Author Topic: Fiat 500 Wins European Car of the Year 2008 Award  (Read 2937 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Fiat 500 Wins European Car of the Year 2008 Award
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Fiat 500 Wins European Car of the Year 2008 AwardFiat's new 500 has been voted European Car of the Year 2008 (CotY) Well, did you expect any different? Don't tell me you're surprised?

Bagging the Fiat brand it's ninth CotY gong (and the Fiat Group's 12th win), the Panda-based recreation of the iconic Nuova 500 is, "a car of classless appeal in the Fiat tradition. ". Finishing 60 points ahead of the Mazda2, the baby Fiat collected 385 points. Other cars to feature include the Kia C'eed, Ford Mondeo and Peugeot 308.

Traditionally hostile towards expensive cars, the CotY award is well-known for favoritism. This explains such frankly bizarre choices like the Peugeot 307 (2002) getting the nod often over more talented opposition (i.e., the MINI). The voting works by each member (from various European motoring publication) distributing 25 points to each model on the shortlist. British 'voters' include Steve Cropley and Paul Horrell.

I'm glad to see Fiat continuing to return to form after the impressive Panda and Grande Punto. After the Fiat, I would have been happy to see either the Mazda2 or Kia win the award; the others on the shortlist are not much worth shouting about.

Honda have never won the European CotY award, but the Jazz came 4th in 2003 behind the Citroen C3 (eh?), Mazda6 and Renault Megane.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:00:13 PM by RichardA »

guest221

Re: [BLOG]: Fiat 500 Wins European Car of the Year 2008 Award
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:43:11 PM »
Had a good tyre-kick around one at the local FIAT stealer, not bad little car, can see a few estate agents called Emma and web designers in trendy specs buying one. Very small though.

guest436

Re: [BLOG]: Fiat 500 Wins European Car of the Year 2008 Award
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »
Quote from: "i-dsi"
Had a good tyre-kick around one at the local FIAT stealer, not bad little car, can see a few estate agents called Emma and web designers in trendy specs buying one. Very small though.

web designer yes but trendy specs no! Ok, I'll forgive you....

I wont consider buying the 500, its too small and poor value next the Panda 100HP.

Tags:

anything