Author Topic: E10 petrol set for September 2021 launch  (Read 24135 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: E10 petrol set for September 2021 launch
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »
According to BP and Shell, E10 has been available outside the U.K. for some time. Any of our Continental friends had any experience of this fuel?

Here a Continental friend...
I dare to say that there will be little or no noticeable difference in consumption between E5 and E10. A difference of only 1 Beaufort wind force will probably have a more noticeable influence on consumption. Positive or negative, depending on tailwind or headwind...  ;)
If nothing goes right, go left!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2021, 07:47:35 AM »
One thing to be aware of is that E10 is more likely to separate in storage (or a fuel tank) than E5. This will particularly affect cars that don't get filled up that often. (eg. plug in hybrids.)

Do you have an authoritative source for this statement please? I’ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, which makes me think it’s one of those “It’s on the internet, so it must be true” statements that are actually just someone’s opinion rather than factually correct. Petrol does have a shelf life (eg see this: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/does-fuel-go-off-old-fuel-and-fuel-storage-questions-answered/) but there’s no mention of that being dependent on the ethanol content.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2021, 09:02:37 AM »
Search Petroclear. Phased separation occurs when the fuel gets contaminated with water. The Ethanol attaches to the water and separates out. Not something the UK motorist needs to worry about.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »
Water you are supposed to pour into the windshield washer reservoir and not the fuel tank? ;D

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
Search Petroclear.

Done that, but I'm really not sure of the relevance. Looks like a range of filters available for various commercial applications (eg to separate contaminants from fuel delivered at petrol pumps). That would seem like a good idea to ensure the quality of delivered fuel, but I still don't see anything to support the contention that E10 is worse than E5.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2021, 10:45:32 AM »
I filled up at a Tesco forecourt over a week ago and E10 has already arrived! The petrol nozzles being clearly marked E10 95 octane and E5 97 octane.
Interesting to see if you notice any difference in mpg or engine note.
I have done 200 miles on E10 and can't tell the difference. still get up to 40 round town and max 51 on a run. Performance identical.
Karoq 1.5 DSG with active cylinder control and turbo
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2021, 11:21:31 AM »
I filled up at a Tesco forecourt over a week ago and E10 has already arrived! The petrol nozzles being clearly marked E10 95 octane and E5 97 octane.
Interesting to see if you notice any difference in mpg or engine note.
I have done 200 miles on E10 and can't tell the difference. still get up to 40 round town and max 51 on a run. Performance identical.
Karoq 1.5 DSG with active cylinder control and turbo
Many garages still have either all E5 or a mix of E5 and E10 at the moment- they seem to just fill the tank, rather than flushing the whole system before filling 100% with E10.

Some have put the E10 stickers up, but not actually started selling the new fuel.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »
Interesting link - the sub link to the autocar article showed a reduction in fuel economy of 9% for E10 on one car!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »
I really can't believe those Autocar results. Unless you do consumption tests in a controlled manner you won't get reliable results, I come from 30yrs in engine development and you really do need to control conditions very accurately. The difference in calorific value, stoichiometric A/F ratio and density is of the order of one or two percent, and you need very carefully repeatable conditions to measure that sort of change. I don't know how they did it, but coming up with numbers like 10% makes me think it was some sort of back to back road drive.
In a modern car going from E5 to E10 really won't affect either the perceived performance nor the general fuel economy, unless you can spot a 1 or 2% change (most people only notice something like a 10% change in power, anything less and it really isn't very obvious in everyday driving). I've used E10 on the continent quite regularly, it's fine.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2021, 07:55:24 PM »
In my experience Autocar comment is b*ollox!
I am beginning to loose all confidence in these so called motoring experts after the moronic review by Autoexpress, comparing the Dacia with the Crosstar.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2021, 08:11:05 PM »
I am beginning to loose all confidence in these so called motoring experts after the moronic review by Autoexpress, comparing the Dacia with the Crosstar.

I recall Setright writing in Car magazine calling the Guild of Motoring Writers "the Guild of Motoring Rotters! "  in the 1960s. Not much has changed since then,

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2021, 09:30:02 PM »
I never trust the judgment of the "professional testers". That's why I always demand an extensive test drive in a potential candidate. Before we ordered our new Jazz, we had such a test drive in the new Renault Clio Hybrid, the Toyota Yaris Hybrid and the Jazz.
Initially the Yaris was our favorite (looks!), but after the test drives we decided to order the Jazz.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2021, 03:48:54 AM »
I had the Yaris on my shortlist but I did listen to the magazine reporters who said the Yaris 3 pot 1.5 was raucous compared to the Jazz 1.5
Let's be careful out there !

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »

I agree absolutely.. :-X

Tags: