Author Topic: Spark Plugs Full of Oil  (Read 749 times)

Frankoloko

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2007 1.5L VTEC Manual
Spark Plugs Full of Oil
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »
Hi there and thanks for any help in advance! I removed the spark plugs and saw that the top of the plugs has some oil on it. Where would this be coming from?

I removed my Value Cover and the Gasket on there is not at all linked to the Spark Plugs/Ignition Coils holes. So it is definitely not the Value Cover Gasket that has an issue.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Spark Plugs Full of Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
I had one spark plug like that but my mechanic said not to worry. The only way the oil gets on the plugs is through the cylinder. Perhaps the engine is burning a little oil. I know mine does.
Don't be confused with oil on the plugs or slightly wet with petrol.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:44:48 AM »
I had one spark plug like that but my mechanic said not to worry. The only way the oil gets on the plugs is through the cylinder. Perhaps the engine is burning a little oil. I know mine does.
Don't be confused with oil on the plugs or slightly wet with petrol.

I think OP mans that there is oil on the tops of the plugs,  the bit outside the cylinder.  If there was a bit of oil on plugs nearest oil filler cap I would suspect a spill when changing the oil, but then again most of the plug insulator is covered by the coil pack. 

What does the oil smell like,  is it engine oil, is it fresh ( not darkened by use ) or could it be something that was put on plug connections like vaseline.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Frankoloko

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »
Thanks Jacko! Yeah it is not a worry really, it won't affect the car much. I just want to try and figure out where it is coming from. No it is definitely oil hey, not petrol.

Culzean: Not sure exactly what you meant, but basically the top of the spark plug is full of oil (the ceramic white part). And the tips of the coils as well. It does smell, look and feel like oil (basic brownish/yellowish oil). It shouldn't be oil spill when changing because I always use a Funnel. I also wiped of the plugs a while ago, and checked it now to see oil again. So it isn't something that someone else left there (like vaseline)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:37:36 AM »
Oil leak from somewhere. I was confused by the "I removed the spark plugs and saw that the top of the plugs has some oil on it.

Frankoloko

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »
No worries :) But how would the oil get in there? The Ignition Coils seal pretty tightly, so I wouldn't think oil can get in there from above.

Tags: