Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 205664 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #480 on: September 05, 2020, 08:18:07 PM »
I run my tyres at 35 front and back. Even on the school run, don't be afraid to get it into 5th. I am usually in 5th or 3rd around town. Seldom use 4th. And try and make as much use of DFCO as possible.
The figure beside my avatar is my average miles per gallon since I bought the car. Four years and 41,000 miles.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2020, 08:30:47 AM »
The new rear coils seem to have improved fuel consumption. It's hard to be exact, my figures on Fuelly still vary widely (I think the pump cut off can make about 10 litres difference on what's in the tank) but my 3 month average is up to 45 so about 3 mpg more.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #482 on: September 08, 2020, 06:55:16 AM »
I run my tyres at 35 front and back. Even on the school run, don't be afraid to get it into 5th. I am usually in 5th or 3rd around town. Seldom use 4th. And try and make as much use of DFCO

Mines a CVT, so if I want to force an upshift I just lift my foot off the gas for a couple of seconds and gently press again. I notice it already uses the tallest gear ratio By 30MPH on flat roads.

I’ve run some stats on the school run yesterday using car scanner so I can better understand the vehicle behaviour. The middle gap in the graph is where I got out to pick up my kid. The gaps in the instantaneous MPG hopefully represent DFCO. I do not know the accuracy of the car scanner app yet, but will hopefully find out over time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:19:54 AM by DomnicZZ »
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #483 on: September 09, 2020, 08:54:19 PM »
I have asked this elsewhere but this is a very busy thread so I'll post it here as well:
Does having a non standard wheel/tyre size have any influence on the onboard computers calculations?
My tyre is a 185/65/15, which is a 2.1% larger circumference than stock 175/65/15
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #484 on: September 09, 2020, 09:40:01 PM »
It must do. There is no way the ECU knows the tyre size.
My ScanGauge E allows me to calibrate its speed against the GPS. Knowing the speed calibration, it can calculate the distance correctly.
Also with The ScanGauge, you input a correction factor for its calculation of how much fuel you put in to fill the tank compared to the actual fuel added. The secret here is to add or subtract HALF the difference, and over a few top-ups, you get pretty accurate. Now the ScanGauge is generally within 0.1 gallons against the actual. So I leave it as it is.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2020, 10:29:08 PM »
It must do. There is no way the ECU knows the tyre size.
My ScanGauge E allows me to calibrate its speed against the GPS. Knowing the speed calibration, it can calculate the distance correctly.
Also with The ScanGauge, you input a correction factor for its calculation of how much fuel you put in to fill the tank compared to the actual fuel added. The secret here is to add or subtract HALF the difference, and over a few top-ups, you get pretty accurate. Now the ScanGauge is generally within 0.1 gallons against the actual. So I leave it as it is.
What data exactly does the onboard computer use to make it's calculations?
I saw someone mention somewhere on the forum that the OBC uses the amount of time the injectors are open to calculate the fuel usage, does it then compare that to the odometer mileage to come to it's finding on historic fuel usage?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #486 on: September 10, 2020, 06:03:43 AM »
My 2 cents on this bigger tyre impact.
Let's say it's 2percent bigger circumference, over 100 miles reported on the odometer, you would have actually travelled 102 miles. The ECU does not know this. MPG calculations are based on odometer reading, so in theory it shouldn't impact. In practice though, the car would have worked 2 percent harder over the reported 100 miles, so you may see a minor dip in MPG on the display. But since you know you've traveled the extra 2 miles. You can calculate to compensate for this dip. In real life though, there are more MPG impacting factors like traffic,  road surface, weather etc, so unless testing on a dyno in a controlled environment, it will be hard to detect.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #487 on: September 10, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »
And the odometer isn't 100% accurate with the factory tires either...

It is not sure if larger diameter increases or decreases the absolute fuel consumption as it effectively changes the ratio making engine running lower rpm. It depends where on the engine specific consumption diagram is the current operating point.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #488 on: September 10, 2020, 06:54:42 AM »
Unless you do mpg testing using a 5th wheel and measured amounts of fuel it is all just approximate anyway. I calculate my mpg from when the pump first trips off, but who is to say that always happens at the same point. Fill up, calculate your mpg, and that's your number. Suppose it is +/- 0.2 mpg, who cares. You know if it is better or worse than expected, which is the main thing.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2020, 07:44:54 AM »
Unless you do mpg testing using a 5th wheel and measured amounts of fuel it is all just approximate anyway.
Exactly, that was my point too!

The accuracy of the fill-ups improves through time when calculating total miles and total amount of fuel.

I have a habit to fill up until the fuel surface is visible on the filler neck. In Jazz that makes only 1-2 liter difference, but in some other cars it may be even 5 litres.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:55:30 AM by TnTkr »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
In real life though, there are more MPG impacting factors like traffic,  road surface, weather etc, so unless testing on a dyno in a controlled environment, it will be hard to detect.

Exactly, which is why I cannot understand why people need to calculate their MPG to two decimal places... ( or even one decimal place )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #491 on: September 10, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
Maybe the two decimals are needed to get better results than the neighbor  ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #492 on: September 10, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
Exactly, which is why I cannot understand why people need to calculate their MPG to two decimal places... ( or even one decimal place )
Both Fuelly and spritmonitor automatically generates one decimal place. My ScanGauge E requests one decimal place on input.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
At 59 mpg today's top-up was the worst since the beginning of April. I knew that as soon as I started running my wife back and forward to work the fuel economy would suffer.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #494 on: September 18, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
Still outstanding Jocko.

Reckon you'd get close to 80 mpg with the Mk4 Jazz.

Tags: