Author Topic: Engine resonance/noise under load........  (Read 4223 times)

guest5061

Engine resonance/noise under load........
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
Hi,
I've just upgraded my 2002 Mk1 Jazz to a 2009 Mk2 EX model which I'm generally very happy with.
Just wondered whether the noise I'm hearing from the engine is normal/characteristic so would be grateful for any advice.
When accelerating moderately (engine under light to medium load) whilst already moving I hear a noise around 1900rpm in 2nd, 3rd and 4th which last until around 2300 rpm and then disappears (only lasts a few seconds but annoying nonetheless). Please note that I'm not overloading the engine in too high a gear.
I wondered whether it might be a slightly loose heat shield or similar in the engine bay, or maybe a slight leak from exhaust manifold? Maybe it's just a characteristic that I'll have to get used to.
Thanks very much for your thoughts.

guest5544

• Topic Starter
Re: Engine resonance/noise under load........
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
I have a very similar problem.  It seems to be coming from the front passenger side (left side in a rt hand drive car).  Do you ever get to the bottom of where this rattle was coming from?

guest5061

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
Hi,
I had my nearest Honda dealer have a look & test run. Their diagnosis was 'probably clutch/springs/release bearing or gearbox input shaft bearing'. My cousin runs an independent garage and also took it for a spin (20ish years Ford main dealer technician experience) he confirmed it was the clutch springs. Probably caused by mainly driving in town/heavy traffic & first owner (42500 ish miles) being heavy on the clutch apparently. He's going to replace the clutch in the next few weeks for around £400 (versus £650 for Honda). Keeping my fingers crossed this is what it is & will update the post when new clutch has been fitted. Love the car otherwise, particularly after fitting a K&N air filter which makes it feel more responsive.

guest5715

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
Hi

I have an 09 Ex and it makes that noise, same rev range. It doesn't tend to appear til the engine is warmed up a bit. Local dealer said not common but Def a broken clutch spring. I decided not to fix and it hasn't got worse in the 2 years it's been doing it.

Danno

guest5061

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
Mine's definitely got worse/louder and it's really annoying me now!
Roll on new clutch being fitted next week.

guest5715

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »
Let us know how you get on, good luck.

guest5061

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
So, new clutch fitted and problem solved. Had a look at the old clutch and springs weren't broken (clutch plate still had plenty of wear left too - 45100 miles - and so it should). Genuine Honda replacement clutch £348 fitted! (family member runs an independent garage & good value).

Tags:

anything