Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693927 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #810 on: March 02, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »
Agree with culzean on this one, induction charging really is a none starter.

I think you are more likely to see a robotised automatic connection, a bit like an automatic cow milking machine.  ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #811 on: March 02, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Maybe, but all the major manufacturers are looking at it. Even the Rolls Royce prototype EV uses Inductive charging. They are also researching inductive charging of moving vehicles!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #812 on: March 02, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »
Maybe, but all the major manufacturers are looking at it. Even the Rolls Royce prototype EV uses Inductive charging. They are also researching inductive charging of moving vehicles!

A lot of these schemes mean big investments and changes to roads, which IMHO will also have to happen before autonomous cars become feasible - these are added costs no one wants to talk about.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #813 on: March 02, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
I think you are more likely to see a robotised automatic connection, a bit like an automatic cow milking machine.  ;)

Now there's an idea. We could run a car on milk.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #814 on: March 03, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
Read a readers letter in the paper this morning. Imagine being stuck for 24 hours in a snow drift in an EV on low battery. At least with an ICE you can switch it on and off and generate a bit of heat.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #815 on: March 05, 2018, 06:35:45 AM »
Read a readers letter in the paper this morning. Imagine being stuck for 24 hours in a snow drift in an EV on low battery. At least with an ICE you can switch it on and off and generate a bit of heat.

AND when you are eventually freed, your battery is so low on charge and so cold, your effective range is 500 meters..   Easily solved by mobile charging at £100 per charge (or more)...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #816 on: March 05, 2018, 06:45:40 AM »
At least with an ICE you can switch it on and off and generate a bit of heat.
Unless of course you are one of those clowns who go out, when snow is forecast, with a few cupfuls in the bottom of your tank!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #817 on: March 05, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
Unless of course you are one of those clowns who go out, when snow is forecast, with a few cupfuls in the bottom of your tank!

Indeed, more than a few of those about!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #818 on: March 05, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »

Indeed, more than a few of those about!

The first thing I did when the bad weather was forecast was to go out and top the tanks up on our cars,  they never really get below half empty anyway but extra weight can help traction especially on Jazz and Civic where tank is nearer the front wheels than the back.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #819 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:18 PM »
I start to get jittery when the miles to go indicator gets down to below 100. Thinking about that, I guess I really need an EV with 250 miles range. I'd be charging up once it got down to 100!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #820 on: March 06, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Interesting article about supercapacitors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43285885 and their potential role for supplementing the main battery in stop-start driving conditions.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #821 on: March 06, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
Quite a few hypermilers already use super capacitors. Saves on alternator use. Charge them back up like you would a hybrid.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #822 on: March 06, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #823 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
Now this is the interesting bit:

"As for the range, the TS2 can travel 100 km (62 miles) on a single charge. Charging can be done in about 2 hours through level 2 charging with an onboard charger and the company says that it will also offer a DC fast-charging option for 80% charge in 20 minutes.
While the range might not seem like much, it’s actually quite impressive when you consider that Taiga claims the vehicle will maintain this range even at -30 Celsius."

My bold italics.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #824 on: March 06, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
Now this is the interesting bit:

"As for the range, the TS2 can travel 100 km (62 miles) on a single charge. Charging can be done in about 2 hours through level 2 charging with an onboard charger and the company says that it will also offer a DC fast-charging option for 80% charge in 20 minutes.
While the range might not seem like much, it’s actually quite impressive when you consider that Taiga claims the vehicle will maintain this range even at -30 Celsius."

My bold italics.

Amazing . Does that claim include using the heater? If not, it's just bull excrement as no-one in their right minds would travel at -30C and not use the heater.

Tags:

anything