cost will get people flocking to BEV. Once it becomes cheaper to buy and run pure EVs the consumers will flock to change over. The same thing happened with mobile phones. My first mobile phone was expensive to buy, expensive to run, and the infrastructure was poor. At the time the consensus was, "they will never take off". Now you cannot go anywhere in the world without the common people using their mobile phones. Landlines are old hat and becoming more so. Just as ICE will.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #847 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
No. Cost will get people flocking to BEV. Once it becomes cheaper to buy and run pure EVs the consumers will flock to change over. The same thing happened with mobile phones. My first mobile phone was expensive to buy, expensive to run, and the infrastructure was poor. At the time the consensus was, "they will never take off". Now you cannot go anywhere in the world without the common people using their mobile phones. Landlines are old hat and becoming more so. Just as ICE will.

comparing a car to a phone is like comparing, well an apple to an orange...

No-one passed legislation that you could not have a landline after a certain date and if you did not buy a cell phone it meant that you could no longer have a phone....

Congestion charge will persuade some city dwellers / commuters to buy BEV.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:12:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #848 on: March 18, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »
This one is for Culzean - "Is Tesla a cult?" by Aussie motoring journalist John Cadogan.

Cadogan believes 100% in man made climate change but EVs not the answer. Indeed he thinks they are worse for the environment. Not saying I agree with him but it's a thought provoking watch.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #849 on: March 18, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »
No-one passed legislation that you could not have a landline after a certain date and if you did not buy a cell phone it meant that you could no longer have a phone....
So what you are saying is the UK won't change over to EVs until 2040. I doubt I'll be here to see it, but I bet that ICE vehicles will be in the minority before 2030.

Regarding your argument regarding cell phones, by your reckoning they should have taken even longer to take over as there was no legislation driving the change!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #850 on: March 18, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
So what you are saying is the UK won't change over to EVs until 2040. I doubt I'll be here to see it, but I bet that ICE vehicles will be in the minority before 2030.

Regarding your argument regarding cell phones, by your reckoning they should have taken even longer to take over as there was no legislation driving the change!

Of course cell phones would get popular and everyone would want one, simply because of their convenience - I had a company Motorola clamshell style phone in Australia in early 90's - one of the first that was not the size of a housebrick, and have not been without one since, but for myself and majority of people I talk to there is no big rush to get a battery EV.   A mobile phone was unique, a BEV is not because there are many other ways of getting around. Many business users get PHEV in preference to BEV and by their own admissions never charge the battery, they just get them for tax and congestion charge purposes which saves them more than lower fuel costs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #851 on: March 18, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
Yes, but when they are cheaper to buy, and run than a conventional car, which will happen, we will all want one. Even you. And that will happen long before ICE is phased out here in the UK, in 2040.
Even India has set a date of 2030 to phase out ICE.
I think that by 2030 you would be hard pressed to by a new conventional car, even if you wanted one.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #852 on: March 18, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
I thought 2040 was the deadline for ICE-only? The market share of battery-only will steadily increase as costs come down and range increases but many people will still want the unlimited range provided by a hybrid arrangement. I was disappointed by my Jazz hybrid as it provided only around 10% improvement in fuel economy compared to the normal Mk 2 Jazz but 20% improvement should be easy to achieve by combining an Atkinson cycle engine with a more battery and motor generator capacity (some manufacturers have got here already). Providing the capability for mains top-up of the battery will help reduce emissions a bit further although, as noted above, many vehicle users might not be inclined/able to use the facility. However, I don't want a very big battery as I want somewhere to put the spare wheel (something that the Mk 2 Jazz hybrid lacked).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #853 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:39 PM »

I think there will be a tipping point - we are not there yet - but it will come. My concern is that the demand for lithium ion batteries, and their solid state successors, might delay prices coming down.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #854 on: March 19, 2018, 06:54:08 AM »
I thought 2040 was the deadline for ICE-only?
Correct. Range is an issue for pure EV at the moment, but by 2040 changes in battery technology and charging will pretty much put an EV on par with fossil fuel powered vehicles. As demand for fossil fuels drops, and it will, costs of fossil fuels will rise. I know electricity prices will rise too, but once the crossover point is reached, where the cost of buying and running a pure EV is less than that of ICE and Hybrid vehicles, there will be no stopping the change. And as you said yourself, you are disappointed with the fuel economy with your hybrid. I think hybrids will gradually be replaced with range extender EVs, and by 2040 those and pure EV will have cornered the market. The big motor manufacturers are not investing billions in EV technology for the good of the planet. They can see the writing on the wall for fossil fuels, as can Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Tags:

anything