Author Topic: Thieves stole my catalytic converter and lambda sensors.  (Read 22451 times)

guest4871

Re: Thieves stole my catalytic converter and lambda sensors.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2019, 11:41:39 AM »
Looks like they are still around (in a different form):

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Products/453055345-model-802-vehicle-and-atv-alarm-system.aspx

plus a few other esoteric items.....

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dbjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2007 1.4 SE CVT
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »
Just had our stolen cat replaced with a cheap pattern cat.  My question is will theives target this one too or will they leave it alone as it is only the old ones they are interested in?   I thought the latter but have heard stories or Prius owners having had 3 cats stolen, the original and 2 replacements.

If necessary I will clamp or weld a length of rebar to the downstream pipe which would prevent them using a pipe cutter as they did before.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2019, 02:22:31 PM »
Perhaps they had fitted OEM parts.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
I don't think many of the scallywags that nick them know the difference, but I guess they'll take the rough with the smooth. If they weigh a dozen cats in and a couple of them are only worth £5-10, I don't suppose they will be too fussed.

dbjazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2019, 05:47:43 PM »
looking at the various youtube videos they don't seem to even bother looking to see if its a new one or not they just jackup the car and steal it.  So I'll clamp the rebar on. I suppose it will slow them down at least.  Why don't car alarms go off when a car is jacked up anymore?

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »
.... replaced with a cheap pattern cat.  My question is will theives target this one too or will they leave it alone

I face the same dilemma, but all I can do is change where I park it. Where it was out on the road it is now hidden from sight behind a wall.
 That's all I can do. Just hope they drive the roads looking for victims within easy sight other than poking around in places out of sight.

Denis

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2019, 06:27:22 PM »
looking at the various youtube videos they don't seem to even bother looking to see if its a new one or not they just jackup the car and steal it.  So I'll clamp the rebar on. I suppose it will slow them down at least.  Why don't car alarms go off when a car is jacked up anymore?
Hence while i am looking for a tilt switch and an alarm siren...just got to find out how to wire them in.

dbjazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 05:30:52 PM »
I've now bolted 3 M10 exhaust clamps over where they pipe cut it,  at the upstream end. Doubled up on the nuts. So a pipecutter won't work anymore.  I also put two nuts, tightened together, on the open end of one of the two spring bolts to the manifold. So if they ever tried to unbolt it (frankly I doubt they know how to undo a nut) then they will need 2 spanners not just one impact wrench, and a lot of fiddling about. 

I tippexed 'LOOK' and an arrow on the cat so they see my efforts before they cut the downstream end.

It's still vulnerable to a reciprocating saw so I've ordered some more clamps and some hardened steel cable, I will loop that tight under all the clamps . 

Hopefully even if it takes them a tenth as long to remove this as it took me to install it will put them off and they'll seek an easier target, maybe a Prius.

Denis

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »

I tippexed 'LOOK' and an arrow on the cat so they see my efforts before they cut the downstream end.

You might  need to write it in Romanian and Albanian too, for its these wonderful people who have been at it for the past few months in this area according to the Police.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 07:40:45 PM »

You might  need to write it in Romanian and Albanian too, for its these wonderful people who have been at it for the past few months in this area according to the Police.

Looks like free movement of people means our possessions are freely moved as well ( or removed as the case may be ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

KJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 P reg
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2019, 06:19:26 PM »
My cat was stolen from a secure park and ride with CCTV. Again, it took less than a minute. The thieves could be seen driving around and checking under old Hondas. I have a 2003 and the cat used was good quality. Again, I lost the connectors and it was hard to get any replacements. The repair and replacement cost just over £200. I was lucky the damage to the rest of the car was minimal; pros on the job!

I'm in Greater Manchester and we had a crime spree this year (2019) as I was the second cat loss that week at my garage. Just that garage, and my town has a lot of garages. The new replacement cats are not desired so my Jazz is now safe. Those old cats have very expensive metals in them and this can be a very lucrative trade. I believe Honda now has protective barriers over the cats to deter theft.

mrushton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »
Friend had his Prius robbed over Xmas. Parked outside a venue so I presume villains just drive around equipped to hit a suitable vehicle. Kwik fit fitted my converter  when it failed. £400 instead of £1k for OEM

dbjazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2020, 04:37:16 PM »
The new replacement cats are not desired so my Jazz is now safe.

I thought that but on watching the various YouTube videos what struck me was that the theives jacked up the victim's car immediately without even looking at the cat to see if it was original or not.   So it may not matter to them, they will still get something from the corrupt scrappie for their 40 seconds work.

I have now finished attaching an anti theft cable to the cat and upstream to the manifold.  I used ordinary 10mm plastic coated bike cable which turns out to be 5mm cable when I removed the plastic coating.  Still, any thicker and it wouldn't have fitted under the clamps.

Pics here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16uxZg_QyRsup56GdywJmRa8B5SVwLEyo/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mLaAULJOtDH2tEvTzjDq5TZf8tcATZ4G/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:42:47 PM by dbjazz »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
The new replacement cats are not desired so my Jazz is now safe.

I thought that but on watching the various YouTube videos what struck me was that the theives jacked up the victim's car immediately without even looking at the cat to see if it was original or not.   So it may not matter to them, they will still get something from the corrupt scrappie for their 40 seconds work.

Exactly my thoughts earlier. It won't put them off.

I don't think many of the scallywags that nick them know the difference, but I guess they'll take the rough with the smooth. If they weigh a dozen cats in and a couple of them are only worth £5-10, I don't suppose they will be too fussed.

Tags: