Author Topic: Anti-seize compound  (Read 1256 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Anti-seize compound
« on: July 04, 2023, 04:41:17 PM »
Plug change time soon. The Honda manual states "Apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the plug threads". Not something I've done before. Would a wee dab of copperslip do the job?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: Anti-seize compound
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 04:59:36 PM »
not really necessary with modern plugs.

you can use CS if you want to.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »
As said, the advice these days from most decent plug manufacturers is that it is not necessary ....... however despite 40yrs in the auto industry I do still apply some thread lube.
It is generally not really advisable to use copper based products in alloy heads, too many dissimilar metals going on together can lead to electrolytic action. Steel/brass/iron/copper work fine together, add alum and it becomes a battery.
Much better to use aluminium based anti-seize if you can, I use a Loctite product but others are available.
Having said that, the effect is usually minimal if the application is essentially dry (like spark plugs) so in practice usually OK.
Just use very sparingly and if using a torque wrench reduce the torque values by at least 20%, figures are usually given for dry threads. I prefer to tighten plugs by feel, even though as an engineer I usually emphasise the importance of using correct torques. You can usually feel when new crush washers bottom out, then they are tight.
I just treated one of my bikes to new plugs. Having checked the records I realised they had been in there since 2003, that's just 20yrs and 40k miles. They have been out during that time, but only 2 or 3 times I think (PITA to get to, so only usually when checking valve clearances). I used alum paste on the threads and they came out easily.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 05:09:33 PM »
Quote from NGK's website:

1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 05:58:40 PM »
What a fantastic forum this is. Thank you so much for all your very detailed and well researched replies.  8)

I plan to put NGK in, so I'll put them in dry. Can't believe the cost of them mind, c£20ea! I remember plugs being a couple of quid each for my Mk1 Ford Fiesta. How times have changed.

I've always replaced plugs on my cars, and never once used any anti sieze. Not had a problem, but reading the manual put the seed of doubt in my mind.

Torque wise, I've always just used common sence. However, I've not replaced plugs in a car in a long time, so for the sake of certainty, I plan to borrow a decent torque wrench for the job.

I read several other threads on the forum about plug change, and most reported a noticable improvement in performance. Be interested to see if that happens.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 06:30:30 PM »
The genuine NGK plugs are great,the knock off copies not worth a light. Plenty of advice on how to spot copies on their website.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 08:17:13 PM »
Have to say when the time comes to change my plugs, I will be replacing the coils as a preventative at the same time.  They are such a pain to access that I don't want to be doing it twice...

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 09:04:28 PM »
Have to say when the time comes to change my plugs, I will be replacing the coils as a preventative at the same time.  They are such a pain to access that I don't want to be doing it twice...
I wouldn't do that. Coils are not a service part. If one fails, it'll get replaced, but not as a precaution. Not an expense I want to be honest. Not heard of coil replacement as preventative maintainence. Anyone else done that?

The genuine NGK plugs are great,the knock off copies not worth a light. Plenty of advice on how to spot copies on their website.
Good advice. I'll check that out for sure. I've got NGK down to <£60 for four on Ebay with a known long standing seller.

That said, I've found some Denso plugs for just under £10ea. The Green Spark Plug co have an ebay store....very tempted to go Denso at that price.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 01:19:14 PM »
I replaced 9 year old NGK plugs in Jazz : they were original, never been touched. Came out easily. Did not lubricate Bosch replacements (£8)

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 01:29:45 PM »
I replaced 9 year old NGK plugs in Jazz : they were original, never been touched. Came out easily. Did not lubricate Bosch replacements (£8)
Thanks.

How do you find the Bosch plugs?

I've used Bosch in the past. Ford Focus 1.8, Octavia VRS 2.0 Turbo etc. They all seemed happy on Bosch plugs.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 04:10:21 PM »
No noticeable change in mpg (Fuelly) nor performance in past 18 months.
Worth the saving in cost.

Tags:

anything