Author Topic: Honda Vezel urban SUV revealed  (Read 17201 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Vezel urban SUV revealed
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

Honda has revealed its Jazz based mini-SUV at the Tokyo Motorshow that is scheduled for European release in 2015.

The Vezel is the production version of its Urban SUV concept and is set to take on the Nissan Juke, Vauxhall Mokka and the upcoming Ford EcoSport.  It uses the same platform as next year's third generation Jazz, but with production of the next Jazz moving abroad, the Vezel is highly unlikely to be manufactured at Swindon. US production is set to take place at Honda’s new assembly plant in Celaya, Mexico alongside the upcoming new Jazz (or Fit as it is named in the US.).

The styling clearly shows cues from the latest Civic and it's probably fair to say it won't be as practical as the Jazz judging by that roofline. But in a growing segment and less polarising styling than the Nissan Juke, we hope the Vezel will be a success and crucially will attract younger buyers.

Honda have not confirmed the engine choice or if the Vezel name will be used. It is likely that a seven speed dual clutch gearbox will be offered alongside the standard manual. In Japan, both hybrid and petrol-only models are offered based around a direct injection 1.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine. The hybrid is tagged as Sport Hybrid i-DCD and combines this engine with an electric motor. Expect Honda's 1.6-litre diesel from the Civic and CR-V to also be offered to European buyers.

Links:
Autocar
Telegraph
Car and Driver (USA)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:19:49 PM by RichardA »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Honda Vezel urban SUV revealed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:23:38 PM »
definitely has the look of the CRV about it, especially the front - and a beauty queen compared to the incredibly ugly Nissan Juke (someone had a sense of humour - surely it was supposed to be the Nissan Joke).

it is actually better looking than latest generation Civic, which is horrible at the front and even worse at the back,  when I bought my Civic the salesman said I could have had a new one for the price I paid for my 18 month old 8th Generation, I told him there was a very good reason I wasn't buying the new model, Honda had ruined the styling completely and I much preferred old shape (despite not having a rear wiper, which you don't really need anyway).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:37:53 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:35 AM »
Exterior design +1

Interior design -1

Name -10

Looks like a promising package. However, a simple 4x4 option on the Jazz would have suited me better I think. I would prefer the interior space and versatility of the Jazz over a mini 'one trick' SUV.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
not everyone goes for interior space and versatility,  which is why the 'Mini' range continues to sell like hot cakes.  These 'handbag' cars are a study in how to make a fairly large car (and they are pretty large and bulbous) as small as possible inside, with rear seats only fit for small children.  Oh yes,  and expensive (just mention that they are made by BMW and you can charge what you  like, despite BMW not doing very well in reliability surveys lately).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1521

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
not everyone goes for interior space and versatility,  which is why the 'Mini' range continues to sell like hot cakes. These 'handbag' cars...

Agreed! 'Image' over 'function' is priority for many.

However, if Jazz's supension could be improved for ride and B-road handling (to approach the best of superminis in that respect), many more would 'buy' the little Honda's uniquely spacious interior and versatility... Such an 'easy' car in every respect - except for its suspension. IMO.

guest3170

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
Looks nice enough, I can see my kayak on top of that.

Not sure I can see the rest of my gear fitting inside it though :)

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
It looks a hell of lot better than the new Ford EcoSport:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/ecosport

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
The Ford front end looks awful. Would be very reluctant to see that when I switched on the gaarge lights..

And the back!  How o crash into things reversing.. Huge overhang of spare wheel..Not practical at all. Designed by numpties.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »
Maybe it will have a camera in the back, so where you can see where you are going, like the CR-V does
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags: news hrv