Author Topic: Rising petrol prices.  (Read 3055 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Rising petrol prices.
« on: June 20, 2021, 07:18:48 PM »
The price of petrol seems on an ever-upward spiral. So far this month I have had to fill my tank three times and twice the cost has been up by another 1p/litre. I will have to fill up again on Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning and today I noticed it is already up another 1p. I know oil prices are rising but it looks like retailers are trying to recoup some of the losses in profit during the pandemic. It would have to reach a two year high now I am forced to drive 600 miles a week, hopefully for no more than another 6 weeks.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Rising petrol prices.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 08:48:20 PM »
They are on the way up for sure. Demand is up, so we all know prices will follow.

Thank goodness the Jazz is so thrifty, a few pence per litre doesn't really matter too much. When we ran the Octavia VRS that lived on super unleaded only, I can remember paying £1.65 a litre!! The car was returning sub 30mpg too, so expensive times indeed. The Jazz is peanuts by comparison!  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:27:27 PM »
Where you are makes a big difference to the price. Less than 2 weeks ago I topped up the tank at Sainsburys in Bishop Auckland at £1.199 /litre. It's the cheapest place I know of for refuelling (but only any use if living there or passing through) and I think it's caused by Sainsburys and Tesco being very close to each other and both selling petrol. In May I noticed similarly low prices in Penzance where the two supermarkets were also every close. Also less than 2 weeks ago I drove down the M6 in Lancashire and noticed one services sell unleaded at £1.499. I know that motorway fuel is expensive but that was exhorbitant.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 08:34:51 AM »
Where you are makes a big difference to the price. Less than 2 weeks ago I topped up the tank at Sainsburys in Bishop Auckland at £1.199 /litre. It's the cheapest place I know of for refuelling (but only any use if living there or passing through) and I think it's caused by Sainsburys and Tesco being very close to each other and both selling petrol. In May I noticed similarly low prices in Penzance where the two supermarkets were also every close. Also less than 2 weeks ago I drove down the M6 in Lancashire and noticed one services sell unleaded at £1.499. I know that motorway fuel is expensive but that was exhorbitant.

Our local Sainsbury is £1.30/litre.
A Sainsbury in nearby Stoke on Trent is £1.195/litre.
Competition form nearby Morrisons and Asda makes all the difference.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 09:15:59 AM »
The annual expenditure  for petrol for  operating a high-mpg   car  is one of the least of this owners worries, Knowing my  monthly mileage, I can  make a forecast of my petrol bill,  £20 a week buys enough fuel for 150 to 200 miles of travel over 7 days.  It is the bills that  I cannot predict or control that I think about,  unpredictable  depreciation  which may be £2000 a year and "out of the blue" repair bills to tyres brakes and exhaust systems are the bills I fear,

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
I always buy old cars and run them until they are done so I never consider depreciation. However, I will when I finally get my new car. Increasingly looking like a Mk4 Jazz.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:51:17 AM »
Same here. I see from Fuelly that in 2 1/2 years and 26 thousand miles what I've spent on fuel is roughly twice the cost of the car.

"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
The annual expenditure  for petrol for  operating a high-mpg   car  is one of the least of this owners worries, Knowing my  monthly mileage, I can  make a forecast of my petrol bill,  £20 a week buys enough fuel for 150 to 200 miles of travel over 7 days.  It is the bills that  I cannot predict or control that I think about,  unpredictable  depreciation  which may be £2000 a year and "out of the blue" repair bills to tyres brakes and exhaust systems are the bills I fear,
Depreciation is an unavoidable fact of motoring life. The newer the car, the more you lose, but in theory you get a more reliable machine and peace of mind of a warranty. Older cars don't really lose money, but the chance of paying for repairs is higher. As they say, pays your money,  take your choice.

With regard to unexpected bills, again, just a fact of car ownership. Tyres and brakes are cheap consumables compared to new car depreciation, and all cars wear them out. Much like servicing and wiper blades etc, what ever you drive they will need spending on. Exhausts, they can be expensive but very rarely need replacing.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
Depreciation is an unavoidable fact of motoring life. The newer the car, the more you lose, but in theory you get a more reliable machine and peace of mind of a warranty. Older cars don't really lose money, but the chance of paying for repairs is higher. As they say, pays your money,  take your choice.

With regard to unexpected bills, again, just a fact of car ownership. Tyres and brakes are cheap consumables compared to new car depreciation, and all cars wear them out. Much like servicing and wiper blades etc, what ever you drive they will need spending on. Exhausts, they can be expensive but very rarely need replacing.

If you are buying and older car and want reliability get a Japanese one, Toyota or Honda are bulletproof and so that means no surprise bills...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 12:03:51 PM »
The problem with a Japanese car is the price of spares (if they go wrong), eg Oxygen sensor £280 each for a Jazz , fortunately there are non-OEM sources.
The cheapest car I ever ran was a 1982 998cc base model Austin Metro, purchased S/H for £1850 I drove the Metro for 11 years and nearly 90,00 miles.
As a DIY mechanic I fixed every problem except for the worn out radius arm bearings on the rear wheels., (I did not have a Hydragas pump).
Some of the spares required such as oil seals and gaskets were priced in pence, the official factory manual, far far better than a Haynes manual,  was only £13 from the Dealer. 
Adding all the repair,  servicing and MOT bills  plus  depreciation divided by  mileage , the running cost was was under 3p per mile over 88,000 miles

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
The problem with a Japanese car is the price of spares (if they go wrong), eg Oxygen sensor £280 each for a Jazz , fortunately there are non-OEM sources.
The cheapest car I ever ran was a 1982 998cc base model Austin Metro, purchased S/H for £1850 I drove the Metro for 11 years and nearly 90,00 miles.
As a DIY mechanic I fixed every problem except for the worn out radius arm bearings on the rear wheels., (I did not have a Hydragas pump).
Some of the spares required such as oil seals and gaskets were priced in pence, the official factory manual, far far better than a Haynes manual,  was only £13 from the Dealer. 
Adding all the repair,  servicing and MOT bills  plus  depreciation divided by  mileage , the running cost was was under 3p per mile over 88,000 miles

My first Civic 1.5 VTECe covered over 190,000 in 9 years ( had it from new ) and never a spanner on engine or transmission ( except cambelt change and oil changes ) - new rear brake shoes at 120,000, new rear box on exhaust at about 150,000 - otherwise just tyres, front pads and discs, batteries,   never missed a beat or used any oil between changes.  Serviced myself ( Castrol oil )  never went near a dealer or garage  except for cambelt.   Traded in for a Jazz MK1 and missed the Civic but got used to the Jazz.  Never really had any unexpected expanses with any Honda I have had,   AirCon clutch solenoid failed on present Civic,  cost £55 on ebay for whole Sanden clutch - fitted myself ( cost me another £50 in circlip pliers and some push in fittings for front bumper that snapped during removal ).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:07:26 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 02:26:46 PM »
Just backing up what Culzean said above I have owned Hondas, not continuously, for a total of 14 years. Only my current car was bought new. I have had 2 repairs in all that time - a leak into the boot on a 2010 Mk 2 Jazz - £55 to repair at a local independent body shop and a drop link on my 2007 Civic (can't remember how much but not a sharp intake of breath amount).

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 03:45:29 PM »
So few people actually repair their cars on the drive or in the garage today, in my boyhood every road or street had several DIY mechanics, it was one of the ways men interacted  with their neighbours and struck up  local friendships.
It is a myth that modern cars cannot be repaired by the DIY mechanic, propagated in the main by people who  do not have the basic skills of dismantling and assembling, or logical deduction skills.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 04:40:54 PM »
So few people actually repair their cars on the drive or in the garage today, in my boyhood every road or street had several DIY mechanics, it was one of the ways men interacted  with their neighbours and struck up  local friendships.
It is a myth that modern cars cannot be repaired by the DIY mechanic, propagated in the main by people who  do not have the basic skills of dismantling and assembling, or logical deduction skills.

Quite.

BUT you need some (simple) knowledge of electrics and electronics- enough to use a multi meter and understand the rudiments of wiring.
And when EVs come along, some expensive gloves for working on High Voltage equipment.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 07:14:35 AM »
I thiink since the demise of points and grease nipples, very regular car tinkering has largely disappeared. These days 12k mile service schedules mean annual work rather than every few weeks out with the feeler guages and grease gun.

Years ago, if you didn't fettle your car, it wouldn't start. Now, it will carry on regardless. I think the modern motorist has just got used to the idea of sending it for a service with the MOT.

I prefer to do the work myself. I know it will get done. I have purchased more than one motor with full main dealer history and seen receipts for work charged for that has not been done. DIY is best. 

It has been great to read of the cheap Metro and Civic motoring.  :D

I ran my Mk1 Skoda Octavia for 12yrs and 130k. Annual depreciation worked out at £279, and it never missed a beat. Sold on at 160k miles with original clutch, gearbox, exhaust, rear brake shoes etc etc. just had regular servicing and a couple of cambelts along the way.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:21:53 AM by Westy36 »

Tags:

anything