Poll

Car cleaning - an obsession or a chore?

I'm into car detailing - the full works
8 (24.2%)
Wash/vac regularly, polish/wax twice a year
18 (54.5%)
I clean it when it's dirty, nothing else
5 (15.2%)
I only ever use car washes or those wash-while-you-shop services at the supermarket
1 (3%)
I never wash it...or only if I really, really have to
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Car cleaning - an obsession or a chore?  (Read 14055 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Car cleaning - an obsession or a chore?
« on: August 09, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
So how do you view car cleaning? Is a chore or something you enjoy?

Please state what producs you use.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Car cleaning - an obsession or a chore?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »
I use Autoglym products.

Also I give the Jazz a deep clean once a year. Which includes removing all wheels and cleaning them inside and out, also under the wheel arches while the wheels are off. All door shuts and engine bay too. Inside top to bottom and to finish the outside two coats of polish.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:46:04 AM by JazzyB »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
The darkest car I have ever had was a very dark blue metallic, which looked dirty the day after it was cleaned, I will never, ever again buy anything other than silver.

I love silver, all dirt dries to a silver colour and my jazz never really needs cleaning on the outside - only once yearly wash and wax - I do like to keep windows clean because I hate driving with dirty windows.

My neighbours on either side, one has a black BMW coupe, the other a funny dark purple coloured ford focus RS - both are always cleaning their cars, the RS owner never hardly uses his car but it gets cleaned EVERY day (in the garage if its raining - no joke) the black beemer gets used regularly but at least an hour a day spent cleaning it - get a life you two.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Geoffers

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:22:19 AM »
I waxed my car with the same preparation that dealerships offer for about £400. Mine cost £10 on eBay!
I wash it 'bout every week in just cold water - nothing else! Vac it out at the same time.
Didn't vote as the waxing lasts three years!

guest229

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 07:12:17 AM »
Wash/wax every week. Jofswax carnuba twice a year. If I have been out and the car is covered in road filth before it dries I blast the muck off with a spray lance connected to the outside tap.

guest809

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »
Both the wife's Jazz and my company car (Merc C class currently but I have had other things) get a wash/integrated wax at least once a fortnight. I nearly ticked the "into detailing" box as I will very often wash inside door jams etc and use Wonder Wheels on alloy wheels. Usually chamoised dry too.

I know colleagues who only get their company cars washed when they go in for servicing  :o  but I treat mine like it was my own.

Do I enjoy doing it? Not sure, but I absolutely enjoy seeing them sparkle once they are clean.

I agree with Culzean about silver tho. Jazz is Storm Silver and only does local miles so is ok, but my Merc is dark grey - lovely when clean but a devil once it has been up the motorway once.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
It's not so much the dirt that's the problem with the violet paint (washing fixes that) but how easily it shows up the slightest scratch, and how easily such a light scratch happens.

guest516

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »
My last 3 Hondas have been shades of grey/silver so I decided to have a change & bought a Jazz ex i-shift in Deep Violet Pearl deciding the tinted windows & black trim under rear window blended with DVP the best of colours available & looked 'classy' 8):) 
Yes it shows dirt/dust more than a silver/grey would but its a small down to the pleasure of looking at & driving a good looking car ;D
Driving on narrow country roads with muddy edges the nearside is often covered in mud which I wash off whatever the colour of the car  ???
I use AutoGlym bodywork shampoo (or use up the collection of part used shampoos :-[) & Turtle Wax Color Back - you're right nowster it does show light scratches :'(
Now showing 6000 enjoyable miles  :) Should I now rotate my tyres to get even wear?

guest765

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »
The Sirius Blue is the colour of my wife's Jazz, which has fallen into my jurisdiction re the cleaning of it.......it has been the easiest car and colour i have had to clean, my car   8) i prepare for competitions and that takes some keeping up to......the colour is called Mistral.......a mid blue with detailed metalic paint.......looks great when prepared for shows ;D.....not a chore a pleasure to do. ;)

guest671

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:53:56 PM »
I enjoy cleaning my car especially in the winter. It gets me out in the fresh air and is good exercise. I used to have a silver Jazz and I agree that never got really dirty however my new one is milano red and whilst that looks much smarter when clean and shiny it does show the dirt (and scratch marks) much more.

204driver

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
Love car cleaning! Me and my girlfriend have a 2006 BMW 123D, 2004 Honda jazz and a 1988 VW golf gti between us! And i clean them all! Buy most of my stuff in bulk from my Autogylm rep.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »
Wash the car once a month, maybe less often in winter
Polish & wax every six months, usually at Easter then again late October ready for the winter.
Vac whenever required.

Just bought some booty at Halfords on the 3 for 2 offer:

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest221

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
My cleaning regime:

1. Drive to Tesco's
2. Give some Lativans £6 at the hand car wash
3. Do shopping
4. Come back to a clean car

guest809

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »
I'll do it for a fiver.......

guest1004

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 07:19:04 PM »
Hi!
Not sure at the moment as have only had my Jazz for 1 week!
Think it will be a pleasure as want to keep it looking as good as it does now!
Can I ask though, what's the best product  on the market to clean the interior and keep it smelling that lovely new smell. ( Hope it is ok to ask that on my reply!)
Thanks in anticipation!
xxx :-[

Tags: