Author Topic: Rear pads  (Read 774 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Rear pads
« on: July 24, 2021, 05:06:22 PM »
Hi

Just doing the rear pads on my 2010 i-shift, all going well, however i'm not sure about the piston adjustment with new pads. I presume you screw the piston in to just make the pads free of the disc, then reconnect the handbrake cable that i have disconected at the caliper???

Them maybe adjust the handbrake cables inside so they both just start grabing at the same time

What do you think???

Mike

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
Re: Rear pads
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 05:47:06 PM »
hi  I have the same car i shift 2010 did my rear pads a couple of weeks ago just chocked up the front wheels  jacked up the back released handbrake inside of car, and un clipped the cable from the caliper took off the caliper released the pads made sure the pins were greased and moved freely wound back the piston clockwise as far as it would go( fronts just push back) assembled everything back put back handbrake cable, compressed brake pedal a few times and pulled up and down handbrake piston in caliper will click back against pads there or four times up and down should do the trick went for mot all good hope this helps

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 09:28:12 PM »
Never unclipped the handbrake cable when I have done rear pads, the mechanism for the handbrake is self-adjusting.

Here are a couple of articles on disc handbrake mechanism.

http://cf.linnbenton.edu/eit/auto/ehlersr/upload/Servicing%20Front%20Brake%20Calipers%20-%20All.pdf

http://www.engineeringinspiration.co.uk/parkingadj.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 08:08:42 AM »
Hi

I couldn't remove the old pads without disconecting the handbrake cables, just unhooked and removed clip and it lifted up.

Mike

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 08:29:22 AM »
Done rear pads twice.
Followed maker's instructions on manual on internet.
Never undid handbrake cable.

Easy peasy.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
Well there you go!! All back and working fine.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 01:19:31 PM »
Hi

I couldn't remove the old pads without disconecting the handbrake cables, just unhooked and removed clip and it lifted up.

Mike

Only time the brake cable has bothered me is when replacing a rear disc and have to get the whole caliper out of the way to get discs off and on,  when replacing brake pads only never even touched the cable.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:54:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: