Author Topic: Typical UK road to be built at Honda's test track in Japan  (Read 3189 times)

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
Typical UK road to be built at Honda's test track in Japan
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Someone at Honda does read the comments in this Forum on the sub standard ride of their Jazz cars.The current Autocar magazine states that'Honda is to build a stretch of UK-style road at its test centre in Japan.'I know from personal experience driving with my son around Tokyo and further afield that Japanese road surfaces are billiard table smooth and in no way represent our roads.Perhaps in 2-3  years time we will have super supple suspension  on our UK Jazz cars.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Typical UK road to be built at Honda's test track in Japan
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
That's good news. :)

I suggest that they include a section of Milton Road in Southampton. It's got more badly done patches than original surface.

John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:56:20 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

bucksfizz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
Oh I forgot to include the reason Honda have given for this extension to their Test Track-'Honda feels UK road surfaces are the worst for generating in-car noise etc'

guest1521

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
Toyota engaged ex-F1 driver Chris Amon to help with 'tuning' Corolla and Corona suspensions for NZ road conditions about 30 years ago... or so it was publicised and advertised at the time.  Previously 'soggy' suspensions were transformed to offer class-leading handling and ride characteristics. The improvement was not hype - to 'average' drivers it was very noticeable. Corolla became top seller... a status it maintained for many years, possibly to the present day.

So if Honda - in building its 'UK road' - is simply interested in improving 'in-car noise,' more's the pity though it is a positive step.

guest1272

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »
They'd better include a few of these for realism:

guest3735

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »
this news doesn't surprise me... although it is welcome news.
lexus has a section of german autobahn right down to the correct spec barriers.....
MAN trucks used to test shock absorbers on irish roads; don't know whether that still goes on.

recently changed all four of my tyres, using the EU noise ratings (as well as the other bits!)
used to have uniroyal rain experts; now have dunlop eco blue response.... noticeably quieter. road noise in this country is usually down to road construction; the noise is caused by the rubber hitting the chippings in the top surface... not a problem for the germs or the japanese.
jaguar was said to have superior ride quality when compared to BMW/Merc; jaguar usually only tested on british roads, the germans tested on their own (glass smooth) roads... upshot of which was that virtually every german car had bad tyre roar when driven in the uk.

Tags: