Author Topic: And another thing.  (Read 2574 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
And another thing.
« on: July 07, 2021, 10:25:00 AM »
A new habit that seems to be creeping in are drivers going right on a roundabout who, not only do they not signal their intention to leave the roundabout but they don't even cancel their indicator (why should I, the car will do it for me?).
You are waiting to join at their off route and because they are signalling you think they are continuing round. Then they come off with their right indicator still flashing. Some suddenly realise you are waiting and as they turn off they cancel their indicator. Too late, swine.
I always cancel my indicator at the previous route, as soon as there is no doubt I am continuing round, then signal my intention to leave as soon as I am abeam the previous route. Maybe I was just taught right.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: And another thing.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
I feel your pain. Warrington has loads of roundabouts and it's a real issue round here.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 10:48:27 AM »
That's if they can be bothered to use the indicators, and as for positional driving?!*?#!/.
My driving instructor had some very wise words all those years ago, " If you treat them all as complete and utter idiots, then with a bit of luck you won't have an accident."
Amen to that.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
We all know neither BMWs nor Audis are fitted with indicators.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:24:46 AM »

And if they are, they never remember to top up the blinker fluid.

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
Not half as bad as those in the car in front who stop dead at a roundabout even when it’s clear to go! You look to the right and see it’s clear then have to stamp on the brakes because the idiot in front decides to stop.  >:(

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »
I know it has been a trend for some time, but I do wonder if the move to so many "automated" systems (headlights/wipers/lane warnings/parking sensors etc) is promoting the "I don't need to do anything" approach of drivers today.
If the car doesn't do it automatically it can't be important, can it?

There is also a trend round here for drivers to use the left lane round roundabouts regardless of how many exits they are passing. All well and good until you are the one in the right lane taking the 3rd exit and someone is sitting to your left intent on carrying on round, often using the left lane as an opportunity to overtake.

I told my nephew I was becoming an old f*rt, and now I have the car to prove it!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 11:48:27 AM by embee »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »
Yeah, lane discipline on Islands seems to have gone to pot, so does signalling your intention.... If anyone can benefit from a signal ( waiting to come on to island, or turning right give a signal in plenty of time to give the tailgater behind plenty of warning I will be slowing down soon), I will gladly use indicators.    I think embee is correct about all the automated stuff in cars meaning drivers pay less attention.

And if they are, they never remember to top up the blinker fluid.

Made me laff.......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »
Unless they are the newer sweeping versions. They love to show those off !!  :D

I always remember being taught that when it comes to vehicles on the roundabout, the wheels are a good indication of where the vehicle is headed. Signals mean nothing.

I've said it before. We need to be the first country in the world to have compulsory re-tests. Your licence is valid for 10yrs, and you need to pass a further test to get another 10yrs. Rather like your car has an MOT, so should your driving! Never going to happen, but I firmly believe it would put driving back on peoples radar rather than just hooning about in any old fashion they choose.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »
...  We need to be the first country in the world to have compulsory re-tests. Your licence is valid for 10yrs, and you need to pass a further test to get another 10yrs. .....
The biggest trouble with that is simply the logistics. We'd need something like 5 or 6 times as many driving test centres/examiners etc. (if someone takes a test one day at, say, 20yrs old, there will also be someone at 30 yrs, 40, 50, 60 etc taking a re-test)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »
I always remember being taught that when it comes to vehicles on the roundabout, the wheels are a good indication of where the vehicle is headed. Signals mean nothing.

Well when someone is going around a roundabout the wheels have to be pointing along the radius of the lane they are in, so no help there looking at wheels.  The wheels will only change direction once someone is going off the roundabout, and then the vehicle is pointing that way as well, so no help there...  ???  You can normally tell when someone is stationary at a junction which way they are going as many people have already steered the wheels the way they intend to turn.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 02:45:40 PM »
The biggest trouble with that is simply the logistics. We'd need something like 5 or 6 times as many driving test centres/examiners etc. (if someone takes a test one day at, say, 20yrs old, there will also be someone at 30 yrs, 40, 50, 60 etc taking a re-test)

Oh I agree, a logistical nightmare for sure. Perhaps every 25yrs then? Either way, it's still a bonkers system that a quick spin round the block at age 17, and you're golden until you hang up your driving gloves. A retest would help people focus on the business of driving and make them mindful of how they drive.

Well when someone is going around a roundabout the wheels have to be pointing along the radius of the lane they are in, so no help there looking at wheels.  The wheels will only change direction once someone is going off the roundabout, and then the vehicle is pointing that way as well, so no help there...  ???  You can normally tell when someone is stationary at a junction which way they are going as many people have already steered the wheels the way they intend to turn.

I disagree. A vehicle on a roudabout you are waiting to join may have it's right turn signal on, yet the direction of the wheels will clealy show that the vehicle is leaving the roundabout. Conversely, a vehicle may be signalling left to leave the roundabout, yet it's wheels are turned to show it is in fact staying on the roundabout. A vehicle will always follow its wheels, not the signal is the point I make. 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 03:47:09 PM »
As a motorbike rider as well as a fugbox driver I rarely take notice of signals, I trust them a bit more if I actually see the signal start flashing,  but too many people around who do not cancel a signal if it does not cancel itself. If I want to reinforce my signal I will flash headlights ( now that will open up a can of worms ) it is readily accepted in our neck of the woods as an OK, go ahead signal.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 03:58:53 PM »
Just to tip out the worms, I do that too. If someone is waiting to exit a junction and I am turning into it I will flash to reinforce the signal. Up to them whether they act on it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
I've never flashed anyone.

I was told that it could be used against you if something happens. If I'm letting someone out or across my bow I just stop and let them make their own decision.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything