Author Topic: New Crosstar's bad smell  (Read 61001 times)

His_name_is_robertpaulson

• Approved Member
  • Area left blank intentionally. Like the user.
Re: New Crosstar's bad smell
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 10:54:34 PM »
FWIW sounds like the interior waterproof application. Had something similar with leather interior. Applied Autoglym protection, which had separated in the bottle, and when it dried smelt pretty bad of chemicals. Autoglym replaced the bottle FOC. I bought some new car mats in October and they smelt pretty bad for a few days. Maybe the interior cabin filter needs changing?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:12:17 PM by His_name_is_robertpaulson »

Teatime

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 12:23:58 AM »
Thanks - such helpful insights and suggestions here. I drove to another Honda dealership this afternoon and they let me smell various new and demo interiors. The person who helped me had a sniff in my car and wondered if it was a coolant leak smell. Certainly their new cars didn't have that smell, but that might be because they didn't have waterproofed upholstery. I do have an acute sense of smell and am slightly sensitive to certain chemicals. I'll try some options put forward here for removing/masking the odour. A last resort would be trading it in for a new/used alternative. I'd always check out the interior before handing over cash in future.  Thanks again, I'm really grateful to everyone who's taken the time to comment.

Teatime

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 12:28:49 AM »
FWIW sounds like the interior waterproof application. Had something similar with leather interior. Applied Autoglym protection, which had separated in the bottle, and when it dried smelt pretty bad of chemicals. Autoglym replaced the bottle FOC. I bought some new car mats in October and they smelt pretty bad for a few days. Maybe the interior cabin filter needs changing?

The dealership showed me the filters were clean, with no smell. I think the waterproofing chemicals may be the cause.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2024, 07:19:40 AM »
It’s not clear whether you’re the only person who can detect this. If it is, then you having a sensitive nose might be a significant factor. But you said your original dealer arranged two valet cleanings, and the second one suggested a fluid leak, so that suggests they could smell it as well: if so, it’s not you, there is something wrong. You shouldn’t have to put up with something that’s “musty and stomach turning” and seems to make it unpleasant to use the car, that’s not what you paid for. If you’re contemplating rejection, your case would be strengthened by getting an independent report to confirm the odour exists and is sufficiently unpleasant as to make it difficult for you to use the car.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2024, 02:00:53 PM »
It’s not clear whether you’re the only person who can detect this. If it is, then you having a sensitive nose might be a significant factor. But you said your original dealer arranged two valet cleanings, and the second one suggested a fluid leak, so that suggests they could smell it as well: if so, it’s not you, there is something wrong. You shouldn’t have to put up with something that’s “musty and stomach turning” and seems to make it unpleasant to use the car, that’s not what you paid for. If you’re contemplating rejection, your case would be strengthened by getting an independent report to confirm the odour exists and is sufficiently unpleasant as to make it difficult for you to use the car.

I agree entirely. I have a Crosstar with waterproof upholstery and it has never smelled unpleasant, whether new or as it is now, and I do have a sensitive sense of smell. There is something wrong with your car and the Dealer should sort it.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2024, 03:26:52 PM »
Did anyone check the exhaust system?
Friends of mine in student days had a trick of wiring a kipper to the middle exhaust pipe of cars.  The smell of gradually burning and decomposing kipper over the next few months was appalling..  And finding it - if you did not know - was near impossible.

A visual inspection of the outside of the system might show something lodged on it..

His_name_is_robertpaulson

• Approved Member
  • Area left blank intentionally. Like the user.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2024, 08:25:32 PM »
Another thing you can try is buy a 500g of soda crystals, or something similar, usually a few quid from the pound store and sprinkle liberally over the seats and mats and leave over night and hover the next day. It SHOULD pull most of the smell out of the fabric. It won't affect the fabric protection

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2024, 11:22:00 PM »
Friends of mine in student days had a trick of wiring a kipper to the middle exhaust pipe of cars.  The smell of gradually burning and decomposing kipper over the next few months was appalling..

Aha... so that's how you got your nickname... ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Teatime

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 08:49:42 AM »

It's just me driving it, but others do smell it, I've asked a few people. Musty and stomach turning were others' descriptions. I did purport to reject and return it 10 days ago and the dealer refused the return, it got pretty heated.  The dealer sat me in another of their new Hondas and it had a similar smell profile, which reassured me that it could be coming off the upholstery rather than due to a mechanical issue.  The dealer shifted from initially acknowledging the issue and valeting, checking door seals, filters, taking us for a test drive to check the AC, to becoming adamant it's "new car smell" and refusing any further engagement. We had quite a stand off. That's why I know it would take legal action to get a return. I should have asked this highly knowledgeable forum's advice sooner! Now the 30 days are up.
It's definitely not a kipper - thanks for the  ;D
Reading up on what coolant smells like , it's not that I don't think. it's most noticeable when you first open the door/boot and does then ventilate away during the drive. I'll try ventilating , soda crystals and febreze type sprays, to see if that helps tone it down.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:00 AM »
Sounds as if you’re coming round to continuing with the car and hoping it’ll get better.

However, just in case you’re sufficiently motivated to take this further, this is a handy guide to your rights:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights-aAnMC5b0ZzJb

For example, within the 30 days you have a RIGHT to reject for a full refund: the dealer can’t simply say they’re not going to play, that would not be legal. But you do need to prove there’s a fault (the dealer’s original acknowledgement of an issue and subsequent actions would be a point in your favour) but, if he disagrees, that’s where you need to get the independent report to back you up.

After the 30 days you still have rights; you lose the right to reject but can still require the dealer to repair or replace, and if he can’t or won’t then you should ask for a refund (he’s entitled to deduct depreciation). Again having the independent report would be essential.

ADCO

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk.4 SR
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2024, 04:46:59 PM »
Just in case of confusion it's baking soda  and not washing soda that should help with smelly items.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 08:49:22 PM »
Sorry to hear of this. Takes the shine off of your new car experience.

The trade rely on odor bombs to get rid of nasty smells such as wet dogs or tobacco etc. I'm surprised the dealer hasn't offered you one already. Have a look at the link, loads similar on Amazon ebay etc...

HTH

https://a1detailing.co.uk/dakota-odor-bomb/?attribute_pa_fragrances=wild-cherry-2&utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Google%20Merchant%20Centre&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=5855&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0IHarPPOhAMV2pRQBh0h5wAMEAQYAyABEgKHkfD_BwE

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 10:50:37 PM »
Just in case of confusion it's baking soda  and not washing soda that should help with smelly items.

And not to get confused with your Username.

As (most) on here, of advanced years, (as I am), will recognise a non bio washing powder called ACDO.

It’s still sold today apparently.

Teatime

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2024, 07:30:48 PM »
Sounds as if you’re coming round to continuing with the car and hoping it’ll get better.

However, just in case you’re sufficiently motivated to take this further, this is a handy guide to your rights:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights-aAnMC5b0ZzJb

For example, within the 30 days you have a RIGHT to reject for a full refund: the dealer can’t simply say they’re not going to play, that would not be legal. But you do need to prove there’s a fault (the dealer’s original acknowledgement of an issue and subsequent actions would be a point in your favour) but, if he disagrees, that’s where you need to get the independent report to back you up.

After the 30 days you still have rights; you lose the right to reject but can still require the dealer to repair or replace, and if he can’t or won’t then you should ask for a refund (he’s entitled to deduct depreciation). Again having the independent report would be essential.

Thanks Colin B, returning it has proved challenging because there's nothing to see, it's not measurable, and the dealer claimed in the end not to smell anything untoward. I'm trying a few of the suggestions made in this thread to reduce the smell, and I'm also talking to a more helpful dealer about a trade-in and (literally!) a fresh start. I'd rather pay out for a resolution than spend money instructing experts and lawyers for an uncertain outcome. I hadn't bought a new car since 2006, so I'm learning as I go along.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2024, 08:29:16 PM »
Wow...what a terrible experience with a new car.  I have a Crosstar from 2021 and a sensitive nose, and its never given me any problems at all in the odour department.  Very strange situation.  Hope you get things sorted out  :(

Tags:

anything