Author Topic: Oil consumption.  (Read 1853 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Oil consumption.
« on: August 15, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »
I have always had some engine oil consumption. No leaks (beige carpet on garage floor, under engine), no sign of smoking, no problems with emission tests. It is well within the 1 litre per 625 miles than Honda says is acceptable.
I have used 5w-30 since purchasing the car, but the last couple of times I topping up with 10w-40. Now, I find that I am not using any oil at all.
Any thoughts?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Oil consumption.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
I remember some of the old heaps I drove back in the day and, if memory serves, 20/50 oil usually slowed oil consumption down a bit. In fact I think it was recommended for older engines.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »
In all the years we've had our GD we have never had to top up with oil at all, but our previous cars, VW Polo and Golf drank oil like its going out of fashion.

My BMW also consumed a lot of oil initially but once it went past about 15kmiles it stopped consuming oil completely.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
I have always had some engine oil consumption. No leaks (beige carpet on garage floor, under engine), no sign of smoking, no problems with emission tests. It is well within the 1 litre per 625 miles than Honda says is acceptable.
I have used 5w-30 since purchasing the car, but the last couple of times I topping up with 10w-40. Now, I find that I am not using any oil at all.
Any thoughts?

There used to be ( and maybe still is ) a 'high mileage' oil sold for cars that had done over 80K IIRC, it was a thicker oil than normal for the vehicle and was specified to reduce oil consumption, maintain seal flexibility and deal with the bigger gap in main and big end bearings to maintain oil pressure, also help with piston ring / bore wear. 

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-maintenance/learn-about-motor-oil-facts/high-mileage-motor-oil
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 11:14:13 AM »
Sticky control ring that's freed itself off?

The old Jazz uses a bit of oil between services, probably a pint and a bit, but it has done over 170k now. Still sounds great though, apart from the squeaky pulley on start up. I have one here to replace it when I get round to it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
Sticky control ring that's freed itself off?
Other than having to add a half litre every so often, there has never been any indication that it has been using oil, during the 30,000 miles I have been monitoring it. I'll be changing back to fresh 5w-30 shortly, so we will see what happens then.

Sudden thought! I am now using 97 octane fuel instead of 95....

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 12:32:19 PM »
My 2005 SE  has never required a drop of oil between oil changes. But, then again I change it yearly even if I don't need to and it only does 6000 miles a year. Currently on 75600 .

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »
I change mine yearly too. Usually at around 12,000 miles.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »
Mine uses a little Oil. Maybe 300ml in 10k (? Rough estimate). For me I have to top up once between oil services. Not an issue. I'm also 95% sure I'm not leaking any, I've checked carefully a few times.

Tags: