Author Topic: Car of the Year... Daily Telegraph  (Read 4933 times)

guest1521

Car of the Year... Daily Telegraph
« on: May 17, 2014, 07:22:16 AM »
Fiesta! Mini second to Fiesta in category. Fiesta winner across ALL categories, too!

If only Honda would properly sort Jazz's chassis for handling AND ride comfort. 'Cos it'd then thrash Fiesta on (properly) accommodating 4 adults and on build quality - not to mention the premium feel of switchgear and controls, too.

Well, here's hoping for the 2015 Jazz, anyway!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/ford/10835748/Why-the-Ford-Fiesta-is-the-2014-Telegraph-Car-of-the-Year.html

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Car of the Year... Daily Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
Fiesta looks too much like Fiat Punto Grande - and knowing how promiscuous Ford are it is probably made in a Fiat factory somewhere.

No-one mentions the famous Ford depreciation, but the trend is for younger people to lease cars now, leasing only makes sense if the car has high depreciation - so maybe Fiesta is the ideal car for them.  Still not made in UK -  although buyers still think Ford makes cars here  :(

Jazz buyers probably intend to keep their car for a while so it is more of an 'investment' for them, and has low depreciation.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:10:40 AM »
True. The KA is a fiat 500 in drag. So it is possible that the Fiesta is part FIAT too. I think the Punto looks better than the latest Fiesta, which looks like a goldfish with that gaping radiator grill.

guest4218

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »
The problem with the Fiesta is the dashboard is too clutter with switches and not enough rear legroom i saw the new Yeti tried sitting behind the driver seat which was set with my driving positon and not enough leg room :o

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:31:46 PM »
You don't really think that these motoring "awards" etc have anything to do with investigative journalism do you?  It is the old boy network, free lunches and gifts under the counter all the way.  Many reporters do not have a clue about cars and think items like an illuminated key-fob is an innovation

My neighbour is the editor of a South African domestic mechanical engineering journal and got his present job after he was motoring editor of a national newspaper.  Shortly before the annual awards and reports, there was a flurry of activity from the local agents for various car marques.  In one instance, at a lunch, he was asked quite casually if he had done any power boating, and said that he had once done it and enjoyed it.  When he got home that night, a brand-new speedboat with a 130hp outboard motor was parked outside his house on a trailer.  In an envelope with the keys was a voucher to have a tow-bat fitted to his car

He had to call this agent the next morning to say he could not possibly accept the generous gift and to make sure it was removed that day.  His wife told him that someone had come later that morning with a lorry bearing the dealer's logo on it and hitched up the trailer

That year, they decided that the Mazda 323 was to be car of the year, much to the surprise of many pundits and his boss called him in to say how surprised some of the car agents were that their car did not qualify for that award
If music be the food of love, play on

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2011-ford-fiesta-vs-2010-honda-fit-2011-mazda-2-comparison-test-2010-honda-fit-sport-page-3

This is present 8th generation Fiesta (it had cosmetic facelift in 2014) - seems like the Americans appreciate more than how many gadgets in a car - they are looking for the most useable everyday car - but then Honda has always had a good reputation in America.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
I'm in the market for a new car and I admit I was curious about the 62 plate deep blue Fiesta at the Ford dealer across the road from the Kia dealer I mooching around at. It had the intriguing Ecoboost engine (125bhp, sub-10 secs to 62mph) and came in Titanium spec with climate control and Bluetooth/USB. I sat in one in the showroom but the messy switchgear, cheap feeling steering wheel and that mouth made my mind up*. And the cabin is cramped too - no one expects Jazz-like space, but next to some other traditional hatches the Fiesta is tight in the back and in the boot. 

Needless to say, I'm still curious over the 1.0 litre three cylinder turbocharged Ecoboost engine after my experiences with other cars suggest that three cylinder = bad (VW Polo/Skoda Fabia) but turbocharged = good (Audi A1).

*And that fact that the 18 month old car had been fitted with two ditchfinder budget tyres despite covering just 8,000 miles - two unlucky punctures? Sloppy driving by previous keeper? Problem with car? Alarm bells ringing like the Broadmoor siren.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
Fiesta real mpg is 31% less quoted  http://tinyurl.com/kw9a79b

Journalists always quote EU fuel consumption.

Anyone who believes any journalist writing reviews like that.. are muppets at best and lying bar stewards at worst..

Strnage that Fiesta reality is much worst than most makers..

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
Driving a low mileage, one owner, well maintained 2003 (Mk 1) Ford Focus 1.6 petrol just now and although it admittedly is a 'very good drive' with great handling, good steering and - most notably - very absorbent ride...

... I'm continually reminded how its 'fit and finish' is not a patch on the premium feel of the GE Jazz I sadly sold recently (emigration). Doors shut, hatch shut, controls... everything... is just plain 'clunky' without the 'precision feel' I used to admire in my Jazz.

Tags: