Author Topic: Car washing and Jet wash ?  (Read 2226 times)

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
Re: Car washing and Jet wash ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 09:12:23 AM »
How to clean the dust on the dashboard

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
Damp cloth, don't try a pressure washer  :)
Let's be careful out there !

Gas Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None - considering a Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »
For purely dust, Personally I would use a microfibre cloth or microfibre “duster on a stick” for places out of reach - you can a telescopic one of these from Amazon for about £2.

If there is staining / deposits on the plastics I always try a damp cloth first.
If this doesn’t work a dedicated cleaner can be used like Autoglym Interior shampoo or vinyl and rubber care x there are many out there.

A word of caution: unless you want I shiny dashboard make sure you apply and buff off instantly any proprietary shampoos or treatments - hence I prefer to use water as my first attempt.

Going beyond your question a little, for accumulations of dust around switches, vents etc I would use a soft brush to get the dust out then use a microfibre cloth or vacuum, as necessary.

For crumbs and the like stuck in cup holders etc that won’t vacuum out you can get a sticky gel stuff that you mould like plasticine to “ grab” the debris.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »
I bought stuff for cleanings my keyboard. It is like 'Slime" and you roll it over the keys and the dust between them sticks to it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »
Painting 'tack cloths' ?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 03:58:13 PM »
For car cleaning only use a pressure washer that has a dedicated car wash setting. Otherwise the risk of damage is great.  I wouldn't risk it on my car.
The pressure depends on the type of nozzle on the lance, don’t use a ‘turbo’ nozzle only use one about 40 degrees and it’s easier if you use a foam cannon or prewash first.
All detailers use pressure washers without trouble.
I’ve never heard of a dedicated car wash setting. Which washers have this?
I bought a Karcher pressure washer to clean the drive and patio and it has a car wash setting although I have never used it to wash the car, too much bother.  I just use a hose, two buckets and a sponge, then then apply some wet wax as I dry it to maintain the shine. That's good enough for me.

guest9814

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 05:20:14 PM »
The clocks monitor and infotainment screen can be easy scratched !!!
Don't touch them with microfiber towels !!!
Take dust off from them using air if possible
I scratched my infotainment screen - tried clean dust from it.....

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
For car cleaning only use a pressure washer that has a dedicated car wash setting. Otherwise the risk of damage is great.  I wouldn't risk it on my car.
The pressure depends on the type of nozzle on the lance, don’t use a ‘turbo’ nozzle only use one about 40 degrees and it’s easier if you use a foam cannon or prewash first.
All detailers use pressure washers without trouble.
I’ve never heard of a dedicated car wash setting. Which washers have this?
I bought a Karcher pressure washer to clean the drive and patio and it has a car wash setting although I have never used it to wash the car, too much bother.  I just use a hose, two buckets and a sponge, then then apply some wet wax as I dry it to maintain the shine. That's good enough for me.

Yes - you can overthink this stuff. I think I've mentioned this before either on this forum or somewhere else but we have a friend with a 20 plus year old Mercedes CLK (I think - not seen it for some time but a two seater convertible). She washes it with Fairy Liquid twice a month and, once a year, polishes it with a cheapo polish from Halfords - it looks immaculate although I guess closer examination would show a few swirl marks.

I must have £250 plus worth of car care products in my shed - I'll never use this lot in the rest of my driving career. I think I've watched too many You Tube videos!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 05:13:33 AM »
I was told by a car detailer never to use Fairy or the like because it contains undisolved salt and that introduces very tiny scratches that cuts through the surface.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »
I was told by a car detailer never to use Fairy or the like because it contains undisolved salt and that introduces very tiny scratches that cuts through the surface.
I think it's more to do with removing wax.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 09:58:14 AM »

I have heard that dish soaps, generally, use salt as a thickener. The removing wax thing is interesting, several You Tubers have done tests on this using a test panel (usually an old bonnet) and they have found it takes quite a few hits for dish soap to remove protective coverings. It is harsher than most car shampoos because it is designed to dissolve grease off crockery and cutlery.

Tags:

anything