Author Topic: change from Foam Tyre repair to spare wheel  (Read 4643 times)

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
Re: change from Foam Tyre repair to spare wheel
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
Could you fit a space saver wheel in the tray with the tools inside the boot? Not sure how big it is.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 07:13:39 PM »
Way too small for that. I'd say it's about 35 cm x 25 cm x10 cm. And really awkward place to reach when the car is on its wheels.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
Maybe a "Sump guard" for the traction battery.
But there is no traction battery, the car is regular petrol GK3, no hybrid. It's hard to believe Honda would include a tray for nothing.

i cant believe they changed the mk3 boot floor on the last year of manufacture, no point really

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Bit of a wild theory, but when the change to the spare wheel well was first spotted, someone on this forum suggested that Honda had already changed the tooling ready for the Mk4, ie the MY20 Mk3s were actually built on a Mk4 floorpan. If so, that bracket could actually be for the HV battery ... which won't actually be installed on these cars. In some circles that's called "fitted for but not with". So why fit the bracket? It looks fairly chunky, maybe it's needed to add some stiffness to that bit of structure. Maybe someone with a Mk4 could have look underneath and tell us if they have that bracket, and if it's got the battery in it?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 08:30:50 PM »
Last week I had a look on a MY2020 GK3 Jazz on dealer's showroom, and as mentioned here previously, it has much shallower shape boot floor, which would not fit for storing any spare wheel. Outside under the boot there is a bolted very sturdy tray, which purpose I don't get. Does somebody know what is it?
I recall someone saying that the reduction in space under the boot floor was to accommodate some extra equipment for emissions control.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 12:13:13 AM »
Mk3 1.3 S CVT came with the Foam repair kit...Aaagh! Honda spare wheel and Foam insert was huge price. Bought a new (unused) 15" Jazz space saver from Ebay. Big problem...the 'cardboard' boot floor sags with the handbook on it. Made template of boot floor cut to shape on 12mm Ply shaped sides so board would lift without catching wheel arches. Cut a strip of the same ply to fit the gap between the main sheet and the back of the seat. Covered the board (both sides in 4 way stretch van/camper conversion lining carpet (1m x 2m from The Metal House on Amazon £11.99) - used the proper high temp spray adhesive supplied. FANTASTIC! Carpet surface is better than the Honda boot carpet. As the ply is supported front, back and sides on the solid metal of the boot (over the flimsy board) it looks smart and supports a lot of weight. Win win situation - have a spare wheel, the original foam repair can, loads of storage space under boot floor and better carpet finish.

I have done exactly the same with my new 2017 Mk3 CVT Jazz (a friend gave me some camper van carpet that he had left over) and it works a treat. The existing boot floor is literally like a piece of cardboard and relies on the polystyrene block for support. I don't know about yours but my Jazz doesn't even have a jack despite the fact that there is a jack-shaped moulding in the polystyrene block! Luckily I had a spare at home which I have put in the boot now. There is plenty of room for the space saver spare wheel and some tools.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 06:09:49 AM »
Last week I had a look on a MY2020 GK3 Jazz on dealer's showroom, and as mentioned here previously, it has much shallower shape boot floor, which would not fit for storing any spare wheel. Outside under the boot there is a bolted very sturdy tray, which purpose I don't get. Does somebody know what is it?
I recall someone saying that the reduction in space under the boot floor was to accommodate some extra equipment for emissions control.
I don't say it is not possible, but I couldn't see any pipes or cables going to the tray. It looks just like a sturdy steel tray without anything inside. The naming of the part could give some information, but I couldn't find any spare part pictures for model year 2020 from the Internet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:12:31 AM by TnTkr »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 06:11:29 AM »
double  >:(

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »
I have an October 2019 Jazz and there is plenty of room for a space saver spare. The only issue is that it stands about 10mm proud of the floor but I can live with that.

Thanks Derkie, those space savers are usually very slim and as you say hardly creates a massive intrusion into the boot space as a price for the assurance of having a form of spare to fit and get mobile quickly in the event of a puncture. I have not suffered a puncture for ten years but you know the time you rely on a foam cannister something will happen...
,i have just bought a 2018 jazz and just like the 2009 we already had i was lothed to run without a spare so i got a steel for the 2009m,but pushed the boat out with the 2018 se and got an alloy 2nd hand on ebay for £56 with a good michy tyre it fits in the well ok ive just placed a piece of insulation under and over and the flimsy cover is ok i just need to buy a jack now as there wasnt 1 in the new car but the 2009 had 1

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »
I have an October 2019 Jazz and there is plenty of room for a space saver spare. The only issue is that it stands about 10mm proud of the floor but I can live with that.

Thanks Derkie, those space savers are usually very slim and as you say hardly creates a massive intrusion into the boot space as a price for the assurance of having a form of spare to fit and get mobile quickly in the event of a puncture. I have not suffered a puncture for ten years but you know the time you rely on a foam cannister something will happen...
,i have just bought a 2018 jazz and just like the 2009 we already had i was lothed to run without a spare so i got a steel for the 2009m,but pushed the boat out with the 2018 se and got an alloy 2nd hand on ebay for £56 with a good michy tyre it fits in the well ok ive just placed a piece of insulation under and over and the flimsy cover is ok i just need to buy a jack now as there wasnt 1 in the new car but the 2009 had 1

I bought a Jack from Halfords and it's got the slot in it to go over the jacking point tab on the car.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
thanks for the info i will have a ride there

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »
I don't say it is not possible, but I couldn't see any pipes or cables going to the tray. It looks just like a sturdy steel tray without anything inside. The naming of the part could give some information, but I couldn't find any spare part pictures for model year 2020 from the Internet.
I visited the dealer today for parts for my truck and asked the staff about the mysterious thingy. They didn't know either but got the information from spare parts pictures. I was wrong, there are pipes going there and the tray is protecting fuel tank evaporation charcoal filter system. I guess our Jazzes have had that system already before 2020, so the question is why is it re-positioned for the last model year. Is there some change in regulations requiring bigger filters?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:46:11 PM by TnTkr »

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »
I visited the dealer today for parts for my truck and asked the staff about the mysterious thingy. They didn't know either but got the information from spare parts pictures. I was wrong, there are pipes going there and the tray is protecting fuel tank evaporation charcoal filter system. I guess our Jazzes have had that system already before 2020, so the question is why is it re-positioned for the last model year. Is there some change in regulations requiring bigger filters?

Thanks for the update, the mystery is nearly solved! I suppose it's possible that problems have happened with the charcoal filter system being vulnerable to damage / debris and Honda made a quick fix - it looks a bit DIY!

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 08:30:04 AM »
I doubt they would bother making any fixes after five years of production, but who knows.

heycorinne01

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: mk 3 2018
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2021, 04:29:59 PM »
Mk3 1.3 S CVT came with the Foam repair kit...Aaagh! Honda spare wheel and Foam insert was huge price. Bought a new (unused) 15" Jazz space saver from Ebay. Big problem...the 'cardboard' boot floor sags with the handbook on it. Made template of boot floor cut to shape on 12mm Ply shaped sides so board would lift without catching wheel arches. Cut a strip of the same ply to fit the gap between the main sheet and the back of the seat. Covered the board (both sides in 4 way stretch van/camper conversion lining carpet (1m x 2m from The Metal House on Amazon £11.99) - used the proper high temp spray adhesive supplied. FANTASTIC! Carpet surface is better than the Honda boot carpet. As the ply is supported front, back and sides on the solid metal of the boot (over the flimsy board) it looks smart and supports a lot of weight. Win win situation - have a spare wheel, the original foam repair can, loads of storage space under boot floor and better carpet finish.

Hi ... I took the old spacesaver from my 2008 Jazz and put it in my 2018 Jazz.  Ive done a ply board and taken the original polysterene insert out.  Ive heard people say that the old spacesaver wont fit my new car though ....... any thoughts on this ?

Tags: