Author Topic: Brexit and the scare mongers  (Read 24872 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Brexit and the scare mongers
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
I watch "Daily Politics" most weekdays, and I am yet to see a politician who can answer a question. If you asked a politician if it gets dark at night the best answer you would get would be something along the lines of, "Well as you know the policy of our party is to support reduced light between certain hours........................!" There is not one of them prepared to state their opinion on anything.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »
That's very true.
Perhaps it doesn't show up so well in the written word but it was the hesitancy before he came away away with the party lines. The evasion of evasion.
Sometimes I feel that Hammond isn't as polished in the art of evasion as most of the others.
Anyway I can't evade going to the dentist this morning.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
I watch "Daily Politics" most weekdays, and I am yet to see a politician who can answer a question. If you asked a politician if it gets dark at night the best answer you would get would be something along the lines of, "Well as you know the policy of our party is to support reduced light between certain hours........................!" There is not one of them prepared to state their opinion on anything.

Daily Politics definitely gone downhill since Jo Coburn took over, Andrew Neil was just so much better at pointing out to politicians that they weren't answering the question and many, many times made them look more than a bit silly.

Many politicians of all colours have mastered the art of obfuscation to 1. deny their opponent  time to reply,  2, eat up the time available on the show and limit the questions they can be asked. 

There are so many more people that can be upset these days that I am not surprised that politicians are loathe to state their feelings - look what happened to Tim Farron who got tied into knots over his pro-Christian fundamentalist views.   

Funny thing is that Farron stood on a anti-Brexit ticket in 2017 election and their party was pretty much wiped out,  the vast majority of voters voted for parties who supported Brexit.  Another point is that it referendum had been decided on normal parliamentary constituency votes the result would have been over 400 seats out of 654 voted leave.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2018, 08:32:07 AM »
https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/03/11/taoiseach-announces-extension-of-consulate-in-texas-to-boost-lin/

Republic of Ireland preparing the ground for when they leave EU -  recent polls in Republic show growing support for ROIexit (but not discussed in their media) - maybe they will hold a referendum soon,  as their options for doing deals with USA are severely limited by their membership of EUSSR.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:39:12 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:50 AM »
Anyone remember the much hyped 'millennium bug' that was going to bring countries to their knees and cause widespread mayhem,  with planes crashing out of the skies ?  Well not much really happened - any parallels with Brexit I wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30576670

https://www.economist.com/node/327829
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:59:04 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
Daily Politics definitely gone downhill since Jo Coburn took over, Andrew Neil was just so much better at pointing out to politicians that they weren't answering the question and many, many times made them look more than a bit silly.
Jo is not quite so forceful as Andrew, but she still makes them squirm.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »

Why did Peugeot /Citroen buy Vauxhall? I suspect it is to ensure a facility in the UK to protect their interests after Brexit.

They are already building Vauxhall (and Opel) branded vehicles in Peugeot factories in France.

PSA group signed a deal with GM six years ago to co develop new crossovers like the 3008/Grandland long before brexit. GM even had a small stake in PSA. Vauxhall/Opel are strong in markets where PSA are not and visa versa.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
You must have seen signs saying "erected with EU funding"

What I can't understand is why Hull then voted overwhelmingly to leave.

Maybe the signs should read  'erected with a fraction of the money that we have paid into the EU, the fraction that they have seen fit to spend in the UK'  those signs are nothing more than EU propaganda for the gullible.  Most of the money the EU takes in is spent in enlarging the Federal Empire as bribes for joining - a cynical land grab policy.   

The EU is like a Sundew insect trap,  it offers nectar to unsuspecting insects and once they take it they are trapped and get slowly dissolved by the plants juices,  their struggles are futile as they are absorbed into the body of the plant to fuel its growth.

The EU has fires springing up all over,  but they have locked all the fire exits,  we may be able to get out before it is consumed though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:19:35 PM by culzean »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
Vauxhall/Opel are strong in markets where PSA are not and visa versa.

I think that hits the nail on the head, Vauxhall/Opel are a pretty good fit for PSA.

There is also the Opel/Renault large van JV which has existed for many years too, and with the likelihood that Renault/Nissan could be dumped out, PSA may well centre their large van production in Luton.

I get the distinct feeling that we will end up in a place not too far away from the EU single market. Some people are not going to be happy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:16:14 PM by sparky Paul »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2018, 02:15:27 PM »
Anyone remember the much hyped 'millennium bug' that was going to bring countries to their knees and cause widespread mayhem,  with planes crashing out of the skies ?  Well not much really happened - any parallels with Brexit I wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30576670

https://www.economist.com/node/327829

As one of those who worked in the IT industry back then and was a part of this effort, I would say that one of the key parallels with Brexit will be that people will use the fear, uncertainty and doubt around Brexit to achieve their own plans. Plans which hacve nothing to do with Brexit but are enabled by all the money and the confusion.

You would not believe how many personal or vanity projects got done under the umbrella of being part of a so called Year 2000 programme.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
As one of those who worked in the IT industry back then and was a part of this effort, I would say that one of the key parallels with Brexit will be that people will use the fear, uncertainty and doubt around Brexit to achieve their own plans. Plans which hacve nothing to do with Brexit but are enabled by all the money and the confusion.

I agree, I saw that working at factory level for a large multinational. Every system and process had to be assessed, the job was so complex that anything could be buried in the midst of it all.

You would not believe how many personal or vanity projects got done under the umbrella of being part of a so called Year 2000 programme.

...and many pockets lined, and subsequent back-slapping when nothing bad actually happened.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »

Maybe the signs should read  'erected with a fraction of the money that we have paid into the EU, the fraction that they have seen fit to spend in the UK'  those signs are nothing more than EU propaganda for the gullible.  Most of the money the EU takes in is spent in enlarging the Federal Empire as bribes for joining - a cynical land grab policy.   

The EU is like a Sundew insect trap,  it offers nectar to unsuspecting insects and once they take it they are trapped and get slowly dissolved by the plants juices,  their struggles are futile as they are absorbed into the body of the plant to fuel its growth.

The EU has fires springing up all over,  but they have locked all the fire exits,  we may be able to get out before it is consumed though.

That seems a bit harsh is it not?

I think the purpose of the EU is to promote co-operation between neighbouring nations allowing them to live in peace and harmony.
I could list many advantages of remaining in the EU but could not do it nearly as well as by letting you read the goals of the EU.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/eu-in-brief_en

Please feel free to tell me of any of these to which you object.
 (the sections referring to the Euro obviously do not apply)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:27:39 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »

That seems a bit harsh is it not?

I think the purpose of the EU is to promote co-operation between neighbouring nations allowing them to live in peace and harmony.
I could list many advantages of remaining in the EU but could not do it nearly as well as by letting you read the goals of the EU.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/eu-in-brief_en

Please feel free to tell me of any of these to which you object.
 (the sections referring to the Euro obviously do not apply)

The most obvious thing that made people live in peace and harmony since 1945 is the atom bomb and NATO,  nothing at all to do with the EU.   But having said that,  Germany has used the EU to achieve what it did not in two world wars, control of Europe and a ready (captive) market for its products.   Reading the glossy brochure of the EU tells people nothing about its real aims,  which is a total political and fiscal union - a Federal Superstate.   I could sort of understand the common market (which was not a bad idea and is what we originally joined) - but our beloved leaders did not deem it necessary to show us the small print,  which was ever tighter political and economic unity and centralised control.  If USA makes good its promise on 'normalising' tariffs between them and the EU,  its gonna be fun.  The EU has long put up barriers to countries wanting to export into it,  they contribute little to NATO and are a customs cartel ( Jeremy Corbyn said their tariffs are a barrier to poorer and developing countries, and even USA by the look of it).

Anyway,  talking of keeping the peace, have a look at Bosnia - the EU stood by while the fire raged and in the end it fell to USA and UK to sort it out - the EU could not even sort out a small scuffle on its border,   Russia must look at 'paper tiger'  Europe with contempt,  and who can blame them.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/german-military-short-tanks-combat-aircraft-nato-mission/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:44:17 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2018, 06:11:55 AM »
It appears that German industry is starting to sweat regards a customs union after Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43389878

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »
It appears that German industry is starting to sweat regards a customs union after Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43389878

Looks like they need our export market as well as our military - It will be business leaders that find a good trade deal not those block-headed indoctrinated federalist negotiators.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:49:53 AM by culzean »

Tags: