Author Topic: Looking for advice 1.5 CVT  (Read 1416 times)

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
Looking for advice 1.5 CVT
« on: January 03, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
I'm in the market for a new Jazz. There's plenty of choice over here regarding colors and engines at the moment for really decent prices (sale-off). I'm currently driving an Insight 2010. CVT and low-end torque of a hybrid is a very good combination (lacks high-rev torque though). So a 1.5 CVT would be my first choice. But it lacks some features a 1.3 CVT has in addition:

- rearview camera
- tinted rear windows
- automatic A/C
- keyless entry

Is it possible to add the rearview camera from the other model? The wide screen is already there.
Is it possible to change the A/C panel for the automatic version by just exchanging it or is there more involved in hardware?

But my main question is: how comfortable is the ride of a Jazz with the 16'' alloys?

Honda has a so-called history of very 'sporty' suspensions. The journalist wrote about the Insight 2010 back then: "the way it crashes over UK roads is ...". Even the US guys complained about it. Honda had to modify it on the Insight two times and it still doesn't seem right (compared to other hybrids like Toyota). The Insight had quite a lot of parts in common with the old Jazz (cost cutting I guess).

I also have a Civic Type R 2018 to compare to and in it's softest setting the ride is acceptable over bad roads or quite comfortable, well for a sporty hothatch with 20'' rims. I'm certainly expecting more comfort in a Jazz. 15'' would be favored.

So, how does the newest version of the Jazz ride: comfortable, dry, sporty, hard, harsh or bouncy? I hope to get more answers from UK owners because I recall UK roads less perfect than ours on the continent.

Thanks in advance.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Looking for advice 1.5 CVT
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
I moved from a Jazz MKIII MT to an HR-V CVT because it had a 1.5 engine and ticked all the boxes.  You may wan't to consider one of those.

JazzMusic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply. The HR-V is too big for me, I'd like to have a smaller car besides the Civic. The Turbo in the HR-V would be tempting but I can't justify nearly +8k (in local currency). Even without the Turbo the difference is still 5k.

Do you notice any pronounced differences while driving between the Jazz and the HR-V.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
Mine is not a turbo and yes the difference is very noticeable.  John Ratsey makes some good points in this thread https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9160.0 and lots of other threads.

It doesn't feel a lot bigger to drive but the space inside, especially the boot, is noticeably bigger.  Plus you get the extras that you were after and a sunroof, which I really like.  It makes it much lighter and roomier inside.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:38:07 PM »
I had a trip today in a friend's Skoda Octavia which seemed to float over the road imperfections and drew my attention that these are much more noticeable in the HR-V. I think that the Honda design ethos of "man maximum, machine minimum" results in limited travel suspension systems. I also think that Honda's marketing people do the comfort no favours by choosing low profile wheels and I wonder if they've ever travelling in what they sell on the typical UK roads (which are unlikely to get better).

The sunroof on the EX HR-V results in a lower ceiling and less headroom for the rear seat passengers although it might feel roomier in the front.

It might be best to focus on whether a Jazz can provide a comfortable ride. 15" wheels would be better than 16", if available. When I had a Mk 3 Jazz with 15" wheels I found the ride OK but recently had a trip in the rear seats of a Mk 2 Jazz and felt all the bumps in the road so it's possible that the rear of the Mk 3 isn't as comfortable as the front.

As for adding a rear view camera, it may be technically feasible but likely to have an exportionate cost. Parking sensors do an adequate job. I personally wouldn't lose sleep over tinted windows and automatic climate control while I don't want keyless entry given the potential security problems it creates.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzMusic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
There are aftermarket suspensions from Bilstein and KW for the Jazz. The KW kit is slightly adjustable in rebound but compression is predefined. I know both manufacturers and they are capable of offering a more sporty but still comfortable ride. My stress is on comfort.

That would be one way to go. The other one would be a completely different make/model like Renault Clio, Seat Ibiza or VW Polo (expensive for what it is).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 09:17:31 AM »
The cheapest is to fit 15" wheels with higher profile tyres.. I did this to my wifes Jazz after she noticed how much better the ride was on her winter 15" wheel / tyre setup - the 16" alloys now in garage and has 15" alloys with summer tyres as well as winter wheels,  another upside is more choice and cheaper tyres with 15".

4 relatives have had Skoda cars - now they are all back with with Japanese - I guess the suspension is probably the best part of a Skoda as they all had problems with other stuff on the cars. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 10:01:14 AM »
IMHO you shouldn't be looking to buy a new, or near new car and immediately making modifications, which will indubitably negate the warranty.  Features on cars differ depending on make and model and I think you should be scanning the market and test driving the ones that catch your eye.

Factory fitted options will almost always be cheaper that aftermarket ones.

JazzMusic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »
We've already went with 15'' instead of 16'' on the Insight and lowered the tire pressure from 2.3 to 2.0/1.7 bar  (I know but we don't drive faster than 65 mph), the ride got more comfortable but the high frequency jittering is still there/annoying. We're about to mount the latest evolution of the suspension. Honda went to softer springs (about -10%) on their latest specs. It already helped on the rear but still have to mount the front components.

For a car in its latest production year my hope is that it has the latest version of the suspension too. So, I think its the best way to testdrive it.

One question though: is it even allowed by regulation to mount 15'' rims on a 1.5 or and 16'' the only legal option the car comes with?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
As far as I know tha Jazz has always been sold and therefore homologated for both 15 and 16 inch rims,  look on drivers 'B' pillar for 'tyre information label' and whatever size is listed on there is OK to legally fit..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
Your best bet is to drive one, then you'll be able to compare with your current Honda's.

Tags: