Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693647 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2280 on: June 13, 2021, 09:21:03 AM »

.......  and when charging points get vandalised ( as they will because they are scattered around in small groups in multiple unsupervised places ) that electricity will be exposed... 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-44874476

https://flipboard.com/article/vandals-are-stuffing-meat-into-electric-vehicle-charging-stations/f-2ee53371e9%2Ffuturism.com

Creme eggs and raw mince ?  :o
Not the materials of choice for your common or garden vandal.
More likely some Luddite inebriated old farts with an aversion to electric cars and the effect they will have on the price of their BP or Aral shares.

There is often no rhyme or reason for vandalism,  when things get left unsupervised they get damaged - it is a fact of life.    Majority of the BT public phone boxes were out of order most of the time, it is just (some) human nature.  If people will nick copper cable from hospital standby generators they will nick anything.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:24:04 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2281 on: June 14, 2021, 07:29:47 AM »
If people will nick copper cable from hospital standby generators they will nick anything.

You may have inadvertently struck on a good analogy for the fossil fuels and metal extraction industries there.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:32:52 AM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2282 on: June 14, 2021, 09:29:02 AM »

If people will nick copper cable from hospital standby generators they will nick anything.

You may have inadvertently struck on a good analogy for the fossil fuels and metal extraction industries there.

???

That went right over my head and hit the wall behind  ::)

I suppose standby power for hospitals in future will be a battery in the carpark that will last a couple of hours, meanwhile the fans on sticks sit immobile because no wind.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2283 on: June 14, 2021, 10:20:12 AM »
I suppose standby power for hospitals in future will be a battery in the carpark that will last a couple of hours, meanwhile the fans on sticks sit immobile because no wind.

Surely the solution would be for hospitals to put in loads of EV charge points, that way they can suck the cars dry if there's a power failure?  :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2284 on: June 14, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »

Surely the solution would be for hospitals to put in loads of EV charge points, that way they can suck the cars dry if there's a power failure?  :o

Why didn't I think of that dohhhhh !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #2285 on: June 14, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

???

That went right over my head and hit the wall behind  ::)

Sorry.
Allow me to explain.
The vandals who are extracting fossil fuels and  metals for short term gain are endangering the planet.
The first to suffer will be the unfortunate people in less developed countries but eventually everybody will suffer.

Why not?
 I doubt that anyone who works in or visits a hospital would need more than a few kWh to get home or to a charging station and they could be financially compensated for the electricity used.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:08:01 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2286 on: June 14, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »

Why not?
 I doubt that anyone who works in or visits a hospital would need more than a few kWh to get home or to a charging station and they could be financially compensated for the electricity used.

How about if everyone had gone on the bus ( as the government is pushing ) and carpark was empty - or maybe during nightime.  Hospitals have enough to deal with - without wondering where their next amps and volts are coming from.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #2287 on: June 14, 2021, 01:53:10 PM »

How about if everyone had gone on the bus ( as the government is pushing ) and carpark was empty - or maybe during nightime.  Hospitals have enough to deal with - without wondering where their next amps and volts are coming from.
Don't know about  hospitals around your way but the hospital car park near me covers tens of acres and you always have to allow extra time to find a space.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2288 on: June 14, 2021, 02:15:28 PM »

Don't know about  hospitals around your way but the hospital car park near me covers tens of acres and you always have to allow extra time to find a space.

The English hospitals have either sold off any spare land for houses or built more 'hospital' on what used to be the carpark.  All the ones by us have ANPR cameras and nowhere near enough parking for the amount of services they have.  If any of our family ( or even our neigbours if we are feeling generous ) have to go for appointments someone normally drops them off and picks them - or a Taxi... ( or the bus - as per government wishes ).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:12:03 PM by culzean »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2289 on: June 14, 2021, 03:09:18 PM »
Allow me to explain.
The vandals who are extracting fossil fuels and  metals for short term gain are endangering the planet.
The first to suffer will be the unfortunate people in less developed countries but eventually everybody will suffer.
Diesel makes sense for standby generators with intermittent usage and biodiesel would be appropriate for these. It makes less sense for diesel engines running for many hours per day as the result is demand exceeding supply of recycled vegetable oils.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2290 on: June 19, 2021, 06:04:29 PM »
Reading an article where they are thinking about allowing full EVs to use bus lanes to help with the uptake among city drivers. Number plates would have to have the green flash to signify an EV (illegal to have a green flash on a non-EV).

Also, read a thought-provoking piece about the demise of filling stations on the BBC News site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57416829

As an aside, they are putting in a bus lane at the eastern end of the M8. As far as I am aware only one bus uses the M8 and despite driving it every day at present, I have yet to see one!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2291 on: June 19, 2021, 07:08:05 PM »
As soon as a certain number of EV are using bus lanes they will stop them from using bus lanes, they are offering all sorts of incentives, but they will all disappear once a critical mass of EV are using roads,  and running  costs will also rise steeply.. we have seen how governments behave ...

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #2292 on: June 19, 2021, 10:12:19 PM »
Came across this, on my Pensioner's Forum. There are a lot of people, still to be convinced......

David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2293 on: June 20, 2021, 07:55:15 AM »
It doesn't look to me like whoever produced that has thought about it. At least not very numerately.

The power consumption of a radio or windscreen wipers is trivial compared to driving. So that's not a real concern - though in the panic of that situation I'd imagine lots of people would think it worthwhile. Heating could be an issue, though it's pretty extreme to say there's virtually none in an electric vehicle. I think we're used to the gross inefficiency of internal combustion engines that mean there's so much waste heat it's easy to do lazy engineering. Lets say you've a low 20kWh and start half charged. In 3 hours you've still got kilowatts to play with. Which ought to be enough to keep a car warm. In the depths of last winter my modest 2 bed Edwardian terrace in Yorkshire took an average of 1.5 kW to stay comfortable. It is pretty well insulated though. I suppose there will be idiots who go out in those sort of conditions without even warm clothes.

It reminds me of the 70s when the family Austin Princess froze up and bust a hose. The only replacement we could get didn't have the branch off to the heater. So we drove the 5 hours or more from Kent to Liverpool in freezing conditions without. Not comfortable but we got by - under quilts - there were 6 of us which probably helped.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2294 on: June 20, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »
I would expect EVs to use heat pumps which are much more power-efficient than using simple resistance heating. I would expect no more than 200W (and probably nearer 100W) would be needed to keep the vehicle warm so that's a least 5 hours of heating per kWh of battery. Nonetheless, I would consider the bottom 20% in the battery to be a reserve for emergencies but it's also better for the battery longevity to not deplete it below 20%.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: