Author Topic: EV and petrol prices.  (Read 1044 times)

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
EV and petrol prices.
« on: July 18, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
With the looming uk combustion engine ban 2030, we should see a significant uptake in the use of EV and Hybrid as we edge closer to 2030. Other technologies may emerge also.
My question is, where do we see Petrol prices heading?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: EV and petrol prices.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »
Through the roof if OPEC,UAE and Russia can't get it together and agree on quota out put levels.
It also doesn't help when the USA only charges pennies per litre.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 02:04:47 PM »
Hell will freeze over before the US applies European levels of taxes on petrol.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:36:17 PM »
The tax on petrol will surely increase as the government tries to persuade us to move to EVs.  The big question is; how does the government recoup the lost revenue form declining petrol and diesel sales?

Also will there be a backlash from motorists unable to charge their vehicles at home who are forced to use public charging facilities that will undoubtedly be more expensive than home charging.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:39:55 AM by Pine »

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 07:03:27 PM »
The tax on petrol will surely increase as the government tries to persuade us to move to EVs.  The big question is; how does the government recoup the revenue form declining petrol and diesel sales?

Also will there be a backlash from motorists unable to charge their vehicles at home who are forced to use public charging facilities that will undoubtedly be more expensive than home charging.
Yes, the usual Supply and demand paradigm, doesn't really explain the forthcoming state of affairs.
I think it may have applied, had there not been additional factors, namely the government trying to wean us off combustion fuels and their arbitrary fuel duty penalty, which acts as a revenue generator and punishment also.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 08:19:57 PM »
The tax on petrol will surely increase as the government tries to persuade us to move to EVs.  The big question is; how does the government recoup the revenue form declining petrol and diesel sales?

Some Australian states have put a 3 cents per kilometre road charge on EV,  they rightly say that all vehicles should pay towards road building and maintenance,  and the average EV is twice the weight of its ICE counterpart, and does not get lighter as the fuel is used...  Expect all governments to use similar 'non-fuel' taxes ( they cannot raise VAT on electricity as it would affect industry and domestic users ) - maybe this is where smart meters will show their original purpose - different costs for different uses.... and smart meters will go from being voluntary to being mandatory...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 08:34:25 PM »
  and the average EV is twice the weight of its ICE counterpart

I’ve seen you mention this before. I call BS. Twice the weight? Where’s the evidence of that?

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 09:17:12 PM »
Smartmeters will eventually be forced upon us. Till then I'll keep fielding the emails and phone calls, offering me the opportunity to have one. No thanks.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »
According to the Honda website, the max quoted kerbweight of the Mk4 Ex is 1246 Kg against a Mk3 Ex CVT weight of 1121kg.
The equates to an increase of 11.1%, hardly twice the weight of its ICE counterpart :o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:40:32 PM by Kenneve »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »
Just like having a Mk 3 with me as a passenger!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
Just like having a Mk 3 with me as a passenger!

:) :)

I've often wondered if there is a metric for overweight passengers. Both my wife and I are overweight!

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »
According to some figures I have just seen an electric car is approximately  20 - 30 % heavier than an equivalent sized petrol car.
Interestingly vehicle tax as it is now termed does not go to funding road building / maintenance, it used to be
a road fund licence in the past but now just vehicle tax based on emissions. Don nt know how the roads are now funded.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 07:27:14 PM »
The three-door Mini EV is 16% heavier than the three-door ICE. The Jaguar I-Pace is 13% heavier than the heaviest F-Pace but 25% heavier than the lightest model in the range.
The Tesla Model 3 is 9% heavier than a Mondeo and the Model S is 12% heavier than a VW Arteon.
So like for like, EVs are more like 10 - 15% heavier rather than 20 - 30%.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 08:18:49 PM »
Thought so. There’s quite a weight saving when you lose all the ICE shenanigans.

Tags:

anything