Author Topic: E10 petrol set for September 2021 launch  (Read 23958 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: E10 petrol set for September 2021 launch
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »
i just thought that by 2018 when my car was made they would have thought about it and made it so it can use higher than E10

it seems all car manufacturers in the uk that E10 is the maximum so i hope E20 stays away 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
I'd wish more flexfuel cars to come into European markets. In Finland E85 fuel is the only way to avoid funding Russian and Middle East governments when filling the tank. Ethanol is mostly domestic product here. I know it's different in UK, as you use also North Sea oil.

Isn't Finland close to Norway,  are you guys not speaking to each other ? - Norway has plenty of oil and gas, you don't need to swell Russian oligarchs pockets.

It seems just plain wrong to me to use land that could either be left in its natural state or used for growing food to be used for making fuel.  Many South American and Asian countries chopped down rainforest to use the land to grow sugar cane to make ethanol ( maize is normally used is USA ).  Same with Bio-Diesel,  the EU legislation on bio diesel encouraged third world countries to devastate rain forests ( which are normally on very poor soil anyway ) to grow palm oil to add to Diesel in Europe. Due to fact rainforest soil is so poor,  after the first crop the rain washes the soil away, so they have to devastate some more rainforest for another years crop.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:48:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 06:57:35 PM »
I'd wish more flexfuel cars to come into European markets. In Finland E85 fuel is the only way to avoid funding Russian and Middle East governments when filling the tank. Ethanol is mostly domestic product here. I know it's different in UK, as you use also North Sea oil.

Isn't Finland close to Norway,  are you guys not speaking to each other ? - Norway has plenty of oil and gas, you don't need to swell Russian oligarchs pockets.
:D Yes we do speak, and we buy lots of electricity from Norway. But maybe they sell their oil to somewhere else. There are business connections between Finnish major oil refinery Neste and Russian companies, so they probably get the oil cheaper from Russia or maybe buying oil is required to do other business there. And amazingly majority doesn't see it as bad as I do to buy stuff from Russia. Same with China, although no oil is coming from there.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 08:40:43 PM »
Norway sends loads of its oil to the UK.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »
E10 fuel is to be introduced to the UK this September. Most cars made since 2011 will be compatible and, indeed, many cars made before that date.

It's said that this is an environmental measure. It is also claimed that it might result in a 1% drop in mpg which seems slightly counter productive.

I have reservations about using food to make fuel but my other concern is, as a low mileage driver, the fuel having a greater tendency to absorb water.

Am I overthinking this issue?

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
It’s already here. Local Sainsbury’s is E10 and has been for a few weeks. Esso services on M6 in Cumbria E10. Local BP garage E10

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 11:56:55 AM »
It’s already here. Local Sainsbury’s is E10 and has been for a few weeks. Esso services on M6 in Cumbria E10. Local BP garage E10
But is E5 still available?  Come September E10 will replace E5 as far as I am aware.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 01:10:28 PM »
E10 fuel is to be introduced to the UK this September. Most cars made since 2011 will be compatible and, indeed, many cars made before that date.

It's said that this is an environmental measure. It is also claimed that it might result in a 1% drop in mpg which seems slightly counter productive.

I have reservations about using food to make fuel but my other concern is, as a low mileage driver, the fuel having a greater tendency to absorb water.

Am I overthinking this issue?

https://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php

Another environmental box ticked, thousands of square miles of rainforest destroyed to grow stuff to add to fuel to reduce its energy content and reduce MPG.  How this can be justified when the world is short of food I will never know.   Lots of older motorbikes and cars cannot use this stuff without modifying fuel system.

I use this over winter in bikes,  keep the tank full to reduce airgap and glug some of this in, just another expense.

http://sta-bil.co.uk/product/sta-bil-storage-fuel-stabilizer/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 07:45:00 PM »
But is E5 still available?  Come September E10 will replace E5 as far as I am aware.
Unless anyone is running an old vehicle, then don't worry about it.
The E5 "protection grade" will be available for the forseeable future, albeit probably marketed as a "super" and costing more. Use that if you are concerned.
This is a good sensible summary of the situation. https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

The politics of such issues is always questionable, but don't lose sleep. There are far more important things to worry about.
If you are concerned about fuel consumption, walk more and drive more slowly. You won't notice 1% change in fuel economy or power. "Modern" cars will be fine, certainly anything* made this century.

* - someone will probably give an example of a car which isn't suitable.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2021, 07:53:27 PM »
[/quote]
Super unleaded will remain E5 for those cars that cannot use E10.  E10 will be 95 octane.  Once I have used a few tank fulls of E10 I may try super unleaded to see if I can detect a difference.  Some pumps are now showing the E10 labelling but that is just in preparation for deliveries starting in September.  E10 and E5  denotes the maximum amount of bio fuel that the petrol may contain, it doesn't necessarily mean that is the percentage it has in it.  For instance, Esso super unleaded is marked as E5 to comply with the regulations but in most parts of the country it doesn't contain any bio fuel at all (according to Esso website).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:22:45 PM by Pine »

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 09:00:57 AM »
Hello there,
Seen this picture at a Tesco petrol station and how would this new E10 patrol would affect the performance or our budget against Honda Jazz's please?
Please see two pictures attached.  Tia!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2021, 09:25:10 AM »
Ethanol contains less energy than petrol, so slightly lower output / less MPG from engine.  When left standing Ethanol and petrol go through a phase separation   https://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/02/phase-separation-in-ethanol-blended.html

Even with E5 i use Sta-bil fuel stabiliser in our lawn mower, hedge trimmer and motorbikes over winter and keep tanks full ( IIRC steel tanks tend to corrode along the level of the fuel in tank, where the air meets the fuel.   Cannot use ethanol in glass fibre fuel tanks as it attacks the resin, also attacks the rubber seals and brass bits used in older vehicle fuel system.  Your MK1 Jazz will be fine.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 06:16:17 AM »
Just topped up at Tesco

The pump label said "E10 95 Octane"

So the posts I've read saying that E10 is 92 Octane are wrong ?
Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 07:42:44 AM »
Another environmental box ticked, thousands of square miles of rainforest destroyed to grow stuff to add to fuel to reduce its energy content and reduce MPG.  How this can be justified when the world is short of food I will never know.   Lots of older motorbikes and cars cannot use this stuff without modifying fuel system.

In Finland and Sweden big part of the ethanol used in fuel is made from waste or utilizing by-products from different industrial processes. I am sure there is enough waste in UK too, if there is will, to produce bioethanol domestically and without reducing food production resources.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 08:52:22 AM »
Just topped up at Tesco

The pump label said "E10 95 Octane"

So the posts I've read saying that E10 is 92 Octane are wrong ?

Ethanol is an octane enhancer,  low octane fuel actually has more energy content than high octane because the whole idea of octane improvers is to be hard to ignite / burn and slow down the burn rate and stop knocking, pinking ( when the petrol air fuel charge ignites due to pressure and heat, like a diesel ).  Higher octane fuels enable higher compression ratios which enable spark timing to be optimised fuel and to be burned more efficiently. 

Tags:

anything