Author Topic: Catalytic converter stolen from my Jazz  (Read 5472 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Catalytic converter stolen from my Jazz
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 04:53:12 PM »
If you use some anti-tamper screws such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Tamper-Number-Security-Driver/dp/B07MGM4LJ9 then the cover might be enough to discourage the scrotes.

Another deterrent is to put up some movement-sensitive lights. The solar-powered lights don't need wiring and dont need much light to charge them provided they turn off when no movement is sensed. Add a dummy security camera and the undesirables will probably take their business elsewhere.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 07:19:54 PM »
The picture of the shield covering show me a piece of metal which would last 20seconds with an angle grinder...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 08:30:16 PM »
The picture of the shield covering show me a piece of metal which would last 20seconds with an angle grinder...

They don't use angle grinder,  just a pipe cutter which is quick and quiet - problem with MK1 CAT is it lies flat under car and exhaust pipe on both sides is easy to access...

Do they supply sticky labels with the CAT shield to stick on side windows saying 'CAT guard fitted' - that may be all it needs for them to go elsewhere.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2005 automatic
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
If you use some anti-tamper screws such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Tamper-Number-Security-Driver/dp/B07MGM4LJ9 then the cover might be enough to discourage the scrotes.

Another deterrent is to put up some movement-sensitive lights. The solar-powered lights don't need wiring and dont need much light to charge them provided they turn off when no movement is sensed. Add a dummy security camera and the undesirables will probably take their business elsewhere.

Thank you John for the link, if it is better than normal screw, so it might work.

We gave a street lamp just outside our garage and the car is always inside the garage at night, but to place a dummy CCTV is a good idea :-)

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 09:12:03 PM »

I am not so good on the technical side, it says on this cover that it is made from galvanised steel, so I thought it might be stronger than normal and it is not so easy to cut through. But if it is not true then there is really no point to use this shield/cover.

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »

They don't use angle grinder,  just a pipe cutter which is quick and quiet - problem with MK1 CAT is it lies flat under car and exhaust pipe on both sides is easy to access...

Do they supply sticky labels with the CAT shield to stick on side windows saying 'CAT guard fitted' - that may be all it needs for them to go elsewhere.

When our cat was stolen they used saw as I heard it, but when I opened the door they were already finished and took of in their car directly.

I haven't seen anything about labels, they only sell this cover, but it is probably possible to buy separately. But if those ba.....ds weren't afraid to use a saw and create a noise they would probably not care about a label, just try and see if it is possible to take it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 12:00:23 AM »
The window stickers and labels are a good idea, I've mentioned this on another thread. Even if you don't do anything else, it might just be enough to make the odd opportunist move on without looking further, if you're lucky.

There are lots of security bolt types available, but even if the fixings for the plate are standard overlong hex bolts with nyloc locking nuts on the reverse, it's going to delay them sufficiently - even if they happen to have two spanners the right size. As culzean says, they don't often come equipped with a grinder either, so the plate should be reasonably effective with a bit of thought going into the installation.

Note that all you are trying to do is delay them sufficiently to increase the risk of them getting interrupted.

The rebar is a good cheap DIY solution, 3/8" concrete reinforcing bar is relatively cheap from builder's merchants or scrapyards. It depends how helpful the garage is as to whether they would be interested in going to the trouble of fabricating the bits and welding them up to the pipe. However, labour time costs money, and in your case, the prefabricated plate may be the better option.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:04:15 AM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 08:35:30 AM »

I am not so good on the technical side, it says on this cover that it is made from galvanised steel, so I thought it might be stronger than normal and it is not so easy to cut through. But if it is not true then there is really no point to use this shield/cover.

The steel is galvanised with a zinc coating to stop it rusting, the the zinc coating is soft and does nothing to make the steel stronger ( in fact if you get zinc included in a weld it makes the weld weaker ) - only to stop it rusting.   Some zinc coatings are measured in microns ( thousandth of a mm ) the better ones are 'hot dip' coatings where the part is dipped in a bath of molten zinc,  the thinner coatings are normally the perfectly smooth coatings and the thinner ones rough and uneven ( sometimes called 'spangled galv' )
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:14:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
Lots of ways to protect on You Tube...

And ways to remove them as well

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cut+catalysts+from+honda+jazz

Tags:

anything