Author Topic: Auto gearbox  (Read 1431 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Auto gearbox
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:59:10 AM »
Hi. I noticed yesterday that the cvt traction did a strange thing, there seemed to be minimum acceleration so did kick-down and car lurched forward so took foot off accelerator and it stopped, kicked down again and did the same. Normally gearbox is very smooth. This was about 10 minutes from cold. The car is about to have 2nd service where they change the cvt oil, wondering whether this might be the problem.  Would value any thoughts please..

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Auto gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
In our wider family two Mk1 CVT boxes were starting to judder, and on both changing the CVT oil eliminated this.

Your symptoms don't sound the same but CVT boxes are sensitive to old oil.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
there seemed to be minimum acceleration
Was the engine accelerating? If the engine was going great guns, then the transmission was sluggish, but if the engine didn't rev up then that is where the problem lies.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
If you press your foot right to the floor, past a resistance point, then the change down is not smooth, but the car certainly goes!

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
In our wider family two Mk1 CVT boxes were starting to judder, and on both changing the CVT oil eliminated this.

Your symptoms don't sound the same but CVT boxes are sensitive to old oil.
Thanks for the reply, we had mk1 and had the judder, changed oil and had gearbox clutch changed under warranty with Honda as it was a known fault. This issue is not so much a judder rather a burst of speed causing car to lurch  forward then slowing down, happened twice.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
there seemed to be minimum acceleration
Was the engine accelerating? If the engine was going great guns, then the transmission was sluggish, but if the engine didn't rev up then that is where the problem lies.
Jocko, the car did not seem to have any acceleration then when did kick-down picked up revs and lurched forward, as I said it is normally very smooth, thought it might have been the gearbox oil not warm enough although it was about 10 minutes from cold so would have thought that would not be an issue..thanks for your reply, will wait and see if it does it again after service and cvt oil change.  Think they do a code check on the service so may show something then. Wondering about Ecu problem maybe?? This happened twice, one after the other....

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »
If you press your foot right to the floor, past a resistance point, then the change down is not smooth, but the car certainly goes!
Guess that might be a possibility, it has on the odd occasion been a bit lumpy when taking foot off accelerator and putting it on again....although I do know that cvt oil does need to be changed at 2 years, which is not for another week or so. 

Tags: