Author Topic: Rear GB mark no longer allowed.  (Read 1607 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Rear GB mark no longer allowed.
« on: July 05, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
If you're driving abroad you will now need to have UK on the number plate or a separate UK sticker from 28th Sep.

Seems the Gov have decided to change the 111 year old GB with a UK one to show solidarity with Northern Ireland.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:27:04 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Rear GB mark no longer allowed.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 05:11:05 PM »
If you're driving abroad you will now need to have UK on the number plate or a separate UK sticker from 28th Sep.

Seems the Gov have decided to change the 111 year old GB with a UK one to show solidarity with Northern Ireland.

From what I remember, the requirement is under a UN treaty, not something that the UK can change unilaterally.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
Wot no GB plate? That's not on at all. I have covered 10's of thousands of miles proudly displaying a GB plate.

So what will our island communities do? IOM is GBM, Jersey GBJ etc. UKM and UKJ?

From the Autoexpress article linked "the switch to UK signifiers was not formally announced by the Government. Instead it was spotted as a footnote in UN regulations by the AA, which says it has 50,000 items of stock it will now need to change."

If getting our country identifier clearly through transition is this much of a kerfuffle, lord only knows what complete mess is being made of things that are actualy important. Perhaps the AA better oversee the Brexit process just to be sure.  :D

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 10:00:50 PM »
From what I remember, the requirement is under a UN treaty, not something that the UK can change unilaterally.

Autoexpress article says -

"the UK Government has written to the United Nations to effect the change, stating: “The United Kingdom is changing the distinguishing sign that it had previously selected for display in international traffic on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom, from “GB” to “UK”...this change will take effect on 28 September 2021.”

I'm so glad this govt are dealing with the important stuff first.

Ironically I have just put GB stickers on a couple of my bikes because the Euro/GB plates no longer satisfied the requirements, now it appears I'll have to change the stickers.
What a bunch of sh**-for-brains wastrels, can't keep their ... (edited - apologies, language a bit too spicy even for this broad minded forum)

..........  and breathe.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:25:46 PM by embee »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 10:40:32 PM »
Wot no GB plate? That's not on at all. I have covered 10's of thousands of miles proudly displaying a GB plate.

So what will our island communities do? IOM is GBM, Jersey GBJ etc. UKM and UKJ?

From the Autoexpress article linked "the switch to UK signifiers was not formally announced by the Government. Instead it was spotted as a footnote in UN regulations by the AA, which says it has 50,000 items of stock it will now need to change."

If getting our country identifier clearly through transition is this much of a kerfuffle, lord only knows what complete mess is being made of things that are actualy important. Perhaps the AA better oversee the Brexit process just to be sure.  :D

The trouble with the AA is that it is now in the hands of a private equity takeover MK2 and like all private equity ventures, it will probably end up being 'reorganised' and regurgitated as another debt for equity stunt, again. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some clueless marketing guru comes up with the brilliant idea of freshening up the brand and changing the trademark yellow to something a bit more...green. Yep, that's definitely the solution to their problems, just like that Australian idiot Ayling who insisted on respraying BA's fleet at great expense to distract everyone's attention from the real underlying problems of running a modern airline business. After he was eventually jettisoned, someone had the brilliant idea of returning to the traditional red, white and blue format in an attempt to distract everyone's attention from the real underlying problems of running a modern airline business. They are now in bed with the Spanish so everything is just fine....

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »
Why would you want to go abroad?
When we can look forward to road charging, auto tolls & cars banned from cities......

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »
When we can look forward to road charging, auto tolls & cars banned from cities......

Simple: you want to go abroad so the Government can  - at a moment's notice - change the status of the country you are in so you have to quarantine yourself for a week on return .
or - change the status before you go on holiday so you can cancel and lose a lot of money and a holiday.

The above is what is happening in the real world.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 08:31:49 AM »

European countries also have a myriad of rules to be aware of

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 02:51:50 PM »
This forum has achieved new levels of grumpiness. Unfortunately, if planetary levels of grump continue to rise at this rate the whole world will be engulfed by 2085.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/
I got a Crit-air sticker for one of my bikes when the regs came out (a couple of years ago). Not that I frequently go into cities, but Grenoble is one on the list and for the sake of Eu4 it was simple online. It only applies in certain cities with bad pollution problems, and then only when the levels are high, not all the time. They show signs for which level of Crit-air pass (depending on which emission level the vehicle is, EURO 3, 4, 5 etc) are allowed in to the city at any time.
The worst aspect is that each country has a different system (e.g. Germany), the EU is unfortunately a lot less centralised than some would have you believe.
Birmingham has recently introduced a substantially similar emission charging system to the London arrangement, another excellent reason to not visit Birmingham (or London, in addition to all the other reasons).

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »
Adventure, history, culture, scenery to name but a few. I love the UK and think it is an amazing place, but there is so much to see the other side of the Euro tunnel.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 07:51:31 PM »
I got a Crit-air sticker for one of my bikes when the regs came out (a couple of years ago). Not that I frequently go into cities, but Grenoble is one on the list and for the sake of Eu4 it was simple online. It only applies in certain cities with bad pollution problems, and then only when the levels are high, not all the time. They show signs for which level of Crit-air pass (depending on which emission level the vehicle is, EURO 3, 4, 5 etc) are allowed in to the city at any time.
The worst aspect is that each country has a different system (e.g. Germany), the EU is unfortunately a lot less centralised than some would have you believe.
Birmingham has recently introduced a substantially similar emission charging system to the London arrangement, another excellent reason to not visit Birmingham (or London, in addition to all the other reasons).

I don't need too many extra reasons to hate Birmingham, last time we went ( to the NIA ) the area around it looked like Beirut on a bad day, roads ripped up and barriers and diversions everywhere,  almost late for show and we had started off early.  Getting back out was worse,  we took over an hour and what seems like 50 miles of diversions until we got back onto M6 north... The emissions charge is just another nail in the coffin of my relationship with Brum, and I am sure it is another nail in the coffin of Birmingham's shops, just when they are already under pressure from out of town shopping and internet.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: