Author Topic: Low mileage insurance.  (Read 2290 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Low mileage insurance.
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:26:37 PM »
Insurance renewal time again.
Can anybody recommend an insurance company which gives favourable rates for low mileage.
I doubt if I've done 1000 miles this year.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
Re: Low mileage insurance.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »
I looked at this. I would shop around if you are a few weeks away from renewal for quotes. In my opinion they seem to be all happy to take your money regardless of the reduced usage and mileage during covid. That is still with us, despite the unmasked.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »
Yes. I'm just being lazy. I'm still about a month away. The first unsolicited quotes are just arriving.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 04:17:19 PM »
I can recommend LV based on my premiums.

I got cheesed off with Direct Line. I was with them for nearly 25 years, only claimed for a windscreen,  but I still suffered horrendous price creep each year, 30%, which resulted in having to negotiate annually.

LV, cheaper from the off and this years renewal was cheaper than last year.
Let's be careful out there !

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:43:15 PM »
I second what Kremmen said. LV was about £140 less than Admiral wanted last month on renewal. Even ringing them up Admiral wouldn’t budge. I lost faith in them when I replaced my 2006 with a 2018 EX. They upped the monthly premium about £20.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »
We had a similar request on another forum and I suggested LV

Here is the outcome :

Well that was all very easy, managed to get identical cover and cut the price from £937.29 (all but £100 increase on last year) to £376.89. A great saving of £560.40. Better in my pocket than theirs.

In fact slightly better cover, excess is £250, rather than £300.

Thanks for your suggestion of LV.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »
You will find out how good your insurers are only when you make a claim. Be careful out there.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 06:39:58 PM »
Another vote for LV...

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 07:00:54 PM »
I used to get motor insurance from Frizzel who became Liverpool Victoria who became LV. I had excellent service from the company.  :D
I moved house five years ago from Great Malvern to Leamington Spa. The premiums jumped up by about a hundred and fifty quid. I believe this is because we now have a CV, (Coventry) postcode despite being 8 miles away from that city. I assume Coventry is a hotspot of high insurance claims. I am no longer with LV.  :-[
Neil Ives

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 09:51:29 PM »
Back in the day, had a nearly new car written off by a car that hit me head on after not taking a bend . Was with Frizzel. Had a cheque for settlement within a week. LV not so good. A van rear ended me and should have been written off , was not. they sent  a firm out saying they were from LV.  Total lies as it turned out. Was a repairer. took the car away. The doors didn't shut well after a bad repair to the rear. I had the car inspected (paid for it) and they said the body was twisted. Went to different repairers for a second opinion to make a legal case, but they didn't want to look at it. They didn't want to upset their industry close nit arrangement with insurers that use them. Had to sell the car to the original repairers as a loan vehicle at a big loss. You never know, when you think your quote is cheap, that when the chips are down, you find out really what you have paid for.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 11:10:22 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.
Seems there's lots of satisfied LV customers out there. I was with them two years ago but their quote last year was a lot higher for no apparent reason so I changed to Churchill.
I did a quick internet search tonight for low mileage insurance and came up with a company offering basic insurance for about £150 + about 3p per mile but you have to fit a black box mileage counter to OBD.
I've yet to compare how their policy compares with my existing one once you add on excesses and extra cover etc. and I think I would always be thinking of the extra cost of doing extra miles.
Anybody got any experiences of policies like this.
https://www.bymiles.co.uk/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:40:07 AM by JimSh »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 12:33:49 AM »
The son of a customer of mine had an OBD plug-in black box insurance when he started driving. It made the battery go flat after a couple of weeks not being used. I checked the current drain at 65-75mA, way too high. After discussing the issue with the insurers, the customer was sent a replacement black box. I checked it and the current drain was about 10mA, which is tolerable.

I have one car with LV. Just changed car on that policy, put it on hold for 2 weeks while I sold the old one and sorted the new car, the admin fee was £15 which I thought very reasonable. I've always got through to a person very quickly on the phone, and very efficient service. I've not had to claim though.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 03:57:12 AM »
You're absolutely right about insurance companies and claims procedure.

I've heard horror stories about Hastings and a lot of comparison site cheapo's.

LV are high up on the Which? table alongside NFU but NFU don't cover all postcodes like mine.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 08:52:25 AM »
I've always got through to a person very quickly on the phone, and very efficient service. I've not had to claim though.
I had forgotten about the customer service. I was with LV when I wanted to put my daughter on to my policy for a short time. It was all sorted out very quickly and cheaply.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 08:59:29 AM »
£120pa for wife's Yaris D4d. 1000 miles pa.
Swinton

Tags: