Author Topic: Powerbanks  (Read 36948 times)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.41
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Powerbanks
« on: September 23, 2023, 04:16:02 PM »
Has anyone found a powerbank that has sufficient cable to reach the recommneded stud bolt across the engine from the battery?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Powerbanks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 08:19:00 AM »
Good point. The universally recommended method of jump starting is to connect to a good earth/ground point , remote from the battery to minimise the chance of a spark igniting any explosive gases from the battery. 

My little cheap and cheerful power bank comes with very short jump leads, spanning only about 30 cm (12") in total. Long enough to connect directly to the Jazz battery terminals ,(and most but possibly not all, larger batteries. ) Or  alternatively the red lead to the battery and the black lead directly to a nearby bolt on the engine block  .  But either way all connections would be made very near the battery.

In my ignorant and reckless youth I often jump started  directly to the battery terminals, and lived to tell the tale.  And that was in the days of topping up cells.     

Is there still a risk of explosive gases from a sealed ,maintenance free battery?   Or is the recommended procedure  just to be on the safe side for any type.     

I always  carry some conventional jump leads, as a belt and braces approach, so could if necessary extend the negative lead of the power bank using one of those. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 10:15:42 AM »
A further thought. The short wires on my power bank are quite thin.   10awg  and 200c heat rating.  The negative is only 10 cm long, the positive  20cm long.     10awg wire is rated at 30 amp continuous     but can probably take a lot more amps for a few seconds before  burning out. 

These power banks  make the claim they can start a conventional ICE engine with a starter motor. Thats a lot of amps.  It would need to start in a couple of seconds I think or would burn out.   It might only be possible if the main battery  still has enough charge  to supply most of the amps.

But I think I read somewhere that  hybrids only need about 30 amps to power up their 12volt  systems. And only  needs this much because it needs to power a heavy duty switch to bring the HV battery into use.  (which actually does the heavy lifting of starting the ICE.  )     
So for a  mk4 Jazz the powerbank would never  need to provide 200+  amps to crank the engine. Just 30 amps or so for a couple of seconds  . I think it would work, although I have never needed to put it to the test.   Has anyone on here ever used a small power bank to power up a mk4 with a flat 12v battery? 

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of experts.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 10:29:01 AM by Lord Voltermore »

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 11:13:10 AM »
Nice to have some knoledgable input.

Quote - "I always  carry some conventional jump leads, as a belt and braces approach, so could if necessary extend the negative lead of the power bank using one of those."

If I buy a powerbank looks like i will need to consider buying a short jump lead set and graft on an extension from that to keep package compact.

Only looking at this because of battery tales on Forum and fact I will be leaving car for a few weeks over festive period in a northern airport car park. Would rather not be caught out!

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 12:21:22 PM »
Asking the supplier if the powerbank I am interested in has connectors which will allow the use of this extension - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1HSMP1V/?coliid=I2FG2S0DXFKA7L&colid=243FA2RQK3C06&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 12:44:43 PM »
It's rated at 50 amps so should be up to the job for the few seconds a successful jump would take. Longer time might be problematic. The problem is connectors are the weak link in any high current scenario. Conventional jump leads would have accepatble resistance in extending a power bank, the weak link would be the croc clips join, where a crimped and welded join would be optimal, but that's not to say it wouldn't work in an emergency, all depends on the discharge state. 

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 01:06:13 PM »
Autoexpress do quite good reviews.  One powerbank they recommend is MSC Overland
Their website says leads for the 10Ah unit gives 53cm span ( I think) but also says a longer version is available.  Worth a check.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 01:08:41 PM »
If the power bank has a On/Off switch there is no concern connecting just to the 2 battery terminals. The only reason for connecting to a remote earth point with jump leads is that they are always live and it means any spark generated when connecting is away from any fumes from the battery.

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 09:58:44 PM »
Autoexpress do quite good reviews.  One powerbank they recommend is MSC Overland
Their website says leads for the 10Ah unit gives 53cm span ( I think) but also says a longer version is available.  Worth a check.

Having looked at thisreview and the website with recommendations the MSC Overalandwith the (thought about) extension and being UK based (yes probably chineses product) bought one of these, will comment in future on perforamnce - if needed.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 10:52:47 AM »
....the MSC Overalandwith the (thought about) extension and being UK based (yes probably chineses product) bought one of these, will comment in future on perforamnce - if needed.

I hope for your sake that we have to wait forever for that comment!
That would mean that you spent your money for nothing and never needed a power bank. :-*
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 01:53:22 PM »
It is an insurance just as you insure the car. Hopefully never need to use it but it's there if you do.

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 07:04:52 AM »
....the MSC Overalandwith the (thought about) extension and being UK based (yes probably chineses product) bought one of these, will comment in future on perforamnce - if needed.

I hope for your sake that we have to wait forever for that comment!
That would mean that you spent your money for nothing and never needed a power bank. :-*

Everyone's hope, only time I have used jump leads has been on other peoples cars.
It does provide a back up for charging other devices, so it will go on the winter holiday also, sometimes power cuts in Tenerife.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 09:04:03 AM »
Mine also functions as a torch, and act as a normal 5v usb power bank / charger  for phones, cameras, sat navs,dash cams etc.   independent of a constant drain on the cars 12v battery  or needing mains power for a charger.      But two  main reasons prompted me to buy. 

I like to be self sufficient and not having to rely on finding someone willing to give me a jump start, or waiting who knows how long  for a recovery vehicle, .And also  I would be reluctant to give someone else  in need  a jump start with such a small 12v battery in the mk4.  It could leave us both stranded.   But i would try to help with the power bank.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 10:11:48 AM »
e, .And also  I would be reluctant to give someone else  in need  a jump start with such a small 12v battery in the mk4.  It could leave us both stranded.   But i would try to help with the power bank.

I think its important to highlight the fact that the 12v battery on a MK4 Jazz is designed ONLY to power all the ancillary equipment/devices on the car. It is NOT designed to start the IC engine, which is started by the HV battery.

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 12:54:39 PM »
e, .And also  I would be reluctant to give someone else  in need  a jump start with such a small 12v battery in the mk4.  It could leave us both stranded.   But i would try to help with the power bank.

I think its important to highlight the fact that the 12v battery on a MK4 Jazz is designed ONLY to power all the ancillary equipment/devices on the car. It is NOT designed to start the IC engine, which is started by the HV battery.

I think this is completely wrong, the engine is started via the standard 12v battery in the engine bay, possibly the HV battery restarts it when moving from EV mode.

If it didn't start the ICE why do Honda cars of this type have sections on jump starting in the manuals?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 01:47:33 PM by aphybrid »

Tags:

anything