Author Topic: Failed so far.  (Read 2413 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Failed so far.
« on: January 06, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »
My 2010 i-shift is getting on a bit now, and i keep getting 'i wan't something else' urges now and again, seen quite a few i like so go over to Available car in Leeds now and again to sit in a few. Good place to get a feel for a car as they are all open and they don't pester you.

Quite like the Seat Leon and Ateca, BMW x1 is nice, Golf's are nice also.

However, when i get back into my Jazz, i can't help thinking that its better than all those, and what great visibility, my only gripe is can't get seat back enough and lack of low torque. So i do nowt !!!

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Re: Failed so far.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:28:22 PM »
I feel the same with my 2009 i-shift! But when I brought it in 2012, it was under £7k. Now you try to find a similar car for same age, it is at least £10k! Most importantly, it's not had any problems since my actuator broke two yrs ago. I keep it nice and clean so car doesn't feel old. I replaced the steering wheel with a nice sporty one. I also use Shell V Power and it's seems to go quicker.

If I need an auto, I don't know what to get. The 2015-2019 doesn't do anything for me, nor does the Yaris. May be I get the same Jazz but with CVT n EX trim. I actually quite like the Giulietta but is dated now. The new Focus and Mazda 3 seems nice but way out of my budget. You mentioned the VW Group, but it problem is the DSG Gearbox-i heard is problematic. BMW X1 is nice but expensive. May be 2Series Active Tourer is better value?

However I am looking forward to the new Jazz coming out in the summer!

copelandbc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 09:56:26 PM »
When considering a replacement, do you take into account global warning?

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:41:15 PM »
Yes I do, hence I am reluctant to change in case Government makes me pay more tax if I made the wrong decision.

Tbh, I would definitely go for a even lower CC car if I can. I also have a Seat Ibiza 09, 1.4. If it packed up tomorrow, I am going for a 1.0 208 or Sandrio, 0.9 purely for low road tax payment.

But as you mentioned, I will cross that bridge when my Jazz can't be fixed.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »
Yes I do, hence I am reluctant to change in case Government makes me pay more tax if I made the wrong decision.

Tbh, I would definitely go for a even lower CC car if I can. I also have a Seat Ibiza 09, 1.4. If it packed up tomorrow, I am going for a 1.0 208 or Sandrio, 0.9 purely for low road tax payment.

That was one of the reasons I ended up with a diesel as the 'distance' car. Unfortunately, you can't beat £30 tax and 60mpg from a large estate.

However, it will be another saving knobbled when we start buying 2017-on used cars, the ongoing road tax is all the same now - whether it's an ultra low emission tin can, or a 6.6L V12 Rolls-Royce.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
My Jazz just snuck in before the tax changes and I pay £30 per annum. It's a consideration - £10 a month nearly. I'd have to go EV to better this in the future.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 07:51:05 PM »
              'When considering a replacement, do you take into account global warning?'

No

China's power industry calls for hundreds of new coal power plants by 2030. The largest power producers in China have asked the government to allow for the development of between 300 and 500 new coal power plants by 2030 in a move that could single-handedly jeopardise global climate change targets.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »
              'When considering a replacement, do you take into account global warning?'

No

China's power industry calls for hundreds of new coal power plants by 2030. The largest power producers in China have asked the government to allow for the development of between 300 and 500 new coal power plants by 2030 in a move that could single-handedly jeopardise global climate change targets.

New coal fired power stations still being built in Germany and other European countries... presumably to provide power for electric vehicles....

https://www.airclim.org/acidnews/germany-still-constructing-new-coal-power-stations
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:48:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
My Jazz just snuck in before the tax changes and I pay £30 per annum. It's a consideration - £10 a month nearly. I'd have to go EV to better this in the future.

Unfortunately, a Jazz just wouldn't be big or comfortable enough for longer journeys, etc., but for everything else, it's fine... a few more mpg wouldn't go amiss though.

I will probably stick to pre-2017 vehicles as long as is practical, then as you say, it will be down the EV route. An EV replacement for the Jazz would be the first step, it should work well for local mileage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
We have been from one end of UK to the other in 1.4 MK1 GD Jazzes and no problem at all.  Once did midlands to Scotland and around and covered about 2000 miles in two weeks and never uncomfortable.  Same with midlands to Cornwall for holidays,  covered many miles without a problem.  Done the same with wifes MK2 and only gripe is that the wind and lorry 'bow waves' on motorway affect the Jazz more than the Civic - but Jazz is markedly better on fuel.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
We have been from one end of UK to the other in 1.4 MK1 GD Jazzes and no problem at all.  Once did midlands to Scotland and around and covered about 2000 miles in two weeks and never uncomfortable.

The Jazz isn't uncomfortable, it's just not 'big car' comfort and nowhere near as refined on the motorway. It's not as economical as the diesel either.

The main problem for us is the size of the boot.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »
For us, the Jazz is fine. We do some, but not many, long journeys. I've found the CVT to be excellent at an indicated 70 (shows as 66 on the sat nav) because the engine is only doing about 2,500 rpm at that speed.

Having said that, if I did a lot of motorway stuff and a lot of long journeys I'd probably prefer something Civic sized.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »
The main problem for us is the size of the boot.

yup,  ever since MK1 which had a good sized boot the boot has been getting smaller on newer models where they filch the room for the rear passengers - but there was enough room in back of MK1 anyway,  why have extra space that is wasted 90% of the time for occasional rear passengers rather than useable boot space...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »
I agree, the rear passenger accomodation in all the Jazzes is exceptional for the size of car.

However, even on the mk1,  the boot's nowhere near big enough for us. Going from a big MPV to an estate was a bit of a squeeze at times.

Tags:

anything