Author Topic: Thinking of Fitting Rear View Web Cam to my Mk3 Jazz  (Read 1448 times)

guest7494

Thinking of Fitting Rear View Web Cam to my Mk3 Jazz
« on: June 14, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

Thinking of Fitting Rear View Web Cam to my Mk3 Jazz
is there an easy way to locate an ignition controlled power supply ??? because this is Honda I suspect not ?????
I am wondering if the Boot light can be enabled to do this somehow, I do not require the boot light anyway, could I fit in place of boot light a cigarette lighter socket this would then provide the fused element.But how to Ignition control it.!!!!!
Would the existing loom wiring to Boot light be of correct strength to facilitate this alteration, that is if I can make it ignition controlled.
I and aware that the wipers are ignition controlled but I suspect that it will not be an easy job with that option.
Thanks for reading this waffle, but help is required.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Thinking of Fitting Rear View Web Cam to my Mk3 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
I have the camera bolted to the rear parcel shelf and power it from the cigarette lighter socket in the centre armrest, it works fine.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »
Thanks Kenneve
Why did I not think of That ??
 However I have my front Dash cam plugged into that already will it take the two do you think.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
Thanks Kenneve
 However I have my front Dash cam plugged into that already will it take the two do you think.

Cigarette lighter socket can supply 10 amps, normal USB sockets limited to 0.5 amps.  You can get splitter plugs for cigarette sockets to get 2 or more outputs, as long as total draw is not more than 10 amps, I reckon a satnav will draw less than 1 amp, same for camera.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »
I have the camera bolted to the rear parcel shelf and power it from the cigarette lighter socket in the centre armrest, it works fine.

HI Kenneve.
Just occurred to me that if I attach the Dash Cam to Parcel Shelf using the usual way,I intended to use suction cap to Shelf having placed self adhesive plate thing.but it has occurred to me the camera will be upside down.!!!!
Please can you say how you bolted it to shelf so that cam is right way up.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »
Thanks Kenneve

Cigarette lighter socket can supply 10 amps, normal USB sockets limited to 0.5 amps.  You can get splitter plugs for cigarette sockets to get 2 or more outputs, as long as total draw is not more than 10 amps, I reckon a satnav will draw less than 1 amp, same for camera.

Thanks Culzean for info that at least solves the current question much obliged.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »
Both my cameras are Nextbase 402G (front & rear) and the image can be inverted if necessary in the camera settings.

The front camera takes its power from the front cigarette lighter socket, via a duplex adaptor to power the satnav as well
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:08:43 PM by Kenneve »

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »
If the camera is only for reversing/parking, you would take power from the reverse light bulb socket so that it turns on only when reverse is engaged. But if you want to have the camera to power on with ignition, then the best way is to hard wire it to the fuse box. It's actually a lot easier than people think. You can get jumper fuses which are literally plug and play. You just need to find a good location for grounding (anywhere on the chassis) and hiding the wires.

Tags:

anything