Author Topic: CTEK Battery Chargers.  (Read 5625 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: CTEK Battery Chargers.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 09:15:00 AM »
The only minor niggle with the AA charger is remembering to press the circle button instead of the arrow button to start it. Seems odd as the arrow button is traditionally used to start devices. Other than that it’s a great little thing, usually use it on the missus’ Yaris as she only does short trips in it so I charge it every couple of weeks. It’s lasted over a year so far, so can’t complain at that price.

Yeah, the arrow button switches between 6 and 12 volt....   

The thing about the AA one is that it also ( like most modern chargers ) checks the polarity and if it does not like what is sees the red 'fault' led lights up ( does not damage the charger though ). Also you can unplug the mains supply ( or a power cut maybe ) and as long as the charger still connected to battery it remembers where it was in the charging cycle.  I did buy a brand new longer charging cable with SAE plugs on and could not get the AA charger to switch to charging mode, I checked the cable with resistance meter and looked OK,  in the end I had to spray some contact cleaner into the SAE plugs and a bit of very fine wet and dry emery paper rolled up to clean the pins,  worked fine after that - probably some silicon film left over from moulding process - but that was not the chargers fault. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 07:05:23 PM »
The battery charger arrived today but I was disappointed to find that the cable from the battery will be well short of the front grille. It is only about 450 mm long. I will have to fabricate one to do the job.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 08:06:40 PM »
The battery charger arrived today but I was disappointed to find that the cable from the battery will be well short of the front grille. It is only about 450 mm long. I will have to fabricate one to do the job.

IIRC I used the one supplied with AA charger on my motorbike.

This is the one I used on my wifes MK2,   https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009YJ0QF2/    only 50mm longer than the one supplied with AA kit and I routed lead from battery over the top of radiator ( next to rad filler cap ) and through grille ... I suspect the 450mm one may have been OK.  Is the battery nearer front grille on MK2 I wonder ?

Here is a pair of 600mm ( 2 foot ) leads - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Disconnect-Terminal-Motorbike-Tractors/dp/B096XBP47N/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:14:20 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 09:12:08 PM »
Even 2ft might be a bit short, by the time I route it around the engine.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:43:14 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 09:10:45 AM »
That page doesn't load for some reason. I have ordered bits up, including a 20A inline fuse, to protect the battery/prevent a fire in the event of the wiring getting damaged/front end collision.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
That page doesn't load for some reason. I have ordered bits up, including a 20A inline fuse, to protect the battery/prevent a fire in the event of the wiring getting damaged/front end collision.

I changed the fuse in all my direct to battery leads to 5 amp,  after all the charger is only 1.5 amps.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
I opted for the four amp charger but the 20 amp fuse was what the holder came with. I have a box of fuses so I will probably use a 10 amp.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 07:36:25 PM »
All my bits and pieces arrived today from the forest in South America. Unfortunately, the AA Charger is no longer fitted with SAE connectors so it won't connect to the other cables. Looks like a job for Professor Bodgeit.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:41:09 PM by Jocko »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »
That is terrible,  why have an industry standard SAE connector and then go away from standard - IIRC  CTEK had different plugs as well,  The Amazon site clearly shows the black SAE connectors on the AA charger though.   This looks like another electric car 'lets all have different plugs' scenario. 

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
That is terrible,  why have an industry standard SAE connector and then go away from standard - IIRC  CTEK had different plugs as well,  The Amazon site clearly shows the black SAE connectors on the AA charger though.   This looks like another electric car 'lets all have different plugs' scenario.
Yes, CTEK have their own, similar to SAE but not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »
A word of warning about the Ctek Mxs5 charger. A common fault was a sticky mode button which was easily fixed by opening it up by removing 4 screws, turning the innards over and spraying the button with a contact switch cleaner. Easy!
In their wisdom the newer version has no removable back and short of using a hammer and chisel there’s no access to the circuit board so no easy fix.
Why haven’t they heard of ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’
At least mine is stuck on the mode I want to use so still usable.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
Thanks. I opted for the AA charger instead of the CTEK.

guest4871

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »
A word of warning about the Ctek Mxs5 charger. A common fault was a sticky mode button which was easily fixed by opening it up by removing 4 screws, turning the innards over and spraying the button with a contact switch cleaner. Easy!
In their wisdom the newer version has no removable back and short of using a hammer and chisel there’s no access to the circuit board so no easy fix.
Why haven’t they heard of ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’
At least mine is stuck on the mode I want to use so still usable.

I wish I had known that  before >:(

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
I've never changed the mode on my CTEK MSX3.8 so no idea if that does the same.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything